Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Opinions On Business-to-business 0845 and 0870 (Read 10,681 times)
Caldari

Opinions On Business-to-business 0845 and 0870
Feb 22nd, 2008 at 6:58pm

Hi all,

Firstly, this is my first post after reading through a few threads - great forum! Congrats with the contributions and underground community spirit here.

This thread I think may interest you and your opinions on this would make for entertaining reading.

A close friend of mine is thinking of setting up a small business, which is aimed at working with other businesses only. The general public will have no contact with this company. My friend is thinking of setting up a 0845 or 0870 number. She thinks it will make her start-up company more professional, as she says it's commercially the way forward in dealing with business communications blah blah blah.

After finding and reading this forum, I instantly thought of my friend's idea and started to wonder what your opinions would be.

Would 0845 or a 0870 business-to-business number be deemed 'ok', as both parties communications generate money, or should the 0845 and 0870 numbers be banished back to hell?
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2008 at 7:02pm by Caldari »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Opinions On Business-to-business 0845 and 0870
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 8:48pm

Caldari wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 6:58pm:
Would 0845 or a 0870 business-to-business number be deemed 'ok', as both parties communications generate money, or should the 0845 and 0870 numbers be banished back to hell?

Most of the money from these calls (especially 0845) does not go to the end owner of the number but to middle men like BT who originate and terminate and intermediately route the calls.

Your friend is therefore clearly sadly misguided and misinformed if she believes that using such numbers will increase the image of her business as all they will do is drive up the operating costs of all businesses to the benefit of no one other than telecoms middlemen who are performing a largely pointless function that could be eliminated if 084/7 numbers were banned.

She should get herself one of the new 03 numbers that provide the anonymous national image that she for some reason strangely craves (I always prefer to deal businesses who do not hide where they are based) and then she and not her customers can pay extra for any call routing features such as onwards redirection that she may require.

<div style=

IP Logged

Caldari

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:13pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 8:48pm:
Caldari wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 6:58pm:

Most of the money from these calls (especially 0845) does not go to the end owner of the number but to middle men like BT who originate and terminate and intermediately route the calls.

Your friend is therefore clearly sadly misguided and misinformed if she believes that using such numbers will increase the image of her business as all they will do is drive up the operating costs of all businesses to the benefit of no one other than telecoms middlemen who are performing a largely pointless function that could be eliminated if 084/7 numbers were banned.

She should get herself one of the new 03 numbers that provide the anonymous national image that she for some reason strangely craves (I always prefer to deal businesses who do not hide where they are based) and then she and not her customers can pay extra for any call routing features such as onwards redirection that she may require.

If companies didn't benefit from using such numbers, then it would be quite odd that huge corporate industries, financial and subscription, or service providers use these numbers. I think it's to basically an additional income to contribute towards covering enough ground to help pay their staff wages. Her logic is something along the lines of 'big name' and 'well respected' companies use these numbers to raise finance and she said something along the lines of, if she got an 0870 or whatever number, if she spent half an hour on the phone a day for every working day of the year, her business would bring in over £300 from taking incoming calls from other businesses.

Of course the providers of these numbers will benefit mostly, but at the end of the day, it's basically like a comission or an affiliate system, which is just another way to bring in extra resources for PR and customer/client relations.

But I do see your point in the long run. If a small business who uses one of those numbers for half an hour a day can bring in an extra £300 odd a year, huge corporates with massive call centres being busy 6hrs a day every day, will tally up some scary annual £££s.

I think she's more concerned about "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me" motto and looking at it from her point of view if she doesn't deal with the general public, it's just extra cash brought in from those who can afford it.

Personally, after reading some threads on here, there's a lot of info and eye-opening subjects that a lot of people out there won't be aware of. Cool forum...I'll pass on the addy to my friends who will no doubt benefit from it in a big way.  Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:28pm

Caldari wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:13pm:
But I do see your point in the long run. If a small business who uses one of those numbers for half an hour a day can bring in an extra £300 odd a year, huge corporates with massive call centres being busy 6hrs a day every day, will tally up some scary annual £££s.

And how will all these calls cost relative to a geographical (01/02) or "UK-wide" (03) call? A lot more than £300 pounds, which is why the telcos love them. They are a very inefficient way of transferring "revenue" from the caller to receiver.

I think she's more concerned about "If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me" motto and looking at it from her point of view if she doesn't deal with the general public, it's just extra cash brought in from those who can afford it.

Perhaps she may wake up when she looks at her phone bill following loads of calls to other companies using these numbers. It's a case of she rips others off who rip her off as well as those who choose not to use rip-off covert premium numbers.

IP Logged

Caldari

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:18pm

Dave wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:28pm:

And how will all these calls cost relative to a geographical (01/02) or "UK-wide" (03) call? A lot more than £300 pounds, which is why the telcos love them. They are a very inefficient way of transferring "revenue" from the caller to receiver.

Yeah, I totally agree with you there. The money in the hands of the providers is crazy. I see it as the 'Plan B' of the telecom v consumer wars which allowed them to drop the prices of their previous packages which more than makes up for the reductions to standard lines. It wasn't that long ago since calling abroad cost a bomb and being on the phone to someone outside the area cost more than these 'premium' lines do today. That's not to mention the dial-up days in comparison to our inclusive high speed broadband services. I think you know where I'm coming from. It's as tho we get a lot of services very affordable and lucritive, yet we have these numbers which kinda balance out the price falls. A very evil game indeed lol

Dave wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 9:28pm:

Perhaps she may wake up when she looks at her phone bill following loads of calls to other companies using these numbers. It's a case of she rips others off who rip her off as well as those who choose not to use rip-off covert premium numbers.

It's a sad day in a typical dog-eat-dog world, where the big companies get bigger and the smaller companies have to fight for all they have to stay afloat.

I totally see your point, but in the other hand, I also see hers. When a small business struggles to stay in business, the referral, affiliate and commission options offered by the big boys that make them grow bigger can in turn be enough bait to lure in the small fish, who need all the little worms they can get in order to pay the bills.

Business is business for most corporations out there and it's a huge struggle for the smaller fish in the big pond and the customers to fight the power.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:19pm by Caldari »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 11:00pm

Caldari wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:18pm:
Business is business for most corporations out there and it's a huge struggle for the smaller fish in the big pond and the customers to fight the power.

Yet it is supposed to be Ofcom's role under Section 3(i) of the Communications Act 2003 to attempt to redress that balance.

See www.ofcom.org.uk/about/sdrp/

What a shame that Ofcom's overpaid fatcats seem to regard the secret messages they receive from those in New Labour who can give them peerages and knighthoods as being more important than their official principal remit. Shocked Angry Cry

By the way I'm still not inclined to believe that your post is genuine and rather suspect you are actually setting up your own business and are attempting to justify your own use of scamming 084 or 087 prefixed numbers.

Your post reads rather like "I have a friend who has been charged with drunk driving who needs your advice".................

<div style=

IP Logged

Caldari

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 2:37am

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 11:00pm:
Caldari wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 10:18pm:

Yet it is supposed to be Ofcom's role under Section 3(i) of the Communications Act 2003 to attempt to redress that balance.

See www.ofcom.org.uk/about/sdrp/

What a shame that Ofcom's overpaid fatcats seem to regard the secret messages they receive from those in New Labour who can give them peerages and knighthoods as being more important than their official principal remit. Shocked Angry Cry

Interesting link. Who knows what Ofcom will do, or not do. Some people think they're just part of the 'industry game' lol But I read that they're clamping down slowly on some numbers. I guess they will work their way down the ladder of the most money draining numbers and offenders, before getting to these ones.

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008 at 11:00pm:
By the way I'm still not inclined to believe that your post is genuine and rather suspect you are actually setting up your own business and are attempting to justify your own use of scamming 084 or 087 prefixed numbers.

Your post reads rather like "I have a friend who has been charged with drunk driving who needs your advice".................

Cute post. But I think the vast paranoia concerning the premium numbers is starting to rub off on some people   Roll Eyes

I can understand where you're coming from though. I just like a bit of forum scandel here and there and knew this topic would get some kind of reaction, so I'll let you off on that one  Wink

My personal opinion on this is that I hate the majority of these numbers. The amount of times I've been transfered to 'Cowboys & Indians' when I've called Virgin Media each time my broadband goes down drives me nuts! But as for my friend, I can see it from her point of view. Those kinds of numbers when used by the big boys is no doubt massive peer pressure and when ya think about it you can understand why there's so many of them about.

I wish I came across this forum much sooner. So many 'real' numbers posted here that will save everyone a large chunk of money. The thread that made me laugh most was the Job Seekers Direct one. I'm gonna use that one myself Grin

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 8:22am

Caldari wrote on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 2:37am:
But as for my friend, I can see it from her point of view. Those kinds of numbers when used by the big boys is no doubt massive peer pressure and when ya think about it you can understand why there's so many of them about.

Peer pressure is only for those who can't take their own decisions and find it difficult to think for themselves.  Also usually it is something people get over by the time they are 30.  What age is your friend?

Does your friend not appreciate that a new business needs to do everything it can to attract new customers against the established names and to give customers some reason to want to deal with it.   Therefore using a Freephone 0800 number or a normal price 01, 02 or 03 prefixed number would bring customers her way that do not like being ripped off and who seek out the best value supplier.

Businesses pay phone bills the same way as everyone else so why would they not also care about being ripped off on outgoing phone calls.  Furthermore we know from people like insurance brokers who are forced to make a lot of calls to 084/7 that they hate these numbers and do everything they can to avoid them.

Perhaps you can indicate in what area your friend intends to open her business and why she thinks her business customers will think that it is an advantage to be overcharged to call her.  Perhaps you can try and explain to her that just because there are a lot of 084 and 087 numbers does not mean that people like using them.  Its not at all the same thing as women all suddenly deciding that they want to wear shorter skirts and so wanting to keep up with that kind of fashion.

If this is how your friend sees things then I rather doubt that her business is likely to be a success.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2008 at 8:40am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Caldari

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 3:45pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 8:22am:
Caldari wrote on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 2:37am:
But as for my friend, I can see it from her point of view. Those kinds of numbers when used by the big boys is no doubt massive peer pressure and when ya think about it you can understand why there's so many of them about.

Peer pressure is only for those who can't take their own decisions and find it difficult to think for themselves.  Also usually it is something people get over by the time they are 30.  What age is your friend?

I think you're being a bit niave regarding peer pressure lol it doesn't take a Peter Jones to work out that in order to compete with rivals you need to be on as equal terms as you possible can regarding communication and technology. I don't know much about business, but it's quite obvious that peer pressure is massive within any kind of business and in any kind of industry. From the cornershop to the big corporate industry. If your competitors have a telephone, you'll have a telephone, if your competitors have a fax, you'll get a fax, if they have an email address, you'll have one, if they have a website, you'll have one. Like I said, it doesn't take much thought to grasp that peer pressure is what will most probably drive businesses to go for these numbers.

In her defense, she's about 31, maybe even 32 and always gloats that every business advisor she's spoken to bigs up her business plan and cash flow thing. She's also never failed in business and she's owned at least two that I know of.

As for everything else you've said, it's not for me to comment on, but by going on what you've said, you're assuming way too much and I think your hatred for such numbers is kinda pushing you towards a biased tunnel vision like reply. I'm more of your annoyed consumer but willing to look at it from both sides type of person, you appear to be the full on angry consumer that just hates anything connceted to these numbers lol

I've passed on this thread to her, hopefully she'll reply, coz I like a good debate  Grin

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:29pm

Caldari wrote on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 3:45pm:
coz I like a good debate  Grin

I only like debating with people who actually want to learn something rather than just enjoying stirring things for their own sake.

Perhaps your friend is the lady who lanched www.0800100100.com and failed to understand that calls from mobiles (their main potential user base in an age when most homes now have ADSL internet access for looking up phone numbers) were not free of charge. Wink Roll Eyes Cry
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2008 at 3:06pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Caldari

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:24pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:29pm:
Caldari wrote on Feb 23rd, 2008 at 3:45pm:
coz I like a good debate  Grin

I only like debating with people who actually want to learn something rather than just enjoying stirring things for their own sake.

That's quite arrogant and quite ignorant coming from someone who assumes people over the age of 30 have no peer pressure and also doesn't actually understand, or want to understand that there's strong peer pressure in business. Maybe if you understood this, it would be you that would learn something too.  Tongue

This thread is mainly here to start a debate, afteral, that's one of the key uses of a forum. If people don't want to talk about the pros, aswell as the cons, that makes people narrowminded and that often generates hate and hate isn't good.

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 12:29pm:
Perhaps your friend is the lady who lanched www.0800100100.com and failed to understand that calls from mobiles (their main potential user base in an age when most homes now have ADSL internet access for looking up phone numbers) were not free of charge. Wink Roll Eyes Cry

There you go assuming again  Grin

I dislike these numbers, as much as the next person, but there's no need to try insult someone, because that makes you look like a sad rage driven loser.  Wink

When my friend posts, be nice, she's very business minded and may actually explain her side of things  Smiley

Considering nobody else wants to contribute to the thread, we might aswell call it a day, as there's no point repeat posting all day. lol We've both had our say and I'm out. It was fun  Kiss
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:33pm by Caldari »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 1:48pm

Providing 03 or 01/02 numbers creates an edge over those companies providing 084x/087x numbers and your friend can annotate as such where space permits, such as her company's website.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Caldari wrote on Feb 24th, 2008 at 5:24pm:
This thread is mainly here to start a debate, afteral, that's one of the key uses of a forum. If people don't want to talk about the pros, aswell as the cons, that makes people narrowminded and that often generates hate and hate isn't good.-

That debate has already previously been held as nauseam with various other abusers of 084/7 numbers who have tried to amuse themselves by attempting to justify their misdeeds here,

The purpose of this forum is to co-ordinate more effective lobbying against those who misuse these numbers rather than to have endless debates with those who are convinced that they can exploit Ofcom's lack of adequate regulations about proper price indications of the cost of uk phone calls to try to hoodwink the great British Public.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge