Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sunderland Royal Hospital switches to 0845 (Read 6,680 times)
Victoria_Meldrew

Cold Hard North
Sunderland Royal Hospital switches to 0845
Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:02pm

Sunderland Royal Hospital in its wisdom is currently switching from geographical to an 0845 number for "Choose and Book" appointments. This in itself is a joke as there is no choice and changing a booking is near impossible  Roll Eyes. It would be great if the urge to interfere - by some members of staff could just be curbed - but alas....

I received an appointment recently, it suited me fine - I was happy, or as happy as you can be knowing you have to see a consultant  Embarrassed. Then I received two letters in the same envelope cancelling the appointment and changing it to another consultant entirely, not because the first consultant is unavailable - but because they've decided I can be seen quicker. It doesn't bother me, why should it bother them? Angry I telephoned - luckily having kept the list of geographical departmental appointment numbers and after being cut off and re-dialling was told I would need to get a UBRN number and password from my GP and ring back on the 0845 number.

I got the details and since there was the facility to change appointments via a website I decided it would save the cost of 0845 - especially as I had tried dialling it only to get a recorded message saying they were extremely busy and there was a queue!

Perhaps I should have realised that since the hospital had changed the appointment, my UBRN number and pass word would be invalid - but certainly that's the message that came up Huh .

I rang the geog. number again, said that the UBRN and pass word were invalid and was told I'd have to ring the 0845 number as those working on appointments were unable to access the information - yeah right  Roll Eyes. They said they weren't even able to cancel the appointment if my UBRN and pass word didn't work - so I'm guessing that after waiting however long on 0845, they would probably tell me the same thing. My GP's surgery made the initial booking, so I have put the ball in their court and in the mean-time I have added the individual geographical numbers for the individual departments in the hope it helps others.

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy it immensely!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Sunderland Royal Hospital switches to 0845
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 3:47pm

“Choose and Book” is a national service for the NHS in England. It is operated by the NHS Direct NHS Trust under contract to the East of England Strategic Health Authority on behalf of all 10 SHAs.

The Sunderland Royal Hospital, the City Hospitals Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust and Sunderland Teaching Primary Care Trust would probably therefore claim that the breach of the first of the rights in the NHS Constitution, which is caused by its use of 0845 telephone numbers, is not their responsibility. I would however suggest that it could be worth a try, with reference to the Health Act 2009.

The issue is confused further by the fact that the NHS Direct NHS Trust is exempt from the terms of the Directions to NHS Bodies concerning the cost of telephone calls. This exemption could be seen as relevant to the duty to have regard to the NHS Constitution, although I would disagree.

As the East of England SHA is not exempt from the terms of the Directions, I will, in due course, be attacking this line to get at NHS Direct.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone who wishes to pursue this matter. It may help in avoiding frustrating responses!

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:30pm

Victoria_Meldrew wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:02pm:
I rang the geog. number again, said that the UBRN and pass word were invalid and was told I'd have to ring the 0845 number as those working on appointments were unable to access the information - yeah right  Roll Eyes. They said they weren't even able to cancel the appointment if my UBRN and pass word didn't work - so I'm guessing that after waiting however long on 0845, they would probably tell me the same thing. My GP's surgery made the initial booking, so I have put the ball in their court and in the mean-time I have added the individual geographical numbers for the individual departments in the hope it helps others.

This an appalling tale of mismanagement, misdirection and ultimately attermpted rip-off of NHS patients.   You have been very badly served by this unhelpful, obstructive and costly new system.   SCV is absolutely right of course that "Choose and Book" is operated by NHS Direct.    Doesn't sound like you were given much opportunity to "Choose".   You have good reason to complain.

I suggest you write to the Chief Executive of the Sunderland Hospital or Trust complaining about the "Choose and Book" system and especially about the use of a rip-off premium rate number.    Complain that they are contravening the Statement made by Health Minister Mike O'Brien in September 2009 and the Directions issued by the Department of Health in December 2009 which directed that all parts of the NHS including Hospitals and NHS Trusts must ensure that no patient has to pay more than the cost of an equivalent geographic number when contacting the NHS.  Point out that 0845 numbers cost you much more than a normal geographic number.    

I suggest that you copy your local Councillors, your MP and local press asking them to look into this matter and ask that they do something to get it corrected.   You could also write to the Minister with your complaint.  
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:31pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 7:37pm

Victoria_Meldrew wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:02pm:
I received an appointment recently, it suited me fine - I was happy, or as happy as you can be knowing you have to see a consultant  Embarrassed. Then I received two letters in the same envelope cancelling the appointment and changing it to another consultant entirely, not because the first consultant is unavailable - but because they've decided I can be seen quicker. It doesn't bother me, why should it bother them?

They are required to eliminate or shorten waiting times as much as possible and have to meet various performance targets, as far as I know, so this isn't really surprising.   They are trying to do their best for you, and usually the sooner someone is seen by a consultant the better.   So I don't think it would be appropriate to grumble about this aspect.

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Victoria_Meldrew

Cold Hard North
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:53pm

Thank you all for the very useful replies, I will indeed take on board what you say and write to the bodies concerned.

Loddon - Just to clear up the matter of them moving the appointment forward, I should have explained further and for this I do apologise.

When my GP arranged the original appointment, my only stipulation was that I should see a female consultant Embarrassed and the first appointment received was indeed as hoped for. Alas when the second appointment arrived the consultant had been changed to a "Mr" Undecided. In their efforts to shorten waiting times from 8th March to 17th February Lips Sealed, they have - albeit inadvertently, no doubt added to the overall time I will wait, whilst they sort out this unfortunate situation Roll Eyes.

Once again - apologies that I didn't make this clearer and thank you for your time and patience.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2010 at 2:54pm by Victoria_Meldrew »  

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy it immensely!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge