NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: 0843 Local Rate?
Reply #30 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:31pm

Dave wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:29pm:
Perhaps it is because you have Word 2000. Open it in Wordpad.

Or use OpenOffice by changing your file associations as I suggested above as OpenOffice should be bang up to date.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #31 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:33pm

derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:31pm:
RTF     Rich Text Format

And what is listed as "Opens With"?

Note the Change button where you can select a different program to open RTF files.  Select Open Office with that.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:33pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:38pm

Dave wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:29pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:27pm:
Have clicked on "other" in the drop down box, and chose Microsoft Word to open it, yet it still has thick black lines blocking bottom of pages 2 & 3.

Perhaps it is because you have Word 2000. Open it in Wordpad.

Have now used WordPad MFC Application, (the only Wordpad available), and it has opened it and I can read all of it but not in the same format, i.e. no page numbers or separation.

I should not have to do this, I have opened just about every thing else by just clicking links and the default opener.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #33 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:41pm

From the document you had problems with:-

Quote:
Opening of 0872/0873/0843

Sean updated the forum on the new 0872/0873 & 0843 number ranges. Ofcom are already allocating these numbers to CPs. These new number ranges are to be included in the existing Operator schedules 410 & 411. These schedules have been updated to accommodate the new numbers and are available on the website, the BT schedules are also being updated.  Schedule 07, Reciprocal Non-Geographic Number Portability, will also need to be updated to include the new numbers.  

« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:44pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #34 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:45pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:33pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:31pm:
RTF     Rich Text Format

And what is listed as "Opens With"?   Huh

Note the Change button where you can select a different program to open RTF files.  Select Open Office with that.

I don't want to start changing stuff on the computer just to open one page that is giving me problems and risk messing everything else up"

Re your comment about viruses, I have done a scan earlier today with Spy bot S&D, A-Squares,Superanti spyware, Adaware personnel.

AVG and Windows Defender run continuously.

There where only the normal cookies etc found, and I deleted all of those.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #35 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:47pm

derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:45pm:
I don't want to start changing stuff on the computer just to open one page that is giving me problems and risk messing everything else up"

Microsoft Word is vintage 2000 and OpenOffice is vintage 2008.

So why stick with using Microsoft Word? Huh Undecided

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #36 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:01pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:47pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:45pm:

Microsoft Word is vintage 2000 and OpenOffice is vintage 2008.

So why stick with using Microsoft Word? Huh Undecided

Because I don't, and never have liked OpenOffice !

Despite the claims, it is nowhere near as good as Word.

Although it is on  my computer and therefore should be capable of opening the files, but in this case it would not despite being the default !!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #37 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:23pm

derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 2:51pm:
NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 2:37pm:
See P.3 of another of Ofcom's cosy forums where they meet up with their telco buddies begind closed doors.  This one is called the Standard Contract Forum - http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/downloads/service_and_support/contractual_infor...

When clicking on your link, the page that opens has thick black lines obliterating the bottom quarter of pages 2 & 3, so I cannot see the points about 03 except "Opening of 0872/0873/0843"

The document opens OK in OpenOffice Writer. What are you using to open it? This isn't an Adobe Acrobat file, so updating your Reader won't make much difference.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:55pm

jgxenite wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:23pm:
The document opens OK in OpenOffice Writer. What are you using to open it?

No it doesn't. See my posts #20/23/25.

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #39 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 5:01pm

derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:16pm:
When clicking on the link it opens a window with OpenOffice 1.1.0 (default), in the drop down box,(only other option is "other"), it then opens the document in Word 2000.

OpenOffice 1.1.0 is rather old now. I'm using OpenOffice 2.3 and the file looked fine.

Microsoft also change the specs and capabilities of Word with each release, to force people to upgrade. So Word 2000 may not open files created using older versions.

I did notice that BT's servers send this document with the MIME type of a Word document. I don't know if that's correct, it may affect the way it's handled. Try saving it an opening it from there.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #40 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 5:13pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm using OpenOffice 2.4/3 (can't remember which it opened in).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #41 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:08pm

jrawle wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 5:01pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 3:16pm:
When clicking on the link it opens a window with OpenOffice 1.1.0 (default), in the drop down box,(only other option is "other"), it then opens the document in Word 2000.

OpenOffice 1.1.0 is rather old now. I'm using OpenOffice 2.3 and the file looked fine.

Microsoft also change the specs and capabilities of Word with each release, to force people to upgrade. So Word 2000 may not open files created using older versions.

I did notice that BT's servers send this document with the MIME type of a Word document. I don't know if that's correct, it may affect the way it's handled. Try saving it an opening it from there.

Yes but I do not use OpenOffice, so I don't really care which it is.

Thanks for all the input, but as it has nothing to do with the OP, I think we should drop it  Wink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #42 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm

derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:01pm:

But since when did a product not being as good a quality ever get in the way of you using it if it is much cheaper Derrick?  For instance it doesn't seem to ever stop you using that terrible trial Voip phone service to call me, even though it means you get cut off every five minutes and parts of every other word in the call drop out.  I thought that as long as a thing was free you were prepared to use it no matter how much worse its quality might be than the paying version of the same service. Wink Tongue Grin

Also let us not forget you taking the hugely less comfortable overnight coach down to London for the Information Tribunal and so losing a night's sleep in the process purely because it was again much cheaper than getting the high speed 6am train. Cheesy

Surely you are not now going to tell me that you usually shop at Waitrose or Marks & Spencer for your food because you cannot tolerate the cheap old rubbish they sell down at Asda or Tesco? Undecided

I think you must have had an earlier bad experience with OpenOffice (as I did with the original Mozilla web browser before it became Firefox) but if you try it now I think you will be amazed by how little different it is from Microsoft Office and how well made the whole software package now is.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:38pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #43 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:41pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm:

But since when did a product not being as good a quality ever get in the way of you using it if it is much cheaper Derrick?  ...

I too am puzzled. Derrick, you say you have OpenOffice version 1.something. I've never used OpenOffice, but as they're now on version 3, I would assume that it is much better than the earliest versions. So how can you say you don't like something when you've never tried it??!!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #44 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:54pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm:

But since when did a product not being as good a quality ever get in the way of you using it if it is much cheaper Derrick?  For instance it doesn't seem to ever stop you using that terrible trial Voip phone service to call me, even though it means you get cut off every five minutes and parts of every other word in the call drop out.  I thought that as long as a thing was free you were prepared to use it no matter how much worse its quality might be than the paying version of the same service. Wink Tongue Grin

Also let us not forget you taking the hugely less comfortable overnight coach down to London for the Information Tribunal and so losing a night's sleep in the process purely because it was again much cheaper than getting the high speed 6am train. Cheesy

Surely you are not now going to tell me that you usually shop at Waitrose or Marks & Spencer for your food because you cannot tolerate the cheap old rubbish they sell down at Asda or Tesco? Undecided

I think you must have had an earlier bad experience with OpenOffice (as I did with the original Mozilla web browser before it became Firefox) but if you try it now I think you will be amazed by how little different it is from Microsoft Office and how well made the whole software package now is.

My copy of Word cost me nothing!

I use the free voip when, hopefully my calls are not going to last long, if I think they are then I will use one of the Finera brand.

It was my choice to use the coach, yes it was cheaper by a mile, (remember I did not even want to attend!), and the lack of sleep was not an issue!

I tend to use Morrisons as it is just across the road from me, but also use Asda,Lidl and Aldi.

I am happy with Word for what I need it for and have no reason to go onto Office.

What is your problem? you have gone way off topic for this thread, is there some reason you want to have a go, or is it just your time of the month?

Why don't you just  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge