<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sos (Read 6,310 times)
bomby

Sos
Aug 11th, 2008 at 6:41pm

I started a thread last night asking for help on getting alternative numbers because I keep drawing a blank on a list of abt 20 numbers I have.

Funny enough my thread was deleted why was that? Im simply asking for help. If someone can help pliz gimme an alternative number to 08717762020.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Sos
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 6:52pm

jgxenite and myself responded by pointing out that the number is an international dial-through number. Therefore, it's a valid use of such a number where some of the higher call cost goes towards paying for connecting the call abroad. If you dialled the geographical alternative, then the company operating it wouldn't receive any payment for forwarding the call to the foreign destination and will still incur costs.

I removed your thread earlier today on as I noticed you had visited the forum since reading our responses.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 6:52pm

I would think it's because that's a number used to offer 'cheap' calls to international destinations, as as such, is a use which is approved of.  The amount you are paying for the call pays for the cost of the international leg.  Bypassing this is a quick way to drive the company out of business.  The example you quote is often used for calls to Ecuador, and is charged at 7p/min.   You can get calls for about half this via otherproviders, e.g. various betamax brands offer calls via VOIP for €0.04/min.  (See http://backsla.sh/betamax and choose a brand that best matches your calling patterns.)

We normally only help finding numbers for companies where the only reason for an 08* is to make profit off you rather than give you a service for the money.

Basically, read the stickies about posting requests.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2008 at 7:03pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 7:04pm

I'd like to add something to the replies above and that is if we did provide alternative numbers (if we knew them) to dial-through providers then as Dave points out the company concerned doesn't make any money (as this is most likely their only source of income) which in turn could mean it going out of business thereby meaning you would have to possibly pay normal price for making international calls via your normal telephone provider and it's likely that your normal telephone provider charges a fortune for international calls.

IP Logged

bomby

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 8:36pm

Thanx guys.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 8:43pm

bomby wrote on Aug 11th, 2008 at 8:36pm:
Thanx guys.

No problem.

We will be happy to help for other requests. The Call Providers section is the place to discuss international call providers if you need any help with that. MoneySavingExpert.com's International Call Checker may also be of some assistance to you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge