Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New 03 codes (Read 10,720 times)
David_H

North London
New 03 codes
Dec 6th, 2008 at 2:59pm

My lists told me 03- was reserved for future geographical expansion, yet it was opened for yet more non geographical to replace 0870, although that never actually happened. What do Ofcom intend to do if they do ever need more geographical exchanges as now only 04- exists?
And why do they need the 03- anyway as besides 0870 and 0300 there doesn't seem any useful capacity there that isn't already covered by 08- numbers. Plus if free calls are on 0800 and 0808 (plus the old 0500) why didn't they add to the recognisable 080- exchanges for new free calls rather than use one no one would understand?

Global warming is the new religion of the century. Be original and be an atheist.
neasdenparade  
IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: New 03 codes
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:07pm

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:01pm

David_H wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 2:59pm:
My lists told me 03- was reserved for future geographical expansion, yet it was opened for yet more non geographical to replace 0870, although that never actually happened. What do Ofcom intend to do if they do ever need more geographical exchanges as now only 04- exists?
And why do they need the 03- anyway as besides 0870 and 0300 there doesn't seem any useful capacity there that isn't already covered by 08- numbers. Plus if free calls are on 0800 and 0808 (plus the old 0500) why didn't they add to the recognisable 080- exchanges for new free calls rather than use one no one would understand?

0800 & 0808 are not free from mobiles whereas 03 are the same as 01 & 02 and get included in the 'free' calls on landlines and mobiles.

IP Logged

David_H

North London
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:19pm

Thanks for those, so it's to separate functions for who gets what. Doesn't the profit motive make things complicated having to have two parallel sets for the same thing now?

Will they now be using 04- reserved set for geographical expansion as the 05-09 are already spoken for?

Global warming is the new religion of the century. Be original and be an atheist.
neasdenparade  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:37pm

What do Ofcom intend to do if they do ever need more geographical exchanges as now only 04- exists?

There are numerous spare 02 prefixed exchange codes left so I can't see them running out of capacity on 01/02 any time soon and if that were a danger they could always add one more digit to every phone number on every UK exchange so immediately providing 10 times more phone numbers.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:42pm

David_H wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 4:19pm:
Will they now be using 04- reserved set for geographical expansion as the 05-09 are already spoken for?

I don't think 05 or 06 are doing anything useful at the present time.

OK there are a couple of legacy 05 numbers still used by BBC Radio Five Live and a couple of others but they could be forced to migrate on to 080 and while 06 is nominally reserved for current 070 "personal numbers" I am sure the providers of "personal numbers" will in fact race off to the Competition Appeals Tribunal to contest this if Ofcom pushes ahead with those plans.

Anyhow Ofcom already ensured that the first 2 digits of a phone number no longer meant anything with all the ludicrous mixtures of calling tariffs (from Freephone to official 0871 Premium Rate) they have now permitted on the 08 code prefix.

<div style=

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 5:08pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 6th, 2008 at 5:37pm:
What do Ofcom intend to do if they do ever need more geographical exchanges as now only 04- exists?
There are numerous spare 02 prefixed exchange codes left so I can't see them running out of capacity on 01/02 any time soon and if that were a danger they could always add one more digit to every phone number on every UK exchange so immediately providing 10 times more phone numbers.

Oh, ye gods, no. The last couple of National Code and Number Changes were designed to obviate the need for tinkering, by designing and implementing a plan for the future. The 02X and 03X were originally planned to allow for local eight digit dialling everywhere. It works in NI and is designed to work in Wales behind 029. But Oftel eventually fought shy of planned, well thought out, logical development. And yes, there was (is) ample capacity in 08, but they fouled up 0800 as well.

IP Logged

David_H

North London
Reply #7 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:15pm

Absolutely- another number? The strain that would put on changing all the systems for dialling and storing numbers again would be hell, and anyhow there are so many yawning gaps in the non geographic areas as well that we'd need every person to own a mobile, fax, internet (no need now as dialup is growing obsolete) plus each office member to have their own number and possibly each pet have a monitor as well with its own unique ID.

'I don't think 05 or 06 are doing anything useful at the present time. '

I asked about that elsewhere and was told I could start a new thread here which I can, but despite being totally idiotic and costing 5p a minute there are plenty of businesses using 0551 codes and they won't want to kick them off now they've got their money. I did read somewhere that 06- was also reserved for non geographic as well but would need to check.

neasdenparade  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:09pm

David_H wrote on Dec 12th, 2008 at 12:15pm:
'I don't think 05 or 06 are doing anything useful at the present time.

Except that 0500 codes are still used for some Freephone numbers (eg BBC Radio Five Live phone ins) and 06 is pre-allocated by Ofcom for a forcible transfer of numbers currently on the 070 "personal number" range that can currently be so conveniently and easily confused as being a mobile phone number.

So only 04 really doesn't seem to be spoken for at all.

See www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/statement/summary/
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2008 at 1:10pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Furry Fred

here and there - even elsewher
Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:35pm

I am somewhat confused about 03xx numbers and who can have them.

I have come across this Ofcom item (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/030_guidance/030_v2/) which seems to put restrictions as to which bodies can have an 03xx number.

Anyone with comments?

Furry Fred&&&&A wonderful, generous and handsome gentleman who is, in fact very very modest and retiring.&&They didn't make many like him - in fact they broke the mould!&&&&

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:39pm

There are a few restrictions on who can have 03 numbers:

030 are only available to public bodies (the Ofcom site explains what these are).

034 and 037 are only available as migration ranges from the respective 084 and 087 ranges, so if you don't own a number in that range, you can't have an 034/7 number.

033 numbers are available to anyone.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:39pm

Furry Fred wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:35pm:
I am somewhat confused about 03xx numbers and who can have them.

I have come across this Ofcom item (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/030_guidance/030_v2/) which seems to put restrictions as to which bodies can have an 03xx number.

Anyone with comments?

That refers to 030 numbers.  There are 03 ranges available to anyone (e.g. the 0344, 0345, 0370, 0371 and 0372 equivalents of exisiting 0844, 0845, 0870, 0871 and 0872 numbers are available and 0330/0333 numbers are available to anyone too).
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008 at 10:44pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

redant

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2009 at 2:34pm

I have read that the public are "confused" by 03 numbers and it appears to be one of the reasons given for not changing from the 08 range (nothing to do with revenue share!)  I noticed this advert in the guardian for a classical spain holiday: "Call 0330 333 6750. Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines , and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls".  Very clear and informative; if this description was given on all 03 numbers there would be no confusion about the cost implications of using the 03 number range.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge