<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Another scam? (Read 20,348 times)
reggie

Another scam?
Nov 25th, 2008 at 4:57pm

I just received a message on my answering machine asking me to call Barclaycard on 08445560055. I do not have a Barclay card but was curious so I dialled the number. I got a recorded message telling me that this was a new automated service and asking me to put in my 16 digit card number. At this point I hung up as it seemed like a phishing phone call. I decided to be resposible and alert Barclays so that they could take appropriate action but could not get thro' to a sensible person. I spoke to an Indian gentleman who told me that this wasn't a Barclays number.... surprise surprise  and no he wouldn't put me thro' to the fraud department as I wasn't a Barclays customer. Is it any wonder that the banks are in deep trouble! I just get the feeling that the lunatics are in charge of the asylum!

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Another scam?
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 5:36pm

It's probably easiest to send them an e-mail via their website. You could also try Card Watch:
http://www.cardwatch.org.uk/

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 6:44pm

I would have emailed the CEO of Barclaycard and most of the other positions I could think of... waste of time on the telephone where there is no record.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 8:57pm

This is not a scam, it is criminal activity, and it has little or nothing to do with Barclays.

Whatever else Barclays is responsible for, and that is plenty, all it could do in this situation is continue to remind its customers never to respond to this type of approach.

Cardwatch may be able to offer useful advice, however this is a matter for the Police.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 12:53pm

There are more reports of scam calls by this number at http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08445560055

The Barclays Board members can be found at www.aboutbarclays.com/content/detail_imageright.asp?NewsAreaID=20

I suggest you try emailing the following

Group Chief Executive - john.varley@barclays.com

Chief Executive, Global Commercial and Retail Banking - frits.seegers@barclays.com

I also have a generic security matters email address for Barclays.  This sends an auto responder back saying they will only get back in touch if it is relevant to do.  This is as follows:-    internetsecurity@barclays.co.uk

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:02pm

There are many important matters that the Board of Barclays should be giving their attention to.

Could somebody please explain why this issue is thought to be relevant to Barclays, rather than the Police.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:08pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:02pm:
There are many important matters that the Board of Barclays should be giving their attention to.

Could somebody please explain why this issue is thought to be relevant to Barclays, rather than the Police.

May be it is because the banks are always telling us to report these matters to them. For example this is what is on the Lloyds TSB web site, I know this does not refer to phone calls but I would guess they would still want to know.

Security update
We won’t be sending you any emails for the rest of 2008

We haven’t sent you any emails in the last 4 weeks and won’t be sending you any for the rest of the year (unless it’s in response to an instruction you’ve asked us to carry out for you).

Remember we will NEVER email you asking for your logon details or directing you to a page that asks you to type in this information.

If you receive an email of this kind that claims to be from Lloyds TSB, it will be fraudulent. Please do not reply but forward it to our investigations team at emailscams@lloydstsb.co.uk
24/11/2008

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:12pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:02pm:

Because Barclays customers are the ones who are actually at risk of disclosing their card security details to these fraudsters and Barclays need to alert their customers to the potential danger by any means they can such as at the online banking login screen etc, etc.

Surely you don't think Barclays have no interest in their customers being defrauded by people who are not actually Barclays?  After all Barclays will be footing the bill for it if it happens. Roll Eyes

Of course I agree that the Police should also be informed too.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:13pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:41pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:12pm:
Surely you don't think Barclays have no interest in their customers being defrauded by people who are not actually Barclays?
As it happens, I have many doubts about the role of the banks in relation to fraud. They only suffer losses in cases that are recognised and reported properly. They gain income by selling services that are intended to help identify cases in which their procedures have failed. They fail their customers by following procedures that are readily susceptible to fraudulent imitation. However ...

The number of current and potential frauds requires the banks to give only general advice rather than creating a false sense of security by only highlighting specific cases.

The case reported here is primarily a matter for the Police.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:26pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:41pm:
The case reported here is primarily a matter for the Police.

No it is also primarily a matter for Barclays as it is a deliberate attempt to fraudulently imitate them and defraud their customers in so doing.

The Police will take a lot more notice of Barclays reporting this to them at a corporate level saying they have had 500 reports by customers than they will take notice of one lone report by one individual.

Have you never tried reporting a matter like this to the Police (especially as most people reporting it will not even have fallen for the fraud) only to find how very disinterested they usually are in even logging this kind of matter. If it is rape, murder or assault then they will of course turn out right away but for anything else they would much rather the public sorted it out for themselves.

<div style=

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 2:44pm

Thank you all for your responses. I have today emailed the CEO as suggested. The eason I didn't call the police is that I didn't think they would take it seriously whereas if Barclays contacts them it is quite another matter.I wonder whether I shall get a response.

IP Logged

oldharryrocks

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 3:31am

I think your find the number does belong to Barclays and is used by Barclaycard debt collection department,as is  0844 556 0054.

They do use the Cable and Wireless supplied 0844 556xxxxx numbering range

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal-home/customer-service/contact-list/index.h...

0844 556 0105 BarclayCard Internet Customer Services.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=16200865

Tel 0844 556 0104 Barclaycard Customer Relations.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2008 at 3:52am by oldharryrocks »  

IP Logged

reggie

Reply #12 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 4:55pm

I did get a response from the CEO'office. It seems it is indeed a Barclaycard number and is for debt collection. Since neither I nor my partner have a Barclaycard and since we have had the same phone number for the past 40+ years  how does our number get to their debt collection agency? Scary isn't it?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:07pm

reggie wrote on Nov 28th, 2008 at 4:55pm:
I did get a response from the CEO'office. It seems it is indeed a Barclaycard number and is for debt collection. Since neither I nor my partner have a Barclaycard and since we have had the same phone number for the past 40+ years  how does our number get to their debt collection agency? Scary isn't it?

I would put that question back to the CEO's office.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2008 at 6:13pm

The bigger question to put to Barclaycard is to ask why they expect customers and others to respond to what they have no reason not to suspect to be phishiing telephone calls.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge