Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Nuisance" Call 0113 390 2000 (Read 10,438 times)
BenDToy

"Nuisance" Call 0113 390 2000
Mar 7th, 2008 at 12:12am

Sorry - I know this isn't the right place but people on here are so knowledgeable and helpful about these things....

I have received a number of calls to my mobile from the above number. I don't get the chance to answer it, or I have been unavailable, so it becomes a missed call. If I try to return the call (I know I shouldn't but it is a land line number) it cuts off immediately, or very quickly after one or two rings. In a fit of pique yesterday I called them continuously for about 30 minutes. No idea whether it causes them a problem or not, but it made me feel a lot better!

I guess it is probably a marketing call but it seems odd to leave a trail. I have googled the number, and the only thing I found was a forum with some other people complaining of the same thing.

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01133902000

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any comments

Ben

IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Re: "Nuisance" Call 0113 390 2000
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 1:07am

Its a BT Line in Leeds generating these calls if the correct cli is being displayed.

Ofcom offer advice here http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/landline/nuisance/silent/
on how to deal with them.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 9:03pm

Although formally retired from campaigning efforts, I have to address this one.

Ofcom has powers (under sections 128-131 of the Communications Act) to take action against every "person" responsible for this misuse of the telecommunications network. Its policy, revisions to which were recently put out to consultation, is hopelessly weak, and poorly implemented.

The proper procedure, for all those who have experienced these calls, is to make a formal complaint to Ofcom, demanding that its statutory powers be used. If phone companies have records of multiple complaints about this caller, then they should be asked to submit these also. If they do not do so, then Ofcom has the powers, and a duty, to demand that this information be provided.

You can read about the history of my campaign at the website.

IP Logged

BenDToy

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 9:48am

Thanks SCV and Harry. I will take action. I have also found a clue as to who this may be. I received a sales call from TalkTalk and it came from the number 0113 390 2021 - a bit too close to be a coincidence I think.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:33pm

Who are also reknowned as longstanding Silent Call abusers and were fined some paltry sum like £10,000 along with Bracken Bay Kitchens (who used to pester me despite my TPS registration) and various other other Silent Call abusers.

I admire SCV's faith that Ofcom will do its duty when its duty here is in favour of looking out for citizen consumers rather than protecting entrenched commercial interests (a duty for which it shows much more enthusiasm).  In my experience Ofcom will only ever do its duty on behalf of the UK citizen and the UK consumer after its failure to act is exposed in the press or brought to the attention of members of parliament.  Even then it usually still does not do its duty............. Shocked Angry Cry
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:28pm by DaveM »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 9:11pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:33pm:
I admire SCV's faith that Ofcom will do its duty

My only belief is that Ofcom is a little more likely to do its duty when this is explained to it and discussed in the media and in parliament. Those who believe that this is waste of time must deploy their energies elsewhere.

The penalties imposed on 4 companies were a very modest signal, misdirected and an inappropriate way of dealing with the matter. We wait to see what emerges in the two current cases, where a decision about possible future action is long overdue. This may however be waiting for the conclusions from the recent consultation exercise. We wait to see whether Ofcom will continue to tolerate (officially sanction) Silent Calls that it knows are being made as result of the use of Answering Machine Detection equipment.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 9:41pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Mar 16th, 2008 at 9:11pm:
We wait to see whether Ofcom will continue to tolerate (officially sanction) Silent Calls that it knows are being made as result of the use of Answering Machine Detection equipment.

Would you care to illucidate further on this point?

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 10:01pm

Many of the responses to the recent consultation refer to this.

If this point is to be discussed further in this thread, can I suggest that we do not discuss comments made by private individuals. It is what Ofcom does and does not do that is the matter of concern.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:31pm by DaveM »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge