Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing / deleting numbers from database (Read 7,984 times)
waltonbureau

Changing / deleting numbers from database
Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:21pm

I have used this site a lot and really support it, but find it very basic (I suspect that is to do with money...) Undecided

Anyway, my problem is that I find it is easy to add a new number to the database by clicking on the link, but I can't see how I report when a number doesn't work?  I just went through multiple numbers to try to get to Homebase Spend and Save and none work.  In fact, I had a long conversation with a Switchboard operator who said my only choice was an 0845 number or to write! Despite being completely sympathetic, I wasn't going to get where I wanted.

Anyway, I would like to have that information added to the database before someone else wastes time and possibly money on the geographic call.  Also, if those numbers are unverified are they treated differently?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Changing / deleting numbers from database
Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:37pm

If you post a message on the forum, I will amend/add/remove the relevant entry. The best place is in the Requests section, even for numbers which no longer work, because knowing them might help us uncover another suitable number. Where a number is found not to work, please tell us why, eg constantly busy, not answered, not recognised. Also, it is likely that another suitable alternative number is required, so posting in the Requests section will also get help from others.

In all cases, post on the end of the existing thread for that company, if it exists.

If you know of any numbers which work but are currently unverified, and you post a message to that effect I will pick up on it usually within a day. Same goes for ones to remove.

The unverified listings are ones which have been submitted by visitors and not checked by site admin. If we are notified that a number does work, then we can move it to the verified listings.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:42pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

waltonbureau

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:33pm

Thanks, Dave.  I have just posted to the Requests.  I had a quick look through to see if I could help anyone or pick up any information but there are just too many pages!

You say:
In all cases, post on the end of the existing thread for that company, if it exists.
But how do I find that?  Is there a search function for companies? 

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:38pm

waltonbureau wrote on Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:33pm:
You say:
But how do I find that?  Is there a search function for companies?

The search facility for the forum (rather than the database) is on the blue bar under the SAYNOTO0870.COM banner at the top. I advise you search all postings so where it says "This post was made in the last" select "(all posts)" rather than the default which is one year.

I say one thread for one company, but large companies which have many departments that may not really be connected should be separated. If there is an existing thread I will split/join them as necessary.

I will amend the Homebase entries you have referred to in your posting later.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:42pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:05pm

I find the forum search function quite temperamental. Also, having separate search functions for the forum and database is quite confusing (as is the entire site navigation, let's be honest!)

One enhancement would be to have links to the relevant threads alongside each entry in the database, allowing people to report successful or non-working numbers. If the relevant field is added now, links to threads can be added as the database is added to / amended.

IP Logged

waltonbureau

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 4:35pm

I have to agree that the entire site navigation is a bit of a mess.  I am not new to using the site (though new to posting) and have used it a lot without knowing how to report discrepancies until I took the time today to sit down and ask (time I really don't have)! 

I feel the visibility of how to navigate around it very poor, especially as I am involved in a computer business that does website development.  Large clear links and buttons would be more helpful.

I also find the Google ads for 0845 and 0871 numbers ironic in the extreme!  I know the site needs to be paid for but REALLY...................... Undecided

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 9:43pm

waltonbureau, the site has essentially remained unchanged for years now. It is quite frustrating for some long-standing members, particularly those of us who have the know-how when it comes to producing websites. But the owner of the site shows no interest in improving the site, and it is his site after all, so he's entitled to run it as he sees fit.

The AdSense ads have been discussed many times before. As you know, the adverts are chosen automatically by Google. While it may seem ironic, remember that it means the 0870 providers are helping to fund the site that aims to put them out of business. The links also provide a good opportunity for people to see for themselves what sort of revenue-sharing deals are available to people taking an 0870 number. I don't believe anyone will only think of using an 0870 number because they've seen those adverts.

IP Logged

waltonbureau

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:16am

You have a good point, jrwale. Users of this website are not likely to link through to those Google ads, other than for the reason you mention of seeing what we are up against.

It's a shame the website isn't moving with the times as it has actually become more and more important.  I know businesses are being urged to move to 03 numbers, but when even my smallish physiotherapy practice gets an 0845 number they seem to be more and more on the increase.  And when providers like O2 stop including 08 numbers in inclusive minutes it becomes more and more important to get landline phone numbers.

It is not like the website isn't well promoted or unpopular - it looks to me like it would warrant taking it to another level.  Look at the success of Martin Lewis these days!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge