0843 Local Rate? (Read 142,367 times)
derrick
Supreme Member

Re: 0843 Local Rate?
Reply #45 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:55pm

Dave wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:41pm:
NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:37pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 4:01pm:
Because I don't, and never have liked OpenOffice !

Despite the claims, it is nowhere near as good as Word.

But since when did a product not being as good a quality ever get in the way of you using it if it is much cheaper Derrick?  ...

I too am puzzled. Derrick, you say you have OpenOffice version 1.something. I've never used OpenOffice, but as they're now on version 3, I would assume that it is much better than the earliest versions. So how can you say you don't like something when you've never tried it??!!

I used OpenOffice when I first got the computer,(supplied,probably because it was free), did not know any different, then was given, (FREE NGMsG) A copy of Word, have used it ever since and am happy with it.
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:56pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #46 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:59pm

Dave wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:41pm:
So how can you say you don't like something when you've never tried it??!!

But I bet Derrick reckons that he knows he doesn't like snails or frogslegs or sheeps brains too though, even though he has never actually tried them. Cheesy

However many people I know won't use www.saynoto0870.com at all because they wrongly imagine that there is something illegal about circumventing the official number and/or because they think that something that is cheaper will give them a worse service.  So I find it odd to hear that Derrick is now simply going with the herd here in assuming that the product of one of the world's most monopolistic and greedy companies will be far superior to its rivals.

To be fair I do use Word 2002 (XP) rather than its OpenOffice counterpart but only because it was bundled with this HP Notebook in their software package for no extra charge when I bought it nearly four years ago.  And Word 2002 can open this document.

Personally I suspect that a corrupted registry entry on Derrick's PC is the most likely cause of this problem, although I wonder if he has shut down and rebooted it to see if the problem persists?
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:59pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #47 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 7:54pm

derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:54pm:
My copy of Word cost me nothing!

Is that why it is a copy of Word 2000.  I wonder if the boys at www.fast.org.uk would be ok with the source of your current copy of Word? Wink

Quote:
I use the free voip when, hopefully my calls are not going to last long, if I think they are then I will use one of the Finera brand.

I have never known one of your calls to me to not last long. Wink

Quote:
It was my choice to use the coach, yes it was cheaper by a mile, (remember I did not even want to attend!), and the lack of sleep was not an issue!

Are you sure.  I seem to remember that you were in fact subjected to a very difficult and lengthy cross examination.

Quote:
I tend to use Morrisons as it is just across the road from me, but also use Asda,Lidl and Aldi.

I would fully expect you to shop only at Morrisons, Asda and Lidl.  That is why your support for overpriced Microsoft software came as such a surprise.  And having access to a pirate copy of Microsoft software doesn't count as an economic justification as they are illegal. Shocked

Quote:
I am happy with Word for what I need it for and have no reason to go onto Office.

Apart from when you need to open documents on the BT Wholesale website it would appear. Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #48 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:24am

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:59pm:
To be fair I do use Word 2002 (XP) rather than its OpenOffice counterpart but only because it was bundled with this HP Notebook in their software package for no extra charge when I bought it nearly four years ago.  And Word 2002 can open this document.  
HYPOCRITE!

Personally I suspect that a corrupted registry entry on Derrick's PC is the most likely cause of this problem, although I wonder if he has shut down and rebooted it to see if the problem persists?

From my post #34; - "Re your comment about viruses, I have done a scan earlier today with Spy bot S&D, A-Squares,Superanti spyware, Adaware personnel.

AVG and Windows Defender run continuously.

There where only the normal cookies etc found, and I deleted all of those. "

Read the posts if you want to comment!  I also did shut down and reboot as one of the programmes required it!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #49 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:25am

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 7:54pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:54pm:
My copy of Word cost me nothing!

Is that why it is a copy of Word 2000.  I wonder if the boys at www.fast.org.uk would be ok with the source of your current copy of Word? Wink

Quote:
I use the free voip when, hopefully my calls are not going to last long, if I think they are then I will use one of the Finera brand.

I have never known one of your calls to me to not last long. Wink

Quote:
It was my choice to use the coach, yes it was cheaper by a mile, (remember I did not even want to attend!), and the lack of sleep was not an issue!

Are you sure.  I seem to remember that you were in fact subjected to a very difficult and lengthy cross examination.

Quote:
I tend to use Morrisons as it is just across the road from me, but also use Asda,Lidl and Aldi.

I would fully expect you to shop only at Morrisons, Asda and Lidl.  That is why your support for overpriced Microsoft software came as such a surprise.  And having access to a pirate copy of Microsoft software doesn't count as an economic justification as they are illegal. Shocked

Quote:
I am happy with Word for what I need it for and have no reason to go onto Office.

Apart from when you need to open documents on the BT Wholesale website it would appear. Roll Eyes

My copy of Word is a legitimate disc, given to me by a friend who has his own business and received the Word disc with an updated/new computer, I cannot remember the reason why now, but he did not want this Word disc so gave it to me, it is registered in my name! so stop making,(wrong), assumptions and calling me a pirate!

The very odd calls I have made to you,(I could count them on one hand), are made using that vehicle as usually it is an answerphone I receive so the call cost nothing, your refernce to the call I made last week, was actually a complete new Beta I was trying and I told you the calls cut out after a maximum of 10 minutes, if I had known you where to talk about everything under the sun,(again), I would have  used 18185 for a call of unlimited duration for the total cost of 5p.

"very difficult and lengthy cross examination." ? I don't think so, I was in the "box" for no more than 10 minutes,(at least that is what it felt like), and I cannot see how you would know how it affected me, I do and it didn't!

I am not actually supporting Microsoft, but the, legitimate, copy of Word I have suits me for what I need it for and am quite happy to continue to use it.

Whats is wrong with shopping at those supermarkets? Millions shop there every week,(are you a closet snob?), Morrisons is the 5th largest supermarket in the country, and as I have said, they are across the road, why not use them? Lidli and Aldi are within 2 miles of me, whilst my nearest Tesco and Asda are over 8 miles away, you do the maths.

Funny that, but it appears to be the only document that I have not been able to open!

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #50 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:51am

FWIW,  the currently available version of the file was created with Microsoft Word 11.0.6359 (aka Word 2003, but not a fully updated version of same.)

Personally, I still use Word 2000 and it loaded it fine.  RTF is supposed to be a more portable document format than .doc, so as to stop issues between using files on different versions of the software.  I've got a recentt openoffice but had terrible trouble getting tables to behave when I last tried doing a doc in it a few weeks ago.  And it then crashed. 

Incidentally, and purely as an aside, just because a person has an original disc for an app, doesn't mean they have a licence to use it - Many apps bundled with computers are licenced for that machine only.  The disc is immaterial, it's the licence that's important.  Indeed, you used to be able to buy "media only" from MS for almost nothing (as long as you had also purchased, separately, licences for each proposed user.)

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #51 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:57am

Is this site looking to merge with the wholly worthwhile, but slightly different website, SayNotoMicrosoft.com; or perhaps, SayNotoFreeware.com, SayNotoRubbishSupermarkets.com, SayNotoOverpricedSupermarkets.com or even SayNotoFellowCampaigners.com?

Returning to the OP. Has anyone considered approaching the advertiser to see if perhaps they are genuinely unaware that what they were told by their telephone service provider is untrue.

I do not subscribe to the widespread belief that one can determine someone's moral standing simply from their choice of telephone number. I cannot see why a car dealer with a 0800 number is likely to be any different from one using 0843. If anything, the former is likely to be more expensive that the latter because of the need to cover higher marketing costs.

If one believes that everybody else in the world is crooked, exclusively seeking personal gain and out to do down everyone else, then that is not only sad, but also it makes campaigning with the intention of achieving any kind of success a complete waste of time.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:06pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:06pm

irrelevant wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:51am:
Incidentally, and purely as an aside, just because a person has an original disc for an app, doesn't mean they have a licence to use it - Many apps bundled with computers are licenced for that machine only.  The disc is immaterial, it's the licence that's important.  Indeed, you used to be able to buy "media only" from MS for almost nothing (as long as you had also purchased, separately, licences for each proposed user.)

The licence and registration is in my name with my I D as registered owner!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #53 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:08pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 at 11:57am:
Returning to the OP. Has anyone considered approaching the advertiser to see if perhaps they are genuinely unaware that what they were told by their telephone service provider is untrue.

This publication is known to the ASA, via me and others complaining about various things, I have personally complained at least 4 times over the last 12 months re different advertisers and 0845 described as "local rate", the ASA have had words with them so they are totally aware.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #54 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:17pm

derrick wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:08pm:
This publication is known to the ASA

Is it the publisher who is responsible for the copy provided by advertisers, rather than the advertisers themselves?

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #55 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:35pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:17pm:
derrick wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:08pm:
This publication is known to the ASA

Is it the publisher who is responsible for the copy provided by advertisers, rather than the advertisers themselves?

When I spoke to someone at the ASA late last year or early this year, I got the impression that they where saying the publisher is responsible for the copy that goes into the paper and that they where to have words with them, obviously the words are not good enough, but irrespective of who is at fault, it is up to the ASA to solve the problem in this case, as I have previously said, the ASA have had problems with the advertising in this "newspaper".

Quite why this thread has gone off topic I do not know, I think it is time to draw a line and leave it with me to pursue the ASA, my OP was to clarify the 0843 number, and that has been done!
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:35pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #56 - Dec 21st, 2008 at 1:03pm

derrick wrote on Dec 21st, 2008 at 12:35pm:
... pursue the ASA ...

There is some merit in getting misrepresentations removed, so this is worthwhile. The ASA is however some way from requiring all those who promote revenue sharing numbers to own up to the fact that they are used as a way of obtaining subsidy for costs (or earning money, if one prefers to put it in that way).

Whilst some think that there could be cases where such subsidy from callers is proper (if clearly declared), our shared campaigning purpose is primarily to see such activity ceased. I would urge members not to dismiss the possibililty that increasing awareness of how revenue sharing works and the costs that are actually incurred may cause some to stop doing it without the need for regulatory intervention. I see no reason why this could not apply to small businesses just as much as government departments.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge