Desktop (Read 25,145 times)
Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Desktop
Nov 7th, 2009 at 6:24pm

Hey all i am Rex,

I would like to know how many of you would love to use this service on your windows desktop?
I have already emailed the site to see what they say with some little update i need to beable to
complete the work but i have already been working on a program that give you the details via your
desktop and it will also have save number option for later use.

If you guys like the idea hit me a line here, I might not be able to offer it as the same if the site
does not want this serice but i already have a working consept that would easly offered as freeware.

Cheesy this service is great lets move it to the 21st cent  Wink

Also i am pritty open to ideas on the look of the app so if you like to get on board with this and have GUI's ideas you can
how them and the best might become the new look of the app.

Geeky small time programmer

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Re: Desktop
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 8:21pm

Here was the old look to it, the new look wont be that much diffrent unless users get there ideas in  Grin

New version will also support NO Keyboad Inputing

will be more definded in its return.

Sorry the return output is half way been changed thats why there is no screen of it just yet.

Rex

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2009 at 11:30pm

I am really struggling to understand this thread. Is there a translation available? I vaguely understand line 1. The second line, I'm not so sure about, and the third is pretty much incomprehensible.

<<
New version will also support NO Keyboad Inputing

will be more definded in its return.

Sorry the return output is half way been changed thats why there is no screen of it just yet.

>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 12:58am

idb, hello well let me first thank you for replying,

Ok what my lost says is that the program was changed soon as i felt it was useful for the public,

When i say "will be more definded in its return." I mean the return the software needs to complete
the action this is in more of the dev terms sorry. I do forget not eveyone understands programming like i
do.

"New version will also support NO Keyboad Inputing"
When i said this i meant not eveyone as a keyboad sometimes its a touch screen or mouse only
computer and this will enable you to dial the number little like the Ipod/Iphone app based on the same idea

"Sorry the return output is half way been changed thats why there is no screen of it just yet."

Just like i said before this is what the program needs to with and i am changing how it handles this action
so if i tryed using that function it would of give me a error what does not give nice screen shots lol.

I hope that cleaned it up.

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 4:29am

Ok i have not completed the next part but i have it working kind of so here is the screen shot, this is still using a a HTML formated style
but this will be removed from the final version just to show you little what i will do i thought this be faster.

Rex

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 10:44am

Spellchecker and a concept of the English language may help!

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Re: Desktop ~ edited
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:29am

@ derrick: Why in fk are thay people like you ? never once do you think that i could be dislixic ..... or wait i am, and if you ever gave it a thought you
would also know that spell checkers in most cases don't WORK.

My post is clear enough to read if you have a problem with it i going to say this simple enough Tough!

Now i say this to eveyone post about the program or don't post at all as i seen many people on this forum so bitchy just grow up and start been
kind to your fellow user.

I have had 3 other people ready my post and all of them read it fine.

@ Daniel: thanks for your reply to my email.

Eveyone else get your ideas in no matter how silly others might think it is, it could become part of the program and designs can be made in Pain Paint.NET, PS, just save it as a PNG file.

I have edited this to add little more.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2009 at 1:33pm by Rexzooly »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:15pm

Rex,

The problem with your post was that the meaning behind it was completely lost by the incomprehensible way it was put.  I quite understand, if you are dyslexic, the reason behind it, and I've got relatives who have those same issues, but you have to see that there is a difference between a newbie posting an announcement about a software product, and chatting with people who know you.  For the latter case, it doesn't matter because the people will make allowances.  For the former, talking to strangers, first impressions count, and you have to make sure you give a good impression.   Yes, spell checkers have their limitations, but they do help.  Spend a little extra time on the presentation, and you'll get your message across much quicker.

Personally, I use the latest version of Opera (browser) as it automatically spell checks as I type, complete with the little red line underneath that you see in certain word processors.  It's made me a lot more concious of how my postings look.

As for your program ...  apart from the "why, when you can just keep a tab open in the browser?" question, I think that it looks fine.  I'd try and keep it as one window, however, rather than spawning separate windows for the results.  Maybe use tabs to organise them.  (I tend to keep so much open, I lose windows behind others, and apps that have separate windows can sometimes get stuck at the back.)

Don't be disheartened, keep working on it, and keep us informed!
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2009 at 6:16pm by irrelevant »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 8:32pm

Just a few comments on broader issues that may be worth consideration.

Now that 0870 is nothing more than a range on which some telcos charge an unwarranted premium, which may simply be a transitional effect, there has been considerable thought about rebranding the website. The need for delivery of apps to add to and retrieve from the voluntarily assembled database of alternative numbers also raise questions about its future. The Bulletin Board approach to communications between campaigners and those concerned with issues surrounding the database, especially using a rather old version of YABB, is also open to question.

The infrastructure that supports "SayNoTo0870" is to some degree reliant on revenue from advertising. There is no requirement for the site owner to declare whether this represents subsidy of his voluntary financial contribution (as is assumed), or if it represents a money-making enterprise. Issues of funding and ownership have to be clearly understood.

The terms are recognised and accepted by those who freely contribute alternative numbers and participate in forum discussions. There are also those who put in voluntary effort to verify the content of the database and to moderate the forum discussion. It appears that a new group is looking to join the project - developers of add-on applications.

The question has been raised in response to this posting in another thread as to whether developers are actually "part of the project" or are simply capitalising on what they wrongly think to be a public resource.

I hope that all those involved will give some thought to these issues. I know that some are giving serious thought to applying a little more structure to the "community" that exists around this site. I wish them well in their efforts and (as with this posting) I am happy to support them.

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 8:47pm

@ SilentCallsVictimas

My project would not and will not use this site if the owners say no as i respect that i have another service i can use that offers a API but i don't want to cos this site is better known and seems to offer better numbers and well i support this site not the other one.

@ irrelevant

I know what you mean but i can't see witch spelling is the right one lol but i over reacted little i do sometimes when people online don't think about
others but hey lol.

I am still working on its look i can change its look kind of easly i am still working on the returning of the results if you have a image of the idea
you have said please post it  Tongue

The program is made to be a fast to access something you can just leave in your system tray till you need it you know, it will also give you the option to save the number and also email the number to a friend.

Tabbing well that would be nice but i would have to manual make that as the software i make the GUI does not support that. but if you have a look in mind show me cos i can make it tab just little hardfer lol.

I forget this domain alot so that was another reason.

This app can also include other tools or actions of people like to see them.

Thanks SayNoTo0870.com for a good service.

I keep you guys posted on the program I am just working on a few things at once here Cheesy so might be this coming weekend i get more details
to you. I hope to have a demo out soon also.

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:52am

Rexzooly wrote on Nov 8th, 2009 at 8:47pm:
I am still working on its look i can change its look kind of easly i am still working on the returning of the results if you have a image of the idea
you have said please post it  Tongue

Here's a quick 20 minute mockup in VB.  It's actually fully working part from the http_get and parsing, which is immaterial to the look..   As you can see, I'm no graphics design person..

If I complete it, I'd add functionality such as when you bring it to the front, if the clipboard has a number in it, automatically fill in the search box,..

HTH

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:58am

Kool think you might out do me lol but i don't us VB i hate it.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:12am

Rexzooly wrote on Nov 8th, 2009 at 8:47pm:
My project would not and will not use this site if the owners say no as i respect that i have another service i can use that offers a API but i don't want to cos this site is better known and seems to offer better numbers and well i support this site not the other one.

I had hoped that my comments might stimulate some slightly deeper thought and consideration.

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:15am

Why? the hope point me making a brandard program is so that the site finds it usefu, i do this free as i can and i am kind but there are many other projects i work on and if they said no then i would fairly drop it, but i have not got a no so at this time its still going ahead.

Your comment is fair but i have rules and if a service says no i listen means i have time to look for another to help out.
I offer it as thanks to this site not just the users, if the site says no it means that it would be picking the users choce for them also.

But don't worry seems any people have there ideas on this kind project i still have ticks up my slave to make mine better Cheesy

IP Logged

Rexzooly

Programming the night
way

UK
Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:03am

Maybe this one then ? little less VB little more friendly Cheesy this was just a fast mok up.

This is just a template for the end product.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge