Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
National Railway Museum using 0844 (Read 18,216 times)
poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
National Railway Museum using 0844
Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:28am

A few weeks ago, I sent the following email to the NRM:

I was going to ring you today to request some information but didn't as you are using an 0844 premium rate telephone number.

Are you aware that use of such a telephone number is against government guidelines for public bodies such as the NRM?

As someone who refuses  to use premium rate numbers to call ordinary land lines just to profit telephone companies, I do hope that the NRM will reconsider the use of premium rate telephone numbers, and begin using a normal 01, 02 or 03 number.

Are you aware that the NRM has been added to the Hall of Shame list of public bodies using these numbers on the Say No to 0870 website?  Use of the 0844 number is bringing the NRM into disprepute.

Today I received the following reply:

I’d like to reassure you that your comments are taken seriously and are still being investigated. I’m sorry that I am unable to give you a full answer at this stage but have requested the relevant information from colleagues in order to give you a full reply.

Until I have received this information it is not possible for me to comment further but I will respond fully in the hopefully not too distant future

Sincerely

Jim Lowe
Visitor Experience Operations Manager
National Railway Museum
Leeman Road
York
YO26 4XJ

I'll keep you all posted when I get another reply.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: National Railway Museum using 0844
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:45am

Good for you poppasmurf, well done. Smiley

IP Logged

poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 11:58am

It's now August, and I've still not had a reply from the National Railway Museum. I've today sent off a reminder email to see if we can get some action....but don't hold your breath!
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2009 at 11:58am by poppasmurf »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2009 at 5:25pm

The NRM might be interested to read this recent briefing from the Cabinet Office (Contact Council).

It is hardly dynamite, but it is worthy of being used to back up any contact with a public body.

We are looking forward to stronger guidance that may follow.

IP Logged

poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 2:55pm

I have today received the following reply from the NRM, which clearly shows that this organisation has no idea whatsoever what they are talking about when it comes to 08 telephone numbers. Any suggestions on the direction I should now point them in?  The later reference to the increasing use of non-geographic numbers in the future is rather ominous.

Dear ....

Our understanding of current Ofcom advice is that the use of 084x numbers is permissible, but not 087x. We do not operate a 087x number.

Where it is possible to do so, for example we advertise a direct line to a 01904 number charged at normal rates. Our website currently advertises 01904 numbers for:

Research Enquiries
Group Bookings
School Bookings and information
Enquiries re Car Parking and access
Retail Enquires
Learning Activities

The National Railway Museum is part of the National Museum of Science and Industry, a not for profit organisation. Any income generated is therefore used entirely towards our ongoing operating costs and our stewardship of the National Collection of Rail Vehicles.

We are reviewing our use of current telephone contact points and would anticipate that we will in the future be increasing our use of non-geographic numbers. As this review is ongoing I cannot give any definitive dates at this time.

Sincerely    

Jim Lowe
Visitor Experience Operations Manager
National Railway Museum
Leeman Road
York
YO26 4XJ

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:02pm by poppasmurf »  

IP Logged

poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2009 at 2:58pm

If anybody wants to send any info to Jim Lowe at the NRM, his email address is:

jim {dot} lowe {at} nrm {dot} org {dot} uk

~ Edited by Dave: E-mail address changed to prevent spambots picking it up
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2009 at 3:00pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2009 at 1:42am

As well as the useful document published by the Contact Council, referred to previously, Mr Lowe may be interested to refresh his understanding of Ofcom advice by referring to the following:

Number Translation Services (NTS) including 0870: FAQs - notably question 6 (some of this is now out of date).
Ofcom introduces UK-wide 03 numbers - a full description of the 03 range, from when it was launched.
The 03 alternative - addressing the change that organisations now need to make.

All of these documents may be recommended as valuable reading for any public sector body using revenue sharing numbers.

It could be worthwhile to challenge the need for non-geographic numbers, to confirm that it is not simply to gain the subsidy provided by the revenue share.

The difference in cost between a 0844 and 03 number is the amount of subsidy that callers are providing. (Notwithstanding profiteering by telephone service providers.)

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Science Museum Group use of 0844
Reply #7 - May 8th, 2017 at 3:13pm

Good Afternoon,

I recently contacted the Science Museum Group, who run the National Railway Museum (NRM) in York, the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford, as well as the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) in Manchester and the Science Museum in London.  My reason for contacting them was that both the NRM (York) and the NSMM (Bradford) both use 0844 contact numbers where as the MOSI and the Science Museum London use either an 01 or 03 number.

I have had a reply back that advises that as part of a wider ICT project all their telephones will be changed and as part of that project the numbers will be changed as well, and therefore the 0844 numbers will be dropped.

I have contacted them to question what number type will be used to replace the 0844 numbers, and await a reply.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2017 at 3:14pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2017 at 8:04am

Obviously they are museums of old phone numbers Angry

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2017 at 9:45am

allegro wrote on May 9th, 2017 at 8:04am:
Obviously they are museums of old phone numbers Angry

I guess they are, and they are now (hopefully) entering this century with a decent contact number that does not cost us the earth to ring!
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2017 at 11:06am by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

poppasmurf

Bewdley, Worcs
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2017 at 9:50am

It's only taken eight and a half years to get this far.

Perhaps they think it appropriate to keep their phone numbers "in the steam age!!!"  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge