Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surrey Police Prof Standards - Breaking The Law! (Read 11,644 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Surrey Police Prof Standards - Breaking The Law!
Apr 30th, 2008 at 5:34pm

I had cause today to want to make contact with Surrey Police's Professional Standards department (their complaints department to you or I).

You can therefore imagine my shock on finding that the one part of the Surrey Police that is supposed to investigate its own Police officers for unprofessional behaviour or gross misconduct is itself still flagrantly breaking the law (specifically Part III of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 regarding Misleading Price Indications).

On their own webpage on the Surrey Police website at www.surrey.police.uk/aboutus_item.asp?artid=4183 Professional Standards quote the phone number of 0845 125 22 22 and make the claim that it is a "local rate number"

What hope is there that Surrey Police will ever get rid of their ripoff 0845 non emergency calls number that they expect the public to call instead of clogging up 999 when their own Professional Standards department are themselves openly and contemptuously both breaking the law and ignoring the advice of the ASA, COI and the recommendations made by Sir David Varney regarding phone number use in the public sector.

I tried the Independent Police Complaints Commission to see if they would take a complaint about a Police Force's Professional Standards Department breaking the law but they said that their job was only to look in to complaints against individual Police officers.  Perhaps I therefore have to make a complaint against Surrey Police's Superintendent of Professional Standards for presumably signing off on the content of this web page?  Alternatively I perhaps need to file a complaint against whichever Superintendent, Commander or other senior officer (eg the Chief Constable) is responsible for the content of their website  Roll Eyes Angry

To make matters worse when I tried calling the Surrey Police switchboard on their geographic number listed on this website and asked to be connected to Professional Standards I was repeatedly put through to extensions of individual Police officers all of whom were on voicemail (at 2.30pm) and one of whom was out of the office until May 12th.  Reluctantly I also then called the supposedly dedicated 0845 number for Professional Standards only to find it then just put me through to the main Surrey Police switchboard (available on the geographic phone number on this website) who tried the same extensions with no one at their desk and all routing to voicemail.

Finally I was transferred to their Contact Centre via their switchboard and when I complained about the use of the 0845 number by Professional Standards I was told it was "local rate" and when I then complained this person was breaking the law by making such statements they then threatened to cut me off and simply refused to accept 0845 was not "local rate".

This seems to be another clear cut case of the Police apparently feeling that they are above the law. Shocked Angry Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008 at 6:22pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bill

Re: Surrey Police Prof Standards - Breaking The La
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 6:41pm

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:27pm

bill wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 6:41pm:

Yes I know about Essex Police's new 03 number but what about all the other UK police forces like Surrey still flagrantly ripping off the general public when they need to make contact with them? Shocked Angry

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:31pm

The main contact page for Surrey Police says:

Quote:
*Calls to 0845 numbers from a fixed line are charged to a maximum of 4p per minute. Network Tariffs apply when calling 0845 numbers from a mobile phone. Surrey Police do not profit from the provision of this number. All calls to 0845 125 2222 and 999 are recorded for monitoring purposes.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:40pm

Dave wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:31pm:
The main contact page for Surrey Police says:

Quote:
*Calls to 0845 numbers from a fixed line are charged to a maximum of 4p per minute. Network Tariffs apply when calling 0845 numbers from a mobile phone. Surrey Police do not profit from the provision of this number. All calls to 0845 125 2222 and 999 are recorded for monitoring purposes.

Yes I do know that Dave. Tongue

But its the web page of their Professional Standards department, who are supposed to put right complaints about failings by Surrey Police and their Police officers that my post is about.  Note that Surrey Police did formerly claim their 0845 number was "local rate" on the home page on their website.  That only came to an end some time after my questions as a local Councillor to Surrey Police on this issue at the annual conference of Surrey Police Authority at Epsom racecourse, I think at some point in 2005.

So my point stands.  That the part of Surrey Police meant to right wrongoing in the Police force are themselves currently breaking the law. Shocked Angry

Also they are undoubtedly to put it mildly being economical with the truth when they say they do not profit from the provision of their 0845 numbers.  We all know they get reduced price outgoing calls or a subsidised phone equipment maintenance contract as a result of the use of the 0845 phone number.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008 at 8:44pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - May 1st, 2008 at 11:21am

This page has now been amended:

Quote:
(Calls to 0845 numbers from a fixed line are charged to a maximum of 4p per minute. Network Tariffs apply when calling 0845 numbers from a mobile phone. Surrey Police do not profit from the provision of this number. All calls to 0845 125 2222 and 999 are recorded for monitoring purposes.)

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2008 at 11:29am

It seems members of the Surrey Police are possibly reading this website then. Wink

Alternatively I did also make a complaint to them yesterday about this on the phone but so far no one has called me back about it.

I'm still going to email the Chief Constable when I have a moment though to draw his attention to this matter and to ask when they plan to follow Essex Police's good example by replacing their 0845 number with an 03 prefixed number.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge