Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
DWP/JOBCENTRE PLUS (Read 151,961 times)
k2150

Re: DWP/JOBCENTRE PLUS
Reply #60 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 11:31am

Dave wrote on Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:39am:
k2150 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:05am:
I think it stinks that the people who can least afford to pay these 0845 call charges are being hit, I don't have a BT line because I can't afford the installation charge, therefore I'm forced to call these .GOV depts from a PAYG mobile between 9am - 4pm which is prohibitively expensive. I spent 3 quid in mobile phone charges today to speak to a .GOV dept, money I can ill afford to waste.

Hi and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

This is quite a hot topic on our forum. The DWP (which incorporates JobCentre Plus) says it uses 0845 numbers because more people pay less to call than pay more. But those who pay more pay much more than those who save, but this isn't taken into consideration.

Unfortunately, the numbers for JobCentres will soon be replaced by one 0845 number. The old local numbers will play a recorded message redirecting to the 0845 number.

Perhaps you would like to write to your MP about this, making the points you made on this forum.

Thanks for the welcome, I will be writing my MP, but I've the feeling he won't be for much longer. The DWP have closed the local office in my area, we are now served by one centralized Jobcentre Plus office which is miles away. From there you can call any department free of charge using an internal phone, you're given a ticket number and then queue up to use the phone, if you close your eyes it's just like being in Argos.  My problem is getting to that office after suffering a stroke last November isn't easy, my only recourse at the moment is to use my mobile phone. I fully expect things to get worse this year, when more cuts in public spending are imminent thanks to the banking catastrophe.

When I called Jobcentre plus (Stratford, London) a few hours ago, at no time did the switchboard operator offer to call me back, he just furnished an 0845 number, calling that number gives you approx a 1 min recorded message followed by a waiting period to actually get through to a person. That waiting period can be any length of time depending on how busy they are, and how quickly they pick up, so in practice by the time your connected to a person to request a call back you will have already spent a considerable sum of money. Call back is scam, they need to to give people surviving on Income support, or a state pension, or incapacity benefits, an 0800 freephone number to call.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2010 at 11:51am by k2150 »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #61 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 8:13pm

k2150 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2010 at 11:31am:
When I called Jobcentre plus (Stratford, London) a few hours ago, at no time did the switchboard operator offer to call me back, he just furnished an 0845 number, calling that number gives you approx a 1 min recorded message followed by a waiting period to actually get through to a person. That waiting period can be any length of time depending on how busy they are, and how quickly they pick up, so in practice by the time your connected to a person to request a call back you will have already spent a considerable sum of money. Call back is scam, they need to to give people surviving on Income support, or a state pension, or incapacity benefits, an 0800 freephone number to call.

Thanks very much for the information. Clearly you are familiar with the process and know that you could not call the 0800 new claims number.

As the Stratford office retains its own switchboard on a geographic number, no call back is offered. We have been led to believe that the function of a local, or indeed the replacement national, switchboard is to put you through to the agent best able to help. It seems that the Stratford switchboard is simply offering a personalised version of the recorded announcement provided at offices where the local switchboard function has been closed down.

We are battling for the 0845 numbers to be replaced by 03 or geographic numbers, as appropriate. That is the essence of the saynoto00870 campaign as it removes the element of additional payment and subsidy to the service provider one is calling. With a minimum 60 second wait, you make a very strong case for all JobCentre Plus services to be free to callers. As you rightly say, there is the question of whether taxpayers would be happy to meet this additional cost now that the trick of paying for public services by borrowing, rather than increasing taxes, seems to have come to an end.

The cost of 0800 calls being free from mobiles has however been met. I have not yet heard anyone suggest that this is a misuse of public money, so perhaps there is hope that more generosity and addition to the deficit could be tolerated. Current MPs and those who will seek to replace them should all be asked how far they would go in charging for, or subsidising the costs of, access to public services by telephone. Astute voters will ask how additional generosity will be paid for, after all of the cuts to unnecessary expenditure and efficiency savings that are required anyway have been made.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2010 at 8:16pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #62 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:51pm

Thanks for the welcome, I will be writing my MP, but I've the feeling he won't be for much longer. …

Perhaps you could hold off until after the election.  Undecided

For your information, the 020 7301 8200 number for Stratford and quite a few other London JobCentres is to be turned off on the 14 April.

What 0845 number is it that you were directed to?

I ask because if the 0845 number you should have called was answered anywhere else than your local JobCentre, then that would explain the reason that they could not offer you a call back on the 020 number even if they were permitted to do so. In order for them to do that, the message would have to conveyed to whatever call centre deals with the type of enquiry you were ringing about, and I don't believe that there is such a mechanism in place.

The idea of call backs sounds good in theory (at least as a temporary fix), but as you say, there is the unacceptable cost of the call whilst you are waiting in a queue, for which you have no idea how long it will be. I imagine that waiting creates tension caused by the fact that your credit could run out, and that this in turn would leave you unable to contact anyone until you top-up again.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:52pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

k2150

Reply #63 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:08am

Dave wrote on Mar 2nd, 2010 at 10:51pm:
Thanks for the welcome, I will be writing my MP, but I've the feeling he won't be for much longer. …

Perhaps you could hold off until after the election.  Undecided

For your information, the 020 7301 8200 number for Stratford and quite a few other London JobCentres is to be turned off on the 14 April.

What 0845 number is it that you were directed to?

I ask because if the 0845 number you should have called was answered anywhere else than your local JobCentre, then that would explain the reason that they could not offer you a call back on the 020 number even if they were permitted to do so. In order for them to do that, the message would have to conveyed to whatever call centre deals with the type of enquiry you were ringing about, and I don't believe that there is such a mechanism in place.

The idea of call backs sounds good in theory (at least as a temporary fix), but as you say, there is the unacceptable cost of the call whilst you are waiting in a queue, for which you have no idea how long it will be. I imagine that waiting creates tension caused by the fact that your credit could run out, and that this in turn would leave you unable to contact anyone until you top-up again.

The Stratford switchboard gave me this number to call, 0845 6000 148, calling that number gets you a recorded message with various menu options for different departments. There was no option for the Social Fund department which is what I wanted, so I chose the Income Support dept, when I got through to Income Support they were able to answer my query but it took longer than normal. Why the Social Fund Dept was not an option on the 0845 menu I have no idea.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:19am by k2150 »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #64 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 2:25am

k2150 wrote on Mar 3rd, 2010 at 12:08am:
Why the Social Fund Dept was not an option on the 0845 menu I have no idea.
A quick review of the DWP and JobCentre Plus websites does not find any reference to a Social Fund Dept. The "Social Fund" appears to be the name given to a group of benefits, some of which are budgeted for in a particular way. Each Job Centre Plus office appears to be able to deal with enquiries. The central 0800 number appears to deal with new claims.

The fact that the system is potentially very confusing is a further reason why expensive telephone numbers are inappropriate. The incompetence of staff who suggest contacting a non-existent "department" is another sadly familiar issue. Whilst there is no policy of automatically offering a call back on geographic numbers, the Stratford switchboard should have put the call through to the appropriate person within that office, who should then have responded to a request for them to call back.

Any call that is handled wrongly is unnecessarily expensive, whatever type of number is used.

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #65 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 4:54pm

Dave wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 2:38pm:
Source: DWP "In Touch" December 2009

At the same time, switchboard services will be centralised into four Balfour Beatty WorkPlace (BBW) Service Centres. This will provide a consistent national service for customers.

If I wasn't already disgusted at this move by the DWP to take money by way of a stealth tax on those that can least afford it, I am now ABOLUTELY SICKENED to hear that the work has been outsourced to private company Balfour Beatty.

I am against privatisation of anything, but my reasons here go beyond that (and justify my preference of nationalisation.)

Balfour Beatty were recently one of the biggest players involved in a bid rigging scandal for the construction of public buildings. What this means is that several companies collude to artificially inflate contract costs, having an agreement between themselves that they will divide contracts up equally.

The net result is that taxpayers will be charged about 15 million for, lets say a hospital, that in reality costs closer to 5 million. The knock on effect is the deaths of patients due to lack of funds for treatment.

This is covered under law as cartel activity (mafia) and punishable by 5 years in prison.

Months later, the [company is] awarded this contract.

The bid rigging scandal gained very little publicity, my belief is that there is so much collusion that people were deliberately kept in the dark. The 08 number scam goes much much deeper than telephones, trust me.....

http://www.contractjournal.com/Articles/2008/04/17/58653/bid-rigging-balfour-bea...

~ Edited by Dave: Posting amended
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2010 at 5:52pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #66 - Jun 29th, 2010 at 8:08pm

I do not think that there was anything in the original version of the comments about a company known as Balfour Cheaty that it not repeated all over the web regularly.

The specific example does however demonstrate a syndrome seen through both the previous and current governments.

Devolving decision making to local bodies and contractors encourages a pragmatic approach. This may have its benefits, but it makes adherence to important points of principle extremely difficult to maintain and enforce. If the easiest and cheapest way of delivering a service is by getting users to pay for it, and nobody complains loudly enough before the event, then this is what will happen.

Once it is done, what is then seen as being added cost, plus the trouble and expense of change, mitigate against necessary corrective action being taken.

With reference to the DWP (and HMRC and others), I have noted, and commented on, the following item from the Sunday Mirror -

As this forum is structured for discussion rather than news postings, I am never sure whether members in general are interested in such bland contributions as that immediately above, or if each should have a new thread in the expectation of stimulating a debate.

Those who may wish to follow developments on campaigns that I am engaged in may wish to subscribe to news feeds that I maintain. If any item, such as that referred to above, is considered worthy of discussion, then it could be brought into this forum. I believe that members in general should decide what it is that they wish to discuss in the forum. (I am well aware that there are many who do not wish to see contributions from myself.)

In addition to those which are general to my campaigning efforts, I now also offer feeds on specific topics. The feeds may be viewed and subscribed to at this link.

N.B. There is no cost involved, "subscription" is free of any charge. Furthermore, there is no monetary gain for me from my feeds or my blogs.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who has suggestions about the presentation, wishes to propose items for inclusion (current or historic) or wishes to invite me to subscribe to their feeds of related material.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2010 at 6:10pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #67 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 7:54pm

Hi there!

I had to contact the DWP for my pension forecast, and I duly looked on this website.  Anyhow, I had the following happen:

"Just thought that I would advise you that if you dial the ( 141 ) 0191 218 777 and ask to be put through to the Pension Service
( Forecasting ), they will not transfer you, even if you tell them that the 0845 number is NOT a local call number.  They insist, that it is a 'Local' call number."

What idiots do we have at the DWP?  They could quite easily use a 0191 number or even better a 03 prefix number for each department.

James Bond

IP Logged

floella2

Reply #68 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:05pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 29th, 2010 at 8:08pm:
I do not think that there was anything in the original version of the comments about a company known as Balfour Cheaty that it not repeated all over the web regularly.

I have just googled the term "Balfour Cheaty" (in parenthesis) and this is the only page that was returned from the entire web.

The specific example does however demonstrate a syndrome seen through both the previous and current governments.

Some people are quick to forget that the current problems in our country were instigated by the tories of the 1980's (unstable employment, over inflated housing market, tax rip offs such as increasing VAT from 7.5% to 17.5%, ignorance and indifference to the youth of the nation) The last and current governments are peas from the same pod.

Devolving decision making to local bodies and contractors encourages a pragmatic approach. This may have its benefits, but it makes adherence to important points of principle extremely difficult to maintain and enforce. If the easiest and cheapest way of delivering a service is by getting users to pay for it, and nobody complains loudly enough before the event, then this is what will happen.

It is often difficult to complain before the event as very little information is typically divulged. Usually it is dressed up to make it look like the government are doing us a favour so many people are not aware of the potential problems until they are hit by them.

Once it is done, what is then seen as being added cost, plus the trouble and expense of change, mitigate against necessary corrective action being taken.

Solution - revert back to the original system. Cost - Nil.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #69 - Aug 20th, 2010 at 9:15pm

floella2 wrote on Aug 20th, 2010 at 7:05pm:

I believe that we are essentially in agreement, other than on two points.

My reference to other comments on the web was intended simply to reassure in general terms.

In many cases, new centralised call centre based services have been set up using 0845 numbers to save money and perhaps provide a better service. It would certainly not be cost free to revert to the previous way of operating, nor to give up the benefits of revenue sharing on a 0845 number. I would stand aside from arguments on the former point, but argue furiously that the cost to the taxpayer of the latter must be incurred in the interest of equity and to save an even greater expense to service users.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #70 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 4:48pm

Members may be interested to read the recent FOI responses from DWP which I posted about on the thread in the FOI section of the forum.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
DWP review of 0845 numbers
Reply #71 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:27pm

In a recent written answer, the Employment Minister said that his Department is currently reviewing the use of 0845 numbers:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2011-06-21b.59138.h

Let us hope that they do a better job than when under the previous administration where it seemed more an exercise to justify the status quo.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Re: DWP review of 0845 numbers
Reply #72 - Jun 26th, 2011 at 8:04pm

Dave wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 11:27pm:
In a recent written answer, the Employment Minister said that his Department is currently reviewing the use of 0845 numbers:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2011-06-21b.59138.h

Let us hope that they do a better job than when under the previous administration where it seemed more an exercise to justify the status quo.

Readers may be interested to note the annotation added to the published answer. This includes a link to the additional information provided.

The information deposited in the House of Commons Library includes an "Analysis" suggesting that nearly 50% of landlline callers would be worse off if DWP switched to 03. This is based on the assumption that all DWP claimants are just as likely as anyone else not to be at home during the working day and so are unlikely to subscribe to BT Unlimited Anytime. It also assumes that no DWP claimant callers subscribe to "BT Basic", even though only DWP claimants qualify for this special tariff!

If one considers the population who are in receipt of DWP benefits (including all old age pensioners, the long term sick and the unemployed) it seems a little foolish to assume that they would be no more likely to choose a tariff designed for those who use the phone during the day than anyone else.

Assuming that NO DWP callers subscribe to BT Basic, when all BT Basic subscribers must be DWP claimants, and when the premium charge they incur for calling 0845 numbers is that given in the written answer, thereby implying that this tariff is representative of the situation for ALL callers, goes beyond foolish!

(BT Basic is a "social tariff" available to DWP claimants who make very few calls, with an allowance of calls included in the monthly charge for the service. Calls to 0845 numbers are excluded from this allowance!)

The assumption that BT's diminishing share of the market in landline calls is 52.1% reflects the position as it was around the middle of 2007 (although this precise figure is not found in the relevant Ofcom publication). The latest published BT share is 39.9%.

The fact that some callers may be worse off by calling 03 rather than 0845 numbers is due to them probably having selected the wrong telephone package. Unless the call to DWP is a rare and exceptional example of a weekday daytime call, those who incur the BT penalty charge for calling outside the terms of their selected package are making a mistake. If one takes the DWP assumptions, but applies the up-to-date BT share of the calls market, those caught in this position only amount to 25% of DWP callers - significant, but far from overwhelming.

Use of a revenue sharing number without declaring a "service charge" is indefensible anyway, but to attempt to defend it on the basis that up to 25% of callers have chosen the wrong telephone package to meet their needs makes the position of the DWP even worse.

I share the hope expressed above, however a significant change of approach will be required before DWP can get a grip of what is really happening.

IP Logged

PONTYBOY

Re: DWP/JOBCENTRE PLUS- GEOGRAPHICAL NUMBERS
Reply #73 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:40am

I read somewhere on another page about finding the old geographical number for the jobcentre ending in 00 and adding 1 therefore making the end of the number 01.
I found the old number by searching on an associated search site for jobcentre, which seperated the words so read, job centre plus. I used the +1 number today and it worked. The lady who answered seemed a bit surprised but did not question me, and dealt with my query. The other page on this site also advises that if +1 doesn't work (could be a fax number) then try +2 or +3.  Grin  Grin  Grin

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: DWP/JOBCENTRE PLUS- GEOGRAPHICAL NUMBERS
Reply #74 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:44am

PONTYBOY wrote on Sep 16th, 2011 at 10:40am:
I read somewhere on another page about finding the old geographical number for the jobcentre ending in 00 and adding 1 therefore making the end of the number 01.
I found the old number by searching on an associated search site for jobcentre, which seperated the words so read, job centre plus. I used the +1 number today and it worked. The lady who answered seemed a bit surprised but did not question me, and dealt with my query. The other page on this site also advises that if +1 doesn't work (could be a fax number) then try +2 or +3.  Grin  Grin  Grin

Hello and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

Please can you tell me which Jobcentre this relates to and the full number so I can add it to the listings?
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:45am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge