Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Small Home Businesses (Read 9,812 times)
pobz

Plymouth
Small Home Businesses
Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:29am

I run a small business that doesn't make profit as its more of a service. I run this business from home and I have an 0845 number, which I earn no payment or commision from whatsoever, that is routed to my personal home number.  I wouldn't want to give out my home number as a contact for my business. I am also able to route the number to any other number I please on the fly which is very convenient and doesn't cost me.  When I decide to stop my business, I can along with its phone number too.  If I could afford a second line then perhaps, BUT my 0845 number is only used about 3 times a week as its a support number for a website.   The 08 concept works as a deterrent too, which is a good thing.

I am totally in agreeance with what you are doing I wholeheartedly support your cause and having just learned of it will actively recommend it, although just a small note to gently emphasise that some of these choices we make to have a 08 number is genuine for such home businesses like myself. If my home number ever appeared on this site, I would of course request its removal.

However...

Congrats on such a needed site and I hope that the cause continues to work and I shall indeed place a link on my site and mention it in my newsletter which goes out to 70,000 uk subscribers to my site.

Best,

Alex

Oh, and if you aren't sure of the real reasons as to why these 08 numbers suck more money out of us, then may I suggest you download and watch the movie Zeitgeist and its sequel Zeitgest Addendum.
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:32am by pobz »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Small Home Businesses
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:20am

That is all well and good, but as you don't receive any money, all the extra revenue it gets from the telephone company the caller is with (that's the retailer) it keeps.

If it were a 01, 02, or 03 number you provider would get about 0.3 pence per minute during the daytime. Because you have opted for a 0845 number it gets around an extra 1.5 pence per minute. This payment gives you your call routing benefits.

This obviously has implications for those telephone companies which retail calls such as BT, Virgin Media and Talk Talk as they are unlikely to want to make a loss.

The key here is not disagreeing with your motives, but recognising that callers are providing subsidy to your service.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:49am

Why don't you get a VoIP telephone? You can pick basic ones up fairly cheaply, and there are some VoIP providers that will give you a free incoming local phone number. You then only pay for outgoing charges, and your callers don't pay for the service.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 9:09am

jgxenite wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:49am:
Why don't you get a VoIP telephone? You can pick basic ones up fairly cheaply, and there are some VoIP providers that will give you a free incoming local phone number. You then only pay for outgoing charges, and your callers don't pay for the service.

Indeed.  And it means you don't have to withold CLI when you call customers back to avoid giving them your home phone number.  I've got a number from Tesco's pay-as-you-go service, never paid them a penny.  Don't think you need it tied to a PC, BTW. You can get adapters that just connect an existing phone to your broadband router, some routers have VoIP phone ports built in, or some mobile phones now have WiFi and SIP capability themselves, allowing use of such services whilst near a wireless network.

Or, if all that's too complicated, do what I did initially - rent a CallSign number on your phone line, so you get a second number (which you can ditch later) which rings differently, so you know what the call is for. £1.71/month from BT.   Yes, I know it costs more than nothing, but at least your customers won't feel ripped off, and you're not letting the telcos have the profit.

IP Logged

pobz

Plymouth
Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 9:37am

Yea, I hear you Dave.  I think I'll have a look at the alternatives.

I tried VoIP about three years ago and it just wasn't reliable for a number of reasons and was such a ballache. Maybe the technology has improved since then.  I wil have another a look into it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, appreciated.

Alex

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 9:45am

I've been using VoIP for the last few months, and aside from a few teething problems (mostly based on my internet connection at the time), I've never had any problems. The audio quality is fine, and it seems very reliable to me.

I'm using Localphone as my VoIP provider and a Snom 300 phone (which I acquired cheaply from ebay). Localphone have been very good in terms of service (and availability of local phone numbers) and I think their outgoing call rates are pretty cheap (1p a minute to 01/02/03 numbers).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 12:13pm

pobz wrote on Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:29am:
I am totally in agreeance with what you are doing

ok

Quote:
If my home number ever appeared on this site, I would of course request its removal.

So you sound like a hypocrite to me then by not wanting to pay the 084/7 surcharge on the calls you make but being fully prepared for other people to be surcharged when they call you.  I would certainly hope that if we ever discovered the underlying number for your 0845 number that the management of this website would not agree to its removal from the alternative numbers list.

You can now get all the features you want without your callers paying extra to call you by having an 03 prefixed phone number.  You have to pay a small off fee and about 0.5p per minute for the incoming calls.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dyw_genes

Looking after the pennies.

Cornwall
Reply #7 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 2:51pm

I recently bought (for £99+VAT) an 0800 number that gets transferred to my home/business no. for no charge.
It appears on my web-site as the contact no. for my business.
I don't understand how the company makes any money from it (other than the initial sale)?
I think there is some sort of ceiling on the total amount of calls that can be received before any charges are made to me for it's use.  But in the business I'm in I don't ever expect to reach that limit. Cool

When your number's up - that's it.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 3:06pm

Dyw_genes wrote on Jan 18th, 2009 at 2:51pm:
I recently bought (for £99+VAT) an 0800 number that gets transferred to my home/business no. for no charge.
It appears on my web-site as the contact no. for my business.
I don't understand how the company makes any money from it (other than the initial sale)?

This 0800 deal was mentioned before by another forum member.  As I recall it the 0800 number can only transfer to a landline free 01/02 number free of charge.  £99 + VAT for calls to a mobile would be too good a deal unless the number of minutes per month was very limited.

The company obviously potentially makes its money by the fact that £114 up front or so is a fair bit of money and landline calls to your home number at 0.5p per minute (perhaps their cost) will take a long time to exceed this.  Perhaps they plan to have liquidated that company or gone out of business before the value of your calls exceeds £114? Wink

A point to obviously consider is that 0800 numbers are still very expensive to call and are excluded from bundled minutes on a mobile phone and 40% of calls are from mobile phones.  Whereas 03 numbers are included in bundled minutes on mobile phones.  So it could be argued that you should have both an 0800 number and an 03 number if you want to make it as cheap as possible for callers to contact you in all possible circumstances.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge