<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are they cheaper? (Read 7,135 times)
Rattybag

Are they cheaper?
Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:27am

I dont know if its me being a bit thick, but I'm new to this and it takes my poor brain time to work things out!
The thing is, I put in a 08457 number and requested alternative numbers, and it did indeed come up with other numbers to use instead.
However, As I will need to use my mobile, how do I know the alternative numbers will be cheaper than the original?
It doesnt actually state what the alternative cost would be.
Or do I assume it WILL be cheaper anyway?

Rattybag.  Smiley

IP Logged

irrelevant

Re: Are they cheaper?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:59am

From a mobile, in every case that I know of, calling numbers starting 01 02 or 03 will be cheaper than any number starting 08 (including "freephone" numbers, which mobiles generally charge extra for.  The only exceptions are for a very small numbers of helplines, mostly starting 0808 80, which will still be free.)

From landlines, it's somewhat more complicated.  Depending on your call package and provider, sometimes 0845 and 0870 calls might be inclusive, so incur you no charge, for certain times of day.  Outside these times, BT charge less than geographic rates for 0845 to some customers, wheras other providers charge more.

Also from BT, 0844/0843 calls cost up to 5p/min, which for some numbers may already be cheaper than landline calls, and for all ranges from 1st October, if you would be paying for calling landlines..

So, it's almost impossible to say which is the cheapest number to call in any given situation.  If you have a telephone package which gives inclusive calls or a minutes allowance these are generally limited to 01/02/03 numbers, so using a number from this range would be the best to use as you'd not be paying extra for this call.  Some landline providers have started adding 0845 and 0870 ranges only, which may therefore be callable at certain times.  If you are calling from a landline outside any inclusive call period or allowance, then it really depends on the provider and tariff which is best to use, and therefore only you can answer that.

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:01am by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:27am

Rattybag wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 9:27am:
However, As I will need to use my mobile, how do I know the alternative numbers will be cheaper than the original?
It doesnt actually state what the alternative cost would be.
Or do I assume it WILL be cheaper anyway?

irrelevant has covered it nicely. To be sure, consult your telephone providers pricing information for the tariff you're on. Not the answer you were hoping, but there is no way to say as it is ultimately dependent on your provider.

The general advice is more straightforward with mobiles and that is that 01/02/03 numbers are the cheapest to dial. 08 numbers are usually more expensive. But you can call "freephone" (0800/0808/0500) numbers from your mobile for the same price as a 01/02/03 call using a dial-through provider such as 020 0222 0900.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:40pm

Dave wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:27am:
irrelevant has covered it nicely.

I agree with Dave, this is better than my attempts at explaining this concisely.

I do however have sympathy with Rattybag, who is NOT being thick. These issues do test the brain and demand far more time and energy than most people are able or ready to commit to perhaps saving a few coppers on a phone call. In some cases however it is more than a few coppers.

It is BT which has made this issue particularly confusing by charging less for calls that cost it more to place. It has succeeded in getting a few others to follow it. We also have the equivalent of the "fly to Paris for £1" providers in the market. Whilst these perverse prices are genuine we cannot oppose them, even though it makes the situation more complex than we would wish and appears to undermine the essential point that we are making.

Please bear with us Rattybag, we are doing the best that can be done.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:49pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 3:40pm:
Dave wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:27am:
irrelevant has covered it nicely.

I agree with Dave, this is better than my attempts at explaining this concisely.

lol. Thanks, Both.  It's still not as clear as I would have liked, but it's a fiendishly complicated thing to get across, the "yes and no and maybe sometimes but not othertimes depending on this and that but not the other" situation we have with call charging these days..

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #5 - Sep 9th, 2009 at 12:17am

irrelevant wrote on Sep 8th, 2009 at 10:49pm:
it's a fiendishly complicated thing to get across

Indeed it is.

Please all forgive me for going on about this, but it is made much simpler if you explain how revenue sharing causes a premium charge to be passed from the caller to the called, and then say "BT charges may vary".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge