Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Orange attempting another rip-off? (Read 22,989 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Orange attempting another rip-off?
Sep 4th, 2009 at 12:07pm

Have been away for a while but I can't find any other posts on this topic so have started a new one.   Orange are, apparently, compelling contract customers to have itemised billing at a cost of £1.70 per month.   My son is FURIOUS about this as he renewed his contract only in July instore and specifically signed the box opting out of itemised billing, this contract was countersigned by the store manager.   Is anyone else aware of this?   Has anyone else done anything aboout it eg successfully challenged it?   If so, how?   I am assuming, cynically, that Orange have decided to do this to make up the shortfall caused by them being forced into a U-turn over other proposed price rises (this is is another thread).  Any help/advice would be gratefully received.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Orange attempting another rip-off?
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 1:21pm

Is this £1.70 charge for Orange to send him a hardcopy through the post only?

Bills can be downloaded from Orange's website. Does this charge apply to them? If it doesn't, could he live with downloading them?

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 3:10pm

Yes, it is for the hard copy but that is what he wants and what we would always advise him to have.  He does not want the itemised bill, just the basic paper bill he has had for the last four years that he has had the contract with Orange.  He feels that they are in breach of contract in that he opted out of the itemised billing as he is content with the basic billing.  He has had ENORMOUS problems with Orange over the years - two major complaints to them in 2008 alone which were only resolved due to help from other forum members with contact details.   Their incompetence is breathtaking.  His computer is not the most reliable and, basically, none of us trusts internet billing on its own.   Why is he still with Orange, I hear you ask?   In our village, it is the ONLY mobile signal that we can receive at the house at all (& a lot of the time it fails, you can even lose signal between dialling & lifting the phone to your ear!!)  His anger is because he signed a contract in July & now that is being overridden without him being given any other option (in spite of the fact that Orange says this is "in response to customer demand").   As I said, I wonder if this is just a means of recouping the sums they expected to get from price rises which were abandoned.   I just wondered what other Orange customers were doing.  Again, any help/advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 3:54pm

Are you saying that anyone who agreed to basic billing will now be switched to full itemised billing at their cost?

Or are you saying that pay monthly customers who opted to have no paper billing (basic or itemised) will now be opted in and charged?

I would feel inclined to write to drop an e-mail to the executive office.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2009 at 4:57pm

Yes, as in your first sentence, those who opted not to have itemised billing are now being switched to it at their cost without any choice, (unless they agree to paperless billing, when they will still get that on an itemised basis even if they don't want or need it).

We will be contacting Orange and I was wondering about Trading Standards as Orange are breaching the contract.   As I said, I just wondered if any other Orange customers had any experience of this.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Just for your information I have an o2 'pay up front' contract and they charge me 99 pence plus VAT for an itemised bill every month.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 3:10pm

Thanks for that Sherbert but did you agree to that when you signed the contract?   The point is that our son specifically did not but signed the opt out which was countersigned by the store manager.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Sep 5th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Yes I did Barbara. I had the choice of wanting it or not. Mind you this was something like ten or so years ago and I decided at the time I did, it has remained the same price since then.

I agree with you, your son's case is not right. Call their bluff and pull out of the contract, they don't usually like losing customers. If they say he can't because he is breaking his contract, tell them they are breaking theirs. Good luck Smiley

IP Logged

catj

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 12:58am

There's a clause in the contract that says something like "if the provider changes the terms and conditions during the life of the contract in such a way that the terms are more onerous, or are to the detriment of the customer, then the customer can give 28 days notice to leave".

So, phone 'em up, quote the relevant stuff at 'em, and get a PAC number if you want to take your number to another network, or just give 'em the required 28 days notice if you just want the whole thing cancelled and don't require the same number on a different deal.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2009 at 4:51am

This seems like a back-door way of introducing a charge for paper billing, which is becoming the norm in the telecoms business. It sounds as though those who are already paying for itemised bills will be charged nothing extra, although the option for a summary only bill has been removed.

My tip would be to call Orange Customer services, taking the "I'm thinking of leaving Orange" option for a chat. The staff on that service are usually fairly clued-up on the ins and outs of issues, including the concessions available to retain customers. Unless there is a serious intention to leave, I would go for a write-off of the itemised billing fee for as long as I could get away with - ideally the remaining duration of the contract.

If writing to say that you find electronic billing unsuitable, for goodness sake don't do this by email. That would immediately weaken or destroy the argument. If only communication on paper is acceptable to you, then you need to demonstrate this.

I personally feel that only those with no reasonable access to the Internet have a gripe against a reasonable fee for paper billing, but sadly they are those least willing and able to make their voices heard as we push forward with "Digital Britain". I am sure that this change offers grounds for cancellation of the contract, indeed it was the threat (and reality) of mass defections that caused Orange to cancel the recently announced price rises for contract customers.

As for my situation with Orange, I am totally confused. I find that I am paying £1.28 per month for an itemised bill. It is so long since I joined and saw any paperwork that I have not got a clue what I have signed up for. (Does anybody understand any mobile tariff? - I have found a list of the eight different types of bill that Orange offers, but no table of charges.) I sometimes check the calls online, and dutifully file away the unread paper copies out of habit. I will have a chat with them later to see if I am paying for something I do not want. If I discover anything worthwhile I will post again.

IP Logged

Brymboman

Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:23pm

Hi Barbra

I too have just received my orange bill informing me that in future I will be charged for an itemized bill.
I have just called orange, and told them that I want to continue to receive a bill summary for no charge as per my original contract.
They agreed to this with no problem, so I will continue to receive a bill summary, at no cost, for the remainder of my contract which ends in April next year.
I hope this helps.      

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 3:55pm

Hi there, yes, my son did phone Orange (delayed as he had had tonsilitis & couldn't speak).  The woman did agree to waive the charge having consulted her manager but did say "when you sign the contract you agree Orange can change the terms & conditions" which is a very wide-sweeping statement, I had thought, like many others, this would only apply to minor things eg statement date, not actual charges which are significant or something where you had specifically signed an opt-out such as the statement charge.  When I get time, I do intend to speak to Trading Standards (or Consumer Direct as I believe it is now called) to see what level of changes are considered acceptable in law otherwise Orange could double the monthly payment & it be considered OK which I am sure is not the case.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 4:04pm

I suppose Barbara, they cover themselves in repy #8 posted by catj

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 4:18pm

Brymboman wrote on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:23pm:
I too have just received my orange bill informing me that in future I will be charged for an itemized bill.
I have just called orange, and told them that I want to continue to receive a bill summary for no charge as per my original contract.
They agreed to this with no problem, so I will continue to receive a bill summary, at no cost, for the remainder of my contract which ends in April next year.

IIRC, when Orange stopped allowing free calls to freephone numbers on pay monthly tariffs, people reported ringing up and being given them for free for the remainder of their contract.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:29pm

So, it seems, Orange try it on, then waive the charges for those who do complain, but profit unreasonably from the vast majority who accept the increased charges because they think they have no choice?  Legal but hardly moral!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge