Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
E.On central heating cover (Read 15,861 times)
pookie1981

E.On central heating cover
Oct 16th, 2008 at 12:40pm

There are lots of numbers for E-on but I dont think any relate to the heating insurance cover, and I cant find either of their 0800 number on here.

They havent turned up to an appointment today and I'd like to call them!!

0800 068 7084
0800 015 8072

Any suggestions?

To the kind answerer below, I have included the numbers I need replacing in the post!!!
I dont know about any third parties, the service is provded by E-on
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:19pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: E-on central heating cover
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:12pm

But what numbers do you have for them? Presumably you have a non-geographical number you don't want to call. It would help if you gave us that number. Also, any details of who actually provides the service (is it a third party contractor?) would be useful.

IP Logged

pookie1981

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:16pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:12pm:
But what numbers do you have for them? Presumably you have a non-geographical number you don't want to call. It would help if you gave us that number. Also, any details of who actually provides the service (is it a third party contractor?) would be useful.

Please see my modification above.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Their website gives the number 0800 051 1470 for faults and repairs.

Please could you clarify what you are looking for? 0800 numbers are free from landlines. Are you using a mobile, so want a geographical number? Have you tried dial-through services for freephone numbers? Try 0200 222 0700 or 0200 222 0900 - they should be included in your monthly minutes.

IP Logged

pookie1981

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:23pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:19pm:

Please could you clarify what you are looking for? 0800 numbers are free from landlines. Are you using a mobile, so want a geographical number? Have you tried dial-through services for freephone numbers? Try 0200 222 0700 or 0200 222 0900 - they should be included in your monthly minutes.

I havent tried those numbers but am dubious as other numbers like that have charged to my mobile. I do not have access to a landline at the moment. I thought the idea of this site was to give alternatives to these 0800/0870  numbers?
I want a non 0800 (or geographical number as it seems to be called) number to get through to E-on Customer Services -  but it is not the fuel supply, it is a central heating/boiler insurance I have taken out which is totally different from the fuel supplier people.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:34pm

pookie1981 wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:23pm:

I havent tried those numbers but am dubious as other numbers like that have charged to my mobile. I do not have access to a landline at the moment. I thought the idea of this site was to give alternatives to these 0800/0870  numbers?
I want a non 0800 (or geographical number as it seems to be called) number to get through to E-on Customer Services -  but it is not the fuel supply, it is a central heating/boiler insurance I have taken out which is totally different from the fuel supplier people.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you are "dubious as other numbers like that have charged to my mobile". These numbers are London numbers as they begin 020 and will be charged as such. You won't find an alternative which is free from your mobile.

The 020 numbers will be charged exactly the same as any other geographical alternative we might find.

There is an existing thread on E.ON here where I have compiled a list of lots of alternatives. When I tried them, they fell into a number of different groups which answered the same.

All entries in the database for E.ON are listed as such. Note the name "E" dot "ON" and not "E" hyphen "ON". Sorry to be pedantic, but if you searched for "e-on" then you won't find anything.

IP Logged

pookie1981

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:40pm

Dave wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:34pm:
pookie1981 wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:23pm:

I havent tried those numbers but am dubious as other numbers like that have charged to my mobile. I do not have access to a landline at the moment. I thought the idea of this site was to give alternatives to these 0800/0870  numbers?
I want a non 0800 (or geographical number as it seems to be called) number to get through to E-on Customer Services -  but it is not the fuel supply, it is a central heating/boiler insurance I have taken out which is totally different from the fuel supplier people.

I am not sure what you mean when you say you are "dubious as other numbers like that have charged to my mobile". These numbers are London numbers as they begin 020 and will be charged as such. You won't find an alternative which is free from your mobile.

The 020 numbers will be charged exactly the same as any other geographical alternative we might find.

There is an existing thread on E.ON here where I have compiled a list of lots of alternatives. When I tried them, they fell into a number of different groups which answered the same.

All entries in the database for E.ON are listed as such. Note the name "E" dot "ON" and not "E" hyphen "ON". Sorry to be pedantic, but if you searched for "e-on" then you won't find anything.

Thanks but I found all the E.on numbers and they all relate to the fuel supplier numbers, not what I am looking for - it is not the same place. It is a totally different service.
London numbers should be 0207 or 0208 (I lived there for 31 years!), I havent come across  0200 unless they have been introduced recently.

Thanks anyway. I have to call them now so will call the normal number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:57pm

pookie1981 wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:40pm:
Thanks but I found all the E.on numbers and they all relate to the fuel supplier numbers, not what I am looking for - it is not the same place. It is a totally different service.
London numbers should be 0207 or 0208 (I lived there for 31 years!), I havent come across  0200 unless they have been introduced recently.

London numbers are infact 020 followed by an eight digit local number. Most of these local numbers start 7 and 8 and some newer ones start 3.

Numbers starting 0 and 1 have been allocated within all area codes and are known as "national dialling only" which means you must dial the code, even when calling from a phone within the same STD area. But the cost will still be the same.

The code for London is therefore 020 and not 0208 or 0207. If you are in London and you dial seven digits, you won't get through. I assure you that as these numbers start 020, that they are London numbers and you will therefore be charged as such.

As for an alternative, perhaps this insurance cover is provided by a third party such as an insurance company rather than E.ON direct. Knowing the name of this company might lead us to an alternative.
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:10pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: E.On central heating cover
Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:18pm

I assume it's this, so looks like it's provided in-house:
http://www.eonenergy.com/At-Home/Products/Central-Heating/Maintenance+Plans+More...

The 0800 number I provided was from the contact page there.

I actually applaud E.On for providing an 0800 number, rather than ripping people off when they have to make a claim. If you don't have a landline, why not walk round the corner to a phone box? You should also ask them for a geographical number. Unlike 087 operators, 0800 numbers cost them something for each call, so it's no loss to them if you don't make use of the freephone service.

I do think it's time mobile operators were forced to at least treat 080 calls the same as geographical numbers. I can see no justification at all for charging a premium for them.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:20pm

It does seem odd that you would call an 0800 number that you know will be charged at a premium rate, yet you won't call an 020 0 number that we are assuring you will cost the same as a geographical number!

IP Logged

pookie1981

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:26pm

jrawle wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:20pm:

It does seem odd that you would call an 0800 number that you know will be charged at a premium rate, yet you won't call an 020 0 number that we are assuring you will cost the same as a geographical number!

Ok, 2 points. I am at work and cannot therefore just stroll off and call from a non-existent phone box.  And no, I cant use the company phone as it isnt an emergency.
Secondly, I do not know what these 0200 numbers mean, I have never heard of using them and it would have been kinder for someone to explain them to me, and what they do, rather than question my choice of number to call.

E.on have failed to turn up for an appointment and I have now called them and even they dont know why the engineer hasnt turned up. I havent had hot water for over 2 weeks and now I'm getting grumpy.

Thanks everyone but lets leave it at that.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: E.On central heating cover
Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 4:33pm

I had assumed you were at home if you were waiting for a service engineer to turn up.

It might be worth asking at work whether you can use the phone to make freephone calls. It probably doesn't cost them anything, and it makes no difference in terms of lost work time whether you use your mobile or a work phone. What it could mean is that you spend the whole day off work while waiting for tradesmen if you are unable to make calls to make the arrangements.

The numbers 020 0222 0700 or 020 0222 0900 are examples of dial-through numbers. After you call the numbers, they will prompt you to dial the freephone number you wish to call. As far as your mobile provider is concerned, you are calling a London number, so the cost of the calls is taken from your inclusive minutes (assuming you are on a contract mobile).

I don't think it's likely that you would be charged extra for calling an 020 0 number on your mobile. The worst that can happen is that it might say the number isn't recognised. Unfortunately there's no compulsion for any phone operator except BT to provide access to every number. People on the Moneysavingexpert forums do report success with those numbers, however:
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=187258
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=833241

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge