Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221234? (Read 171,963 times)
irrelevant

Re: Is Transport for London to switch to 0843 2221
Reply #15 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:55am

I'm sorry; my knowledge of telecoms is mostly technical, and from an interested-observer point of view - I have no inside knowledge.  My political and campaigning skills are zero and I happily defer to those whom are much better at it.

My impression is that many of those whom have been sold 08 numbers have been done so by unscrupulous salespersons who sell on the basis of the income available, and gloss over, or just lie about, the additional costs for callers.  Also, they have become so common, and the untruths ("local call rate" etc) so often quoted, that there's a fair amount of "well if they can do it, so can I" too.  Nobody tells them that it can put off customers from calling...

Whilst it is true that 01/02 numbers can be linked to all the same call handling facilities as NGN numbers, to add this to an existing number can involve some technical trickery, as the standard BT exchanges do not generally support it - either additional equipment would need to be installed in-house, or the number would have to be ported to another operator who can handle it, either of which might involve some downtime at point of changeover.

Supply of a new number of any sort avoids this, of course, as it can be set up in parallel first.  And operators will push 08* numbers as their cut is much higher, and it gives them enough margin to cover the cost of forwarding the call back to the existing 01/02 number, so making setup far easier.  This is why we usually find geographic numbers behind NGN numbers.

The only benefits of 03 over using a geographic number that I can see are:
- it'll slot right into existing NGN providers infrastructure
- it still provides geographic anonymity (and no need for providers to get allocations in every area code)
- migration options, e.g. 0845->0345 to make changing over numerically simpler.
- plus the smaller benefit of having enough new numbers available to find a memorable one.

I think the second of these is the most important.  Despite everything, there is still a perceived disadvantage of calling "long distance" among a large segment of the population.  03, like the original intent of 0845, addresses this.

Obviously in the case of a local business serving a local area, be that John Smith the Blacksmith, or Transport for London, people would expect them to be on a "local" (ie, relevant are code) number.   Having an NGN can be counter-productive.  I've called businesses with NGNs that are not able to help me as I've turned out to be out of their area!  Obviously if they had real numbers, I'd have been able to tell this before I called.

I think there is a case for educating the people in businesses whom get sold NGNs about the true facts.  It's too easy for them to be blinded by the pound signs in their eyes, letting them be taken in by the salespersons.  What use is being told that 0844 is only 5p/min from a BT landline when your target audience is going to be calling from mobiles or payphones at between 20 and 40p/min?   I wonder how much clout the ASA could have in this - they already rule against incorrect pricing; would they be amenable to a suggestion that pricing should be "appropriate" too - i.e. if the callers are expected to be mobile users, then typical mobile pricing should be quoted rather than landline pricing ..  Anybody got any feelers into them?

Sorry this has been a bit of a ramble..

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 2:43pm

There are essentially three options:

1. Keep the existing number and operate the new service on it.
2. Get a new number that will be charged to callers at their normal geographical rate.  This will be a 01, 02 or 03 prefixed number.
3. Get a new number of the revenue sharing kind that carry a premium. This will be a 084x/0871/09 prefixed number.

In response to these I make the following points and pose some questions:
  • Option 1 will cost nothing for changing signs at bus stops and so on as they won't need changing.
  • Does the existing service function perfectly well on the current number? If so, why is it necessary to change to a non-geographical number?
  • If there are technical operational improvements over the current setup that can be made, then are they not available on the current number?
  • In order to charge service users directly, the telephone number must be changed. If this option is taken, then how long will it be before it comes into the black, taking into account the cost of promoting the new number, including changing signage?
  • Reasons for going for option 3 are:
    • to charge service users directly, or;
    • to charge service users directly and for necessary technical benefits not available on the current number.
  • We shouldn't assume that all users of revenue sharing numbers really need any aledged technical/operational benefits of using a non-geographical number.

There is one further reason for using a non-geographical number and that is that it provides geographical anonymity. I may understand this if the service were for an area served by many different STD codes, particularly where the code used is a national (long distance) call for some, where they may perceive that the service isn't really for their area. As this is not the case, I don't see this as an issue.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2009 at 2:46pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 3:14pm

Returning to an earlier point made in this thread, if one of the reasons for using 0843 is to be able to increase automation and reduce the number of operators is this not, too, against consumer interests?   Surely the main reason to phone TfL (certainly when I have called them) is because I want to speak to a PERSON as I have a specific question which may also generate a follow-up query?   If generalised automated information was sufficient, surely their website or a leaflet would be adequate?   Hence another reason why 0843 would be a VERY BAD THING if it leads to less opportunity for human contact!

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 4:53pm

Barbara wrote on Nov 28th, 2009 at 3:14pm:
Returning to an earlier point made in this thread, if one of the reasons for using 0843 is to be able to increase automation and reduce the number of operators is this not, too, against consumer interests?  

It may be ... but there is no technical reason why they would need to move to an 08(43) number to do this.  It could be done on their existing number

IP Logged

catj

Reply #19 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 8:59pm

There's a new tube map to be published around December 9th/16th (I believe) and then again in March.

I'd guess any change would occur at one of those points.

IP Logged

alan99

Reply #20 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:24pm

It goes without saying. An absolutely stupid idea from Tfl.
Not only is the 020 7222 1234 famous , it is easy to remember.

Can the 08 number be dialled from all overseas phones? I think some phones wont allow the connection. If the 08 no. can be rung at all from overseas it will be very expensive.
Many visitors and returnees will need to check with Tfl before arriving on late planes for example. Weekend engineering works, last trains from Heathrow etc etc.

I wonder if Tfl will go down the same route as Abbey National have recently. That is allow the geographic number to be dialled but only from an overseas phone. Abbey block calls from Uk lines to their 01908 237963 phone banking number.

Alan

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:39pm by alan99 »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2009 at 10:15pm

Source: Evening Standard

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23777011-tfl-to-charge-40p-a-minu...

<<
TfL to charge 40p a minute for travel information

Katharine Barney, City Hall Reporter

Bosses at Transport for London are facing a public backlash over plans to make passengers pay more for travel information by phone.

The company wants to change its telephone information line to a higher rate number which means it will receive part of the money from the cost of the call.

Currently passengers call an 020 7 number but this is to be changed to an 0843 number - against the advice of telephone regulator Ofcom.

Callers from pre pay mobiles will now be charged 40p per minute rather than 20p. On a land line it will cost 3-5p, similar to its current level.

Passenger watchdog London Travelwatch condemned the moveand said it was preparing a report.

A spokeswoman said: "Passengers should be able to call on a low cost number and not have to pay any more."

Members of the London Assembly's transport committee also criticised the number change as "outrageous" that would hurt the poorest the most.

Labour member Val Shawcross said: "People logged onto a computer will normally be able to find the information they need free of charge, but if you think about the poor pensioners who want to make a trip - it could cost them quite a lot of money."

TfL has also switched the number used by buskers to book pitches to an 084 number which is said to cost up to £20 a week.

A spokesman for TfL defended the move, saying that it was being made so an automated service could be implemented.

He claimed that some customers would pay less as TfL would be able to handle a greater volume of calls.

TfL's public affairs manager Graham Orr said in an email: "Through the percentage of the call income we receive, TfL will only cover the cost of providing our services - we are not making a 'profit'."
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #22 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 2:36am

irrelevant wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:14pm:
Has anybody asked TfL about it yet? I'm happy to submit an FoI request about it - something along the lines of:
- do they propose to operate on an NGN, and if so, on what range [just to clear up the are-they-aren't-they question]
- what would happen to 020 722 1234
- what consideration have they made with regard to mobile and payphone users who would pay substantially more?
- what costs do they anticipate in changing all references?
- what income do they anticipate receiving?

anything else?
Yes - the likely inability to guarantee termination of internationally-originated calls, especially as London is a significant destination for foreign visitors.

I cannot, as yet, see any prima facie evidence that TfL intends to introduce this number, although I wouldn't be surprised if such number appeared. I've had a quick scan of TfL's news releases, and also a web search, and there appears to be little of any substance.

Given London's status as an "alpha world city", it is quite inappropriate for its transport system to use a telephone number that will be impossible for many potential callers to actually use.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #23 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 8:42am

Maybe it's the cynic in me, but one wonders if TfL are thinking of the massive amount of revenue they could generate from transport-related calls during the Olympics?

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #24 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 9:25am

jgxenite wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 8:42am:
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but one wonders if TfL are thinking of the massive amount of revenue they could generate from transport-related calls during the Olympics?

TfL may well have considered the cost of enhancing their telephone service and providing extra capacity to cope with the increased demand and need for higher quality during the Olympics and chosen an option that places a lesser burden on London taxpayers. That option may well have been presented to TfL by a telecoms system supplier keen to win the business for the new system. Many London taxpayers are very keen to keep the cost of staging the Olympics down.

If there is any truth in this suggestion, then who is being cynical?

IP Logged

catj

Reply #25 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:26am

So far there is no other mention of the new number other than here and on Money Saving Expert.

Keep an eye on:   http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=%220843+222+1234%22

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:54am

catj wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 10:26am:
So far there is no other mention of the new number other than here and on Money Saving Expert.

Keep an eye on:   http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=%220843+222+1234%22

The article in the Standard, with quotes from various bodies, should provide sufficient evidence, in the public domain, of what is currently planned.

Some campaigners aim to prevent changes like this from happening. Others prefer to wait until it happens so that they can be justified in complaining about it, as an example of how awful the world is. I will be very happy if the Google search referred to never produces any meaningful results. It appears that again I may be in a minority amongst members of this forum.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #27 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:46am

I am not sure why you think my statement disagrees with yours.

So far, the number has not been publicised by TfL on the web. Keep an eye on that search for the first indications of any mention so that swift action can be taken in complaining about it. However, do also complain about it before it happens because scrapping the 020 number would be a stupid move.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:47am by catj »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #28 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 12:45pm

catj wrote on Dec 2nd, 2009 at 11:46am:
I am not sure why you think my statement disagrees with yours.

I am not a consumerist. In my campaigning activities on this and other issues, I do not deal in "complaints".

Consumers who feel that the service they have received from TfL, their GP or a JobCentre has not delivered good value for money are entitled to complain about it and seek personal redress. Equally they may seek to get better value for money by finding an alternative telephone number on SayNoTo0870 or obtaining a better deal for their telephone service. There are many campaigners fighting hard on these issues. For a variety of reasons, I am not amongst them.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2009 at 8:44pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:19pm

irrelevant wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:13pm:
But as you know, there is nothing that can be done on an 08* that cannot be done on an 020 number.. and surely the cost of changing every bus stop and tube map and publicity item in London would be pretty significant..

Not wishing to defend the use of rip-off numbers, but I have to say I doubt changing those places you mention to reflect the new numbers will cost that much. Signs and maps are replaced all the time. They release new versions of the maps several times every year, for example for the new Circle Line service starting next week. All the posters at tube stations will have to be changed anyway. It'll be interesting to see if the new number is on them!

Although I travel to London fairly frequently, I've never seen the need to call any phone number (likewise for National Rail enquiries). It's claimed it costs 40p from mobiles, but show me a mobile nowadays that can't access the web or at least WAP. There's no point making a phone call just to use an automated system (not that the call operatives on this sort of phoneline usually provide much more help than a machine anyway). Perhaps there should be a new campaign site to teach people how to use their mobile phone properly to find information instead of dialling rip-off numbers.

If it's between charging people to call the phoneline or increasing my London transport costs, I'm afraid I'm for the former. They should be honest and make it an 09 premium rate number, though, not a covert 0843 number so that most people won't have a clue of the cost.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2009 at 7:21pm by jrawle »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge