Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
DWP/JOBCENTRE PLUS (Read 152,047 times)
scotitch

Re: DWP/JOBCENTRE PLUS
Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:39am

Dave wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 7:17pm:
scotitch wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 5:16pm:
EDIT we do not transfer the call we actually have to dial the 0845 using a prefix of 9 to get an outside line, i dont know if this makes a difference perhaps you could clarify this for me as i dont like passing on wrong information.

Thanks for clarifying this. Callers will be charged for the geographical number which they dialled. Your office will probably incur charges for calls forwarded to the 0845 numbers, in exactly the same way as it would if you dialled a 0845 number from your office phone.

scotitch wrote on Nov 14th, 2008 at 5:33pm:
Okay i will answer as best i can, firstly all the switchboards are jobcentre plus so we only transfer calls to jobcentre staff those who work in the Benefit delivery centres are not classed as such.
Secondly the 0845 numbers are completely seperate from the swithboard service and are answered by DWP staff who as far as i know do not transfer calls to us on the switchboard.

Ah right. That explains why you can't put calls through as I had assumed that the staff answering the 0845 numbers were in the respective JobCentres.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I now know the real reason for our instrutions not to dial the number for customers.

In some cases the people are in the same building but are not frontline JCP staff, recently in one of the buildings i work in, as switchboard is not my only duty, just part of a range of office support services that the DWP contracted out to the company i now work for(I was part of DWP previously) the 0845 telephone sections have been given geographical numbers which they are unwilling to give to us but i do believe are being put on letters written to customers, but that was just something a BDC staff member told me so may also be wrong, To further clarify for you JCP and BDC work as if they were seperate companies even if they share premises with each other, I saw something earlier in the thread about social fund calls, the level of staffing for social fund and crisiss loans is far to low, In my area we have gone from having 2 buildings dealing with these calls covering a smaller area to 1 centralised building covering not only my area but several others without increasing the staff enough to cope with the volume of calls, This also applies for benefits such as income support, incapacity, JSA and the new ESA benefit as well, These benfits are no longer dealt with by any local offices but have been centralised to certain offices again covering larger areas.Another part of the problem is that the actual phone system is far from perfect(the staff are to blame as well) and calls are either dropped or misdirected by the system quite a lot which is constantly reported but BT will not act on these issues until DWP has done several different things themselves to try and correct it leading to very long delays for anything to be done about it.Up here we changed the entire phone system alsmost 2 years ago and are still seeing many of the problems we have had from the begining.Good advise was given earlier in the thread about contacting your local MP on all of these issues, I would go one step further and say dont just contact them but pester them until something is done, sorry for the long post that jumps about but i hear and feel the frustration people have with these issues whenever i am on switchboard and most of the staff on the switchboards feel the same way as me.

IP Logged

redant

Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 11:23am

Quote:
From jrawle yesterday at 11.53 am
This is totally disgraceful. Anyone claiming such an allowance is the least likely to be able to afford to pay for a call, and least likely to have a landline. They should provide a freephone or geographical number, which are at least reasonable if called from a phonebox. Is there an option of attending an office in person to claim, or does it have to be done over the phone?

This question did arise and we were told that no face to face facility now exists-everything had to be done over the telephone.  Have not tested this but if I receive any further feedback will advise.  Perhaps scotitch will know as he is at the point of delivery and can provide this information?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2008 at 11:53am

scotitch wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:39am:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I now know the real reason for our instrutions not to dial the number for customers.

Indeed. So what they're saying is that it's OK for Joe Public who is out of work and/or claiming benefits to call the premium 0845 number, but not alright for the office which operates the helpline to do the same?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

scotitch

Reply #18 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 5:13pm

redant wrote on Nov 15th, 2008 at 11:23am:
Quote:
From jrawle yesterday at 11.53 am
This is totally disgraceful. Anyone claiming such an allowance is the least likely to be able to afford to pay for a call, and least likely to have a landline. They should provide a freephone or geographical number, which are at least reasonable if called from a phonebox. Is there an option of attending an office in person to claim, or does it have to be done over the phone?

This question did arise and we were told that no face to face facility now exists-everything had to be done over the telephone.  Have not tested this but if I receive any further feedback will advise.  Perhaps scotitch will know as he is at the point of delivery and can provide this information?

We have been told to put ESA calls through to the jobcentre plus staff so i woulds imagine it is possible to come into your local jobcentre and get the form, I will check this tomorrow and let you know, Alll other new claims calls are done on a free phone number up here so i will also check if ESA has been added to this service.The part about picking up the form maybe difficult though as actually getting the forms has been another problem we have, as the supplier of our forms ion are a complete nightmare and the forms are constantly out of stock this is hopefully changing as they are moving to a direct print as you order system but as with all things DWP it could take a while.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2008 at 6:52pm

Is it not possible to down load a form? I would be surprised if you couldn't, that would be a cheaper option for the DWP. Or even fill it in on line?

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:12am

Quote:
So what they're saying is that it's OK for Joe Public who is out of work and/or claiming benefits to call the premium 0845 number

Contrast this with the billions of pounds our beloved government is spending on various bale-outs .......

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:26pm

lompos wrote on Nov 30th, 2008 at 11:12am:
Contrast this with the billions of pounds our beloved government is spending on various bale-outs .......

The saddest thing about the stonewall like refusal of major government operations like DWP, NHS Direct and HMRC to switch away from using 0845 numbers to 03 is that it is not  that it is based on any significant real world financial cost in doing so but purley on bureaucratic arrogance that they have always used 0845 up to now and that loads of other call centres still do so that must make it alright.

Surrey County Council tells me they will be paying 0.5p per minute incoming call cost to Cable & Wireless on the new 0300 and 0345 numbers they are introducing today and that this is only a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the total cost per day and per week and per call of operating their Contact Centre.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:27pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
DWP Job Centre Plus
Reply #22 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:03am

I have sent this letter to seven different heads of Department in the DWP and the relevent employment departments. I think it is discusting when it can cost upwards of £1 to contact the JSA and that is from a landline, I dread to think what it is costing some of these people that ring on a mobile.

Can anything be done to put preasure on these departments to use the 03 range or even 0800 range. Can we start a campaign simular to the one with the doctors surgeries. I have sent the letter to the relevent haads of detpartment

I am contacting you today in regard to the contact costly numbers that JSA Benefit clients are forced to use when contacting either the DWP or Job Centre Plus.

At present I am in an unfortunate position that I am in receipt of JSA and to my horror I discovered that an 0845 number is used at the point of entry when requiring additional information. I do appreciate that there are other alternatives to make contact but they are not always convenient and in some cases clients are not able to put pen to paper. Because of the high volume of calls in some cases it has took me up to 30 minutes before I had the opportunity to talk to an advisor, this cost me a connection fee and an addition price per minute, in my view this is unacceptable

There are a large number of your clients that only have pay as you go mobile phones and the average call cost will be in excess of 0.20p per minute, I have been on a call for 30 minutes this cost me around 0.60p this is an unacceptable practice when there is an alternative 03 number range that are included in inclusive call packages. My research has also revealed that some clients have paid upwards of £3.00 when contacting the JSA Centre.

Suggested Solution - I propose that all numbers related to the JSA service should have an 03 number, the 03 number range has been allocated to public service bodies and they are included in all call packages. I propose that all services should be part of the 03 number range these numbers are for the purpose of public services to prevent telecommunication companies charging over the odds for specific services.

May I take this opportunity of thanking you for your time, I will look forward to your reply.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #23 - Nov 3rd, 2009 at 12:43am

Members may be interested in an exchange that took place on Monday evening in a "Twitterview" with DWP Minister Jim Knight conducted by Think Politics.

The relevant simple exchange was as follows:

Quote:
[Q4] PAYG users pay a premium of 20p / min to subsidise JobCentre Plus on 0845 numbers by 2ppm – when will this stop?

[Q4 Reply] We are working on this. JCP makes nothing out of 0845, & the main ones free from landlines, need better from mobiles

Twitter postings (tweets) are limited to 140 characters

There was a further exchange on Twitter between the questioner and Mr Knight

Quote:
NHSPatient @jimknightmp #tptv JCP not telling the "full" truth, it benefits by 2ppm on ALL 0845 calls. The extra 18ppm on mobiles is a red herring.

jimknightmp @NHSPatient I'll check - I'm advised we used to but not anymore #tptv

Mr Knight has acknowledged a further briefing sent privately.

The battle with DWP will continue - an often repeated solid position will need to be undermined - see this posting re an FOI request.

The formal intervew is reproduced in a Thiink Politics blog entry. Twitter users may wish to note use of the #tptv hashtag on all relevant postings.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #24 - Nov 12th, 2009 at 5:52am

The instruction to call back to mobile callers to 0800 and 0845 numbers, referred to here, is now in the public domain.

See this video clip and the associated media release.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Government hypocrisy: MPs get geo numbers for DWP
Reply #25 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:12pm

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 09 Nov 2009 (pt 0023)

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm091109/text/91109w0...

<<
Telephone Services

Mark Williams: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what her Department's policy is on call charges for hon. Members for use of a telephone hotline on behalf of their constituents; and if she will make a statement. [292830]

Jim Knight: In Jobcentre Plus (part of the DWP) district managers are in regular contact with their local MPs in order to offer the personal assistance they need. Any hon. Member with a query about any benefits should contact the Jobcentre Plus district manager who has overall responsibility for the service to local residents. This service is provided through the district manager's office using geographic numbers and will give hon. Members effective support for a range of different queries. Jobcentre Plus will offer a call back service should any MP express their concerns in respect of charges.

The Pension, Disability and Carers Service provide a dedicated telephone service for the express use of Members of Parliament who require information on pensioner or disability and carer-related matters. The helpline numbers are 0113 232 4279 (Pensions) and 01253 333233/333533 (Disability/Carers), both geographic numbers. PDCS will also offer a call back service should any MP express their concerns in respect of charges.
>>

There we have it; MPs get preferential treatment from the Government. Mr Knight even explicitly states that these are geographical numbers. But Joe Public looking for a job or enquiring about a pension must ring a covert premium number. Lips Sealed Angry
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:20pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Re: Government hypocrisy: MPs get geo numbers for
Reply #26 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 1:01am

Dave wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:12pm:
There we have it; MPs get preferential treatment from the Government. Mr Knight even explicitly states that these are geographical numbers. But Joe Public looking for a job or enquiring about a pension must ring a covert premium number. Lips Sealed Angry

MPs pursuing constituency casework get privileged access to ministers, government and other other public sector bodies as well as most private sector organisations. This is because of the job that they do as our elected representatives. The costs they incur in doing this work is claimable as an expense and would normally be claimed. An MP looking for work because they did not fancy their chances of being re-elected next year would not be able to avail themselves of this privilege for that purpose.

A call back is offered here as it is offered to any caller concerned about the cost of calling. As reported above it is now offered as a standard procedure to any caller from a mobile to a 0800 or 0845 number.

Jim Knight's explicit reference to a "geographic number" is made in awareness and to show recognition of the context of the question. DWP does now understand that there is a genuine issue here and has started on the long road to addressing it properly and finally. Unlike the Department of Health, it does acknowledge that there is an issue with 0845. Whilst many BT callers pay a reduced rate to call 0845 numbers, it will not be easy to resolve.

It remains a disgrace that so long after the introduction of 03 we are still talking about this, however things are at last moving, at the predictably slow pace.

I cannot see the hypocrisy referred to in the updated subject. I am not aware of any serious proposal that an MP's salary, personal wealth or private earnings should be used to cover expenses incurred in constituency casework, however this is what is implied by the quoted comment. If this proposal were to come into effect we would ask candidates to declare their outside earnings or wealth when they stand for election - not so that we could see if they would be sufficiently dedicated to the job, but so that we could elect whoever was rich enough to be able to offer a good service to their electors. As stated elsewhere, I strand firmly opposed to this this misapplication of the principles of consumerism, which even creeps into the relationship between the citizen and their MP.

Whilst SayNoTo0870 may wish to campaign for all MPs to have the personal wealth necessary not only to fund their casework, but as is also implied, to buy privileged access to ministers and officials, I must register my serious dissent from this campaign.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #27 - Dec 3rd, 2009 at 11:29am

SCV, I have to take issue with you again; as you say, MPs can claim expenses to cover costs etc (as we all know!).  However, what about county councillors & district councillors?  They are expected to pay out of their own pockets (or set allowances, in the case of district councillors, often very small ones) and yet they can be contacted for help by members of the public for assistance.   District councillors can regularly be contacted about highways matters which are the responsibility of the county council & the county council may well (as with ECC) use an 0845 for highways contact.  IF you are saying that MPs shoud have preferential access, then surely that should apply to elected representatives at all levels?    Also, school governors receive nothing whatsoever for their service but can be contacted by parents with problems which may involve the governor having to make contact with a government department which uses ngns - surely this is unreasonable?   I see no reason whatsoever for MPs to have preferential call rates, after all if they were charged the same as the rest of us, it might concentrate their minds??!!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 1:46am

Barbara. To my reading, you make a very strong case for many other public representatives being required to take on a workload similar to that of the constituency casework of an MP. This would require them to dedicate themselves more fully to their official duties and therefore draw a salary and reimbursement of all valid expenses, e.g. for staff and offices, in place of the modest allowances that are available at present.

Some would see this professionalisation of politics at all levels as a good thing. In the present climate however one must assume that any such proposal would be ridiculed as being out of step with the public mood.

I see however that this is different from the view which you appear to hold. You appear to suggest that no elected representative should be able to have priviledged access to the executive or officials, and that they should all have to go through exactly the same processes as their constituents, in order to "concentrate their minds". I am indeed strongly opposed to this suggestion, although I recognise that this view is sincerely held.

I must however confess to being very disappointed by the reaction of members and increasingly frustrated by the misapplied consumerist nonsense.that is repeated here when discussing public services and even the foundations of our democracy.

JobCentre managers have geographic direct lines, whereas the JobCentre itself uses a 0845 number. The public purse therefore incurs a different charge when an MP calls a JobCentre Manager, to what a service user incurs when calling the Centre. That is the current position. The suggestion that those serving as Members of Parliament thereby benefit personally from some type of preferential treatment over that granted to others is quite absurd.

As a campaigner I have little interest in the way in which costs are transferred around between different sections of the Exchequer. i am concerned about use of 0845 numbers by DWP and others. The benefit of the revnue share to taxpayers and of low daytime rates for calling 0845 numbers by many BT customers do not for me offset the inequity caused to subscribers to other netwroks, who incur a premium charge when accessing public services.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #29 - Dec 4th, 2009 at 10:54am

SCV,  if you re-read my post, I did not suggest that MPs should not have preferential access, I said they should not have preferential CALL rates which is not the same thing, and it was facing the same CALL rates which might concentrate the mind.  Nor did I suggest the professionalisation of politics, far from it, councillors with certain authorities are paid at a level which does encourage such undesirable professionalisation, merely that it should be remembered that MPS are not the only ones who represent and fight for the needs of members of the public, I would add that many councillors, both at district and county level, put in considerable amounts of time and effort, on occasions at the level of full-time employment and that some MPs spend far more time on other activities and outside employments, MPs are by no means all fully occupied representing their constituents nor are many councillors merely "dabblers"!  I would also suggest that members of the public should also have direct access to Job Centre managers - after all, if their staff were serving the public appropriately (and I accept they sometimes do not do this from no fault of their own but from poor management and ridiculous restrictions on the staff's freedom to do so) contact at management level would not be necessary.

I think we agree that for public bodies to use telephone numbers where the cost to call is higher than that of a "standard" call is unacceptable.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge