Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bit of help required with Rochdale Council (Read 11,220 times)
PennineAcute

Bit of help required with Rochdale Council
Jan 29th, 2010 at 5:09pm

I have recently been in touch with them and have sort of had a hit my head against a brick wall session with them.

Basically all their departments have an 0845 number instead of Geographical 01706 number.  When I queried this, they said it was so they could route the numbers so no one got an engaged tone.  They also said it was the cost of a local call, lol.  My reply was it I ring an 01706 number on my landline or my mobile it does not cost me anything - if I ring an 0845  it does, please explain.  The guy could not.

I have also mentioned the 0300 numbers to them - they just seemed oh what are they.

Any one like to inform me of my next step please.  Our council are like most anyway - so if anyone has come across this before would love to hear from you.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Bit of help required with Rochdale Council
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 12:41am

Hi and welcome to SAYNOTO0870.COM.

I would write to your elected members (or at least copy them in). Some links/information for you:
  • Trading Standards Institute Article 180805:
    http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/detail.aspx?ref=180805&da...

Quote:
    You should not use the terms 'local rate' or 'national rate', or any reference to local or national rates. You should also not use words which could imply a local or national rate (e.g. 'Lo-call', 'low rate', 'national call', 'standard rate').
  • Central Office of Information (COI) Better practice guidancefor government contact centres (Third edition):
    Quote:
    3.60  0844 and 0845 are still appropriate tariffs, but it should be noted that they can be charged at up to 5p per minute (from BT lines) and that this may be seen as a barrier by some individuals, so migration to the new 03 numbers may be considered. Revenue share on 0844 and 0845 numbers is possible, but should be avoided by public sector bodies to avoid criticism. Ofcom will be reviewing 0845 again in a couple of years (at which point revenue share may be prohibited). 0844 and 0845 tariffs should never be referred to as ‘local rate’ in any publicity or by agents.
  • Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) Adjudication
    Quote:
    We therefore considered that describing calls to 0845 numbers as local rate was not only inaccurate and meaningless to the majority of viewers, it could also mislead those who still considered 'local' as synonymous with calling a geographic number.
  • Ofcom: What are...03 numbers?

IP Logged

PennineAcute

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:43am

Appreciate that.  I will try and see what happens.  Just cheeses me off that if I have to phone the council I have to run up my phone bill.  May not be much, but pennies here and pennies there soon mount up.  I will keep in touch and let you know the next installment of the no doubt saga.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:44am by PennineAcute »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:36am

The Council's contact page says:
Quote:
Ringing 0845 numbers

Customers pay the cost of a local call when they call one of our 0845 numbers from a landline. Costs are between 3p-5p per minute depending on the service provider. In fact, from wherever you call us in the UK, you are still charged at a local rate. Charges vary by carrier when calls to an 0845 number are made from a mobile phone.

Rochdale Council, you are deriving benefit in the form of subsidies from callers. Do you really believe that providers will pay these premiums and not pass their cost back to callers? Roll Eyes ... ...

PennineAcute wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 8:43am:
Appreciate that.  I will try and see what happens.  Just cheeses me off that if I have to phone the council I have to run up my phone bill.  May not be much, but pennies here and pennies there soon mount up.  I will keep in touch and let you know the next installment of the no doubt saga.

01706 647474 is the main switchboard; have you tried asking to be put through?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:55am

I would like to add one other useful document:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/218872/numbering_clarification.pdf - The Contact Council exists to represent and serve all public sector bodies.

There is some dispute about whether the technical benefits provided by use of non-geographic even exist, and if they provide true value for money.

If they do, then the question is about where the money comes from. In this case it is either service users (who call) or Council Tax-payers who otherwise provide the funding for Council services. With 084 numbers, callers pay (indirectly) through the revenue share. With 03 numbers, there can be no premium added to the call charge, so the cost of extra features has to be met out of the Council's budget.

The issue is complicated by the fact that one telephone company (BT) is not permitted to make a profit on placing calls to 084 numbers, and so its charges can appear relatively low. This regulation does not affect other providers, who do pass on the cost of the subsidy provided through revenue sharing. This regulation should now be removed.and it will indeed be reviewed shortly.

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 10:40am

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 1:46pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 1st, 2010 at 11:55am:
I would like to add one other useful document:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/218872/numbering_clarification.pdf - The Contact Council exists to represent and serve all public sector bodies.

There is some dispute about whether the technical benefits provided by use of non-geographic even exist, and if they provide true value for money.

If they do, then the question is about where the money comes from. In this case it is either service users (who call) or Council Tax-payers who otherwise provide the funding for Council services. With 084 numbers, callers pay (indirectly) through the revenue share. With 03 numbers, there can be no premium added to the call charge, so the cost of extra features has to be met out of the Council's budget.

The issue is complicated by the fact that one telephone company (BT) is not permitted to make a profit on placing calls to 084 numbers, and so its charges can appear relatively low. This regulation does not affect other providers, who do pass on the cost of the subsidy provided through revenue sharing. This regulation should now be removed.and it will indeed be reviewed shortly.

Something wrong with that link.I get; - "This page cannot be found "

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:14pm

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2014 at 2:19pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2014 at 5:18pm

Looks like a mixture of 0845 numbers and at least one 0844

http://www.rochdale.gov.uk/the_council/contact_us/ring_or_email_us.aspx

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge