Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inland Revenue (Read 30,648 times)
bwg

Inland Revenue
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:42pm

Hi,

I have just recently found your site and as my phone package includes free UK calls (excluding 0845/0875) I am saving money, thanks.

I phoned my tax office today using the geographical number listed on the main database and after taking me through my security, the tax rep said I had used a number intended for people phoning from outside the UK, that I was lucky to get through to the right tax office and I should have used the 0845 number. I explained that I pay for 0845 numbers and could she give me another geographical number, but she said that the 0845 number was the only one to use when phoning from the UK. She was very polite and did not have a ‘jobs worth’ attitude and she did answer my tax query.

Is this a normal response that I should just ignore? I also don’t know how I could have got through to the wrong office as the area code was the right one for the tax office location.  Smiley

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Inland Revenue
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:47pm

Others have suggested putting 141 in front of the number and pretend you are on holiday! However you have to be prepared if they want to call you back and you will have to come up with an excuse!!!!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 4:39pm

sherbert wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:47pm:
Others have suggested putting 141 in front of the number and pretend you are on holiday! However you have to be prepared if they want to call you back and you will have to come up with an excuse!!!!

That would be were having an 0845/0870 number yourself for these people would come in handy, you could say it is transfer number, well they lie about their NGNs!

IP Logged

greg

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 2:39pm

sherbert wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:47pm:

generally speaking,you wont get rung back by many of these institutions.
anyway,why should you pay to ring them twice.
i just got my phone bill today and like you and a lot more people here,i have inclusive uk calls in my package.
there was £18.50 extra for phone calls on the bill.
being from ireland and living in the uk,i do ring ireland,but this was only approx£8.
i dont mind this,but the £10 charge annoyed me greatly.
i discovered some of the others living here are ringing these 0870 numbers.i have now shown them where i have this site bookmarked and warned them against ringing 0870s in future.
this is the only country in europe where this extortion goes on.
i cant understand why the government,who are big offenders themselves allow this rip off to continue.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 3:06pm

Whilst I hate any use from our dear government in using these expensive numbers, I fear if they stopped using them they would find another way to make up the shortfall in revenue. A bit like telling the Great British Public to stop smoking and drinking, if they did they would be billions short in the exchequer Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 5:10pm

greg wrote on Jul 9th, 2008 at 2:39pm:
this is the only country in europe where this extortion goes on.

No it is not.

Ireland has a website called SayNoTo1890 against 0818, 1850 and 1890 prefixes. Website against Spanish 902s, Belguin site and Germany all have similar sites.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:34am

This issue has already been covered way back, and there is a fool-proof solution to this without phoning the numbers intended for use when abroad. You can actually get HMRC to telephone you back (thus at no cost to you) See http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1175528146

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:54pm

dorf wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 12:34am:
there is a fool-proof solution to this

Unless those who are unaware of this technique or unwilling to use it are to be classified as "fools", it would be fairer to say that there is a workaround available, rather than a solution.

Even alternative direct geo numbers, which are very valuable and worthy of publication, are not a "solution" to the improper funding of public services by service users.

IP Logged

glennal

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 11:27am

Yes have been trying to get an alternative to HMRC's 0845 306 1204 'Time to pay Helpline' number - no matter where you phone on the alternative Geographical nos - nobody can put you through. I's a joke! Would therefore be grateful if someone has managed to obtain the real number behind the above 0845 one.

Best Regards&&&&Glenn Lewis&&&&Glenn Lewis CeMAP Cert CII (MP)&&Alexander MORTGAGE SERVICES

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:29pm

Bear in mind that if you have a BT landline there is no charge for an 0845 number depending on which option you are on

See here

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_adp.php?p_sid=GmSUH3rj&...
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:31pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:33pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:29pm:
Bear in mind that if you have a BT landline there is no charge for an 0845 number depending on which option you are on

Yes, people are being caught by that.

The exact T&Cs BT use are (the highlighted part in parenthesis is my addition):
Quote:
If you're on the Unlimited Weekend Plan (MOST PEOPLE), these calls will be free at the weekends, if you're on the Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan, they're free evenings and weekends and if you're on the Unlimited Anytime Plan, they're free 24/7.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:34pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:44pm

Is the free calls thing being misunderstood?

If you are on a BT residential line outside the "free" calls period, calls to 0845 numbers are cheaper than to geographic alternatives. For these callers we should perhaps be promoting 0845 numbers as alternatives to geographic numbers.

It is now only non-BT callers who now need geographic alternatives to 0845.

It was those calling within their BT packages who needed them until recently.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:50pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:58pm

Heinz wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:33pm:
sherbert wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:29pm:

Yes, people are being caught by that.

The exact T&Cs BT use are (the highlighted part in parenthesis is my addition):
Quote:
If you're on the Unlimited Weekend Plan (MOST PEOPLE), these calls will be free at the weekends, if you're on the Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan, they're free evenings and weekends and if you're on the Unlimited Anytime Plan, they're free 24/7.

There is this to take into account...

Fair Usage Policy

You can make 1000 minutes of calls a month, or 150 calls a month. This is considerably more than most customers are likely to ever make. If you exceed either of these limits you'll just be charged the standard BT rates until further notice.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 7:23pm

sherbert wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:58pm:
There is this to take into account...

Inland Revenue may keep you on hold for a while and may not resolve your query at the first attempt, but are we seriously suggesting that a monthly limit of 1000 minutes and 150 calls is likely to be exceeded by someone sorting out their personal tax affairs on a residential line. That is up to £31.60 worth of daytime 0845 calls at standard rates for less than £5 extra.

It is unacceptable for HMRC to use revenue sharing numbers and BT is guilty of all manner of tricks, but less us remain proportionate and focussed on the real issues.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 7:41pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 7:23pm:
sherbert wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:58pm:
are we seriously suggesting that a monthly limit of 1000 minutes and 150 calls is likely to be exceeded by someone sorting out their personal tax affairs on a residential line. That is up to £31.60 worth of daytime 0845 calls at standard rates for less than £5 extra.

Not at all. I was pointing out BT's Fair User's Policy, this is for ALL 0870 & 0845 numbers, not just the ones to the Inland revenue
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 7:42pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge