Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alliance & Leicester - Current accounts (Read 19,180 times)
DJ_Mike

Alliance & Leicester - Current accounts
Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:07am

I'm desparately trying to find a geographical (non-0800) number for Alliance & Leicester current accounts that I can call inside my usage limit from my mobile phone.

I've tried many of the numbers listed on the main site here but most of them are now inopperative or connect to the wrong person. I've prefixed them with 141 as well.

Does anyone know of a number that actually works or am I doomed to have to call their 0844 number?

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:56am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Working Alliance & Leicester Current accounts
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:24am

Whilst I am looking for existing threads on this topic, please fill in the missing blanks:

What is the 0844 number you are provided with?
Are there not and 01/02 alternatives listed here?
Do they not provide an "overseas" alternative?

IP Logged

DJ_Mike

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:39am

The number they provide is 0844 800 9000. The alternatives to it on this website that begin 01 all seem to be disconnected or (on one of them) direct to a residential/other business number (I had to apologise for calling a wrong number on that one!).

I have done a forum search but no one seems to have discussed any new numbers for A&L for quite a while now.

Their overseas alternative is simply their 0844 number.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:55am

DJ_Mike wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:39am:
The number they provide is 0844 800 9000. The alternatives to it on this website that begin 01 all seem to be disconnected or (on one of them) direct to a residential/other business number (I had to apologise for calling a wrong number on that one!).

You're asking for help on here, but this works two ways. Would you care to share with us the numbers that need removing from the database so I can do just that? And those numbers which are for different A&L departments (or different company), please tell us then the relevant changes can be made.

DJ_Mike wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:39am:
Their overseas alternative is simply their 0844 number.

Alliance & Leicester has been discussed at length on here for "banning" people who dare to call its 01 overseas number (when it had one).
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:57am by Dave »  

IP Logged

DJ_Mike

Re: Alliance & Leicester - Current accounts
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:09pm

The following numbers are now either disconnected (i.e. the number not recognised) or go somewhere completely unrelated:

01332 340371
0151 966 2983
0151 928 7554

I did not try any further numbers as they did not seem related to what I was trying to do.

However, I did grab my work landline and call the following number which DID work (and was identical to 0844 800 9000):

0800 0 566 066

So while I couldn't get a geographical number, for people who can get to a landline, there is a perfectly identical 0800 alternative.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:22pm

Thanks. If you find any other entries that require editing or removal, please let me know by posting in the Requests section of the forum, i.e. number unverified that can be verified, number no longer recognised that needs removing, alternative number that now directs elsewhere.

You can call freephone numbers from your mobile for the same charge as a geographic or landline number (01/02/03) by using a dial through number. Calls will come from inclusive minutes where applicable.

Dial 020 0222 0900 and when it answers, it will prompt you for the destination number.

If you call this number from your mobile often, then you can store it in the phone's memory by inserting a pause between the 020 and 0800 number. In this example the letter 'p' signifies pause:

02002220900p08000566066

Post here if you would like help with this.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:30pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

DJ_Mike

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:39pm

That's really helpful - thanks! The last 0800-from-mobile dialler I used proved exceedingly unreliable, so I'll give that one a try.

The one thing I still haven't figured out with that, however, is how to add a 'p' with my Samsung Omnia - I tried adding one manually but it just threw up an error.

EDIT: Never mind Smiley Must have been another issue with the old 0800-buster I used to use. Added a manual 'p' to my phone contact, and it works fine! Thank-you!
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:45pm by DJ_Mike »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:45pm

DJ_Mike wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:39pm:
That's really helpful - thanks! The last 0800-from-mobile dialler I used proved exceedingly unreliable, so I'll give that one a try.

There are quite a few about. MoneySavingExpert.com has guidance on this topic. I should point out that I can't vouch for any of these services, including the 020 0222 0900 one I mentioned above. However, I often point people to this service and none have reported any problems.

The one thing I still haven't figured out with that, however, is how to add a 'p' with my Samsung Omnia - I tried adding one manually but it just threw up an error.

Hold down '*' for a couple of seconds.  Wink

IP Logged

DJ_Mike

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:47pm

Dave wrote on Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:45pm:
Hold down '*' for a couple of seconds.  Wink

See my edit above Smiley But nonetheless the '*' technique definitely doesn't work on my phone (must be a missing feature from Windows Mobile) - but adding a manual 'p' definitely works.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:47pm by DJ_Mike »  

IP Logged

scubatony

At my Desk
Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2010 at 6:45am

Samsung, Motorola- press and hold * until p appears

Hope that helps

Tony

My website gives you a great deal on advertising your property. For a VERY minimal cost your property gets international exposure and actively promoted.&&One listing, Thirty photos,365 days £0.99p &&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge