Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lancashire County Council (Read 30,724 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Lancashire County Council
Feb 24th, 2010 at 11:57pm

Source: Lancashire County Council

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/news/press_releases/y/m/release.asp?id=20...

Quote:
News : Help Direct: new telephone number and Well-being Directory online

Tuesday, 12th January 2010
(PR10/0024)

Help Direct, Lancashire County Council's pioneering scheme that provides people with practical information and support, is introducing two important changes to the service that will make it easier for customers to get in touch.

Firstly, Help Direct has a new, low-cost telephone number. All of Lancashire's local Help Direct teams can now be contacted on 0303 333 1111. Customers calling from a landline phone will automatically be directed to their local office. People calling from a mobile will be asked to choose their locality from a short list.

[…]

Lancashire County Council now has its first 03 number, so when will it change the various 0845 numbers for different enquiry types?
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:38pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Lancashire County Council: Help Direct 0303 nu
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 12:25pm

Dave, just clicking on ur link, I noticed at the bottom of the page there is a section with NON 0845 numbers listed....

Contact numbers by location:
0845 053 0000 /01772 221600      Main contact number
0845 053 0011 /      01772 221611      Highways
0845 053 0049 /      01772 221649      Blue Badge applications
0845 053 0009 /      01772 221609      Social care
0845 053 0021 /      01772 221621      Registrar of births, marriages and deaths
0845 053 0040 /      01772 221640      Safer travel
0845 053 0008 /      01772 538888      Corporate vacancies
0845 053 0028 /      01772 221628      Safeguarding adults
0845 602 1043 /      01772 536700      Social care emergency duty team
0800 328 1635 /      01772 883453      Road safety publicity and education
0800 195 1273 / 01772 221204      School crossing patrols

Seems the are learning....

Regards,

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 12:31pm

CJT-80 wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 12:25pm:
Dave, just clicking on ur link, I noticed at the bottom of the page there is a section with NON 0845 numbers listed....

[…]

Seems the are learning....

Yes, I've seen that. That's what I thought; it does tend to suggest that they realise that 0845 isn't the low-cost number (relative to geographic numbers) it once was.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Dave wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 12:31pm:
they realise that 0845 isn't the low-cost number (relative to geographic numbers) it once was.

This is actually close to a model example. They retain the 0845 numbers for the benefit of out of call plan BT callers who would find them cheaper and even offer geo alternatives for the 0800 numbers.

There are two 0845 numbers without alternatives. This could be because they are subject to smart routing and so no single alternative could be offered. Each one is however accompanied by a goodish (although far from perfect) price declaration.

I would nominate the Council for a "we saynoto0870 - but we say Yes to You" award, with the proviso that new 03 numbers to supplement or replace the 0845 numbers without alternatives are needed immediately.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:17pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 25th, 2010 at 4:13pm:
I would nominate the Council for a "we saynoto0870 - but we say Yes to You" award, with the proviso that new 03 numbers to supplement or replace the 0845 numbers without alternatives are needed immediately.

A couple of weeks ago I notified LCC about a large pothole, emails back giving 0845 as "local rate" where answered by me informing them they are wrong and breaking the law, I also supplied links to ASA,TS and Ofcom, I also informed them and supplied links re 03 numbers and informed them that all the "facilities" they enjoy on 0845 can be enjoyed on 01/02/03 numbers.

Now I am not saying they took note, because they never replied to my email with the links, but I have had email and phone conversations with various people at LCC over the years re 0845 numbers, so maybe they are starting to realise, however, as the email quoted below is dated10-02-10, don't count your chickens just yet.

Contents of one of the emails from them;- ( I never suggested 0800 to them at any time)

"Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The County Council’s stance on the use of 0845 numbers is as follows: -

The decision to originally go with the 0845 range of numbers was due to the fact that this is geographically neutral regardless of where you live in Lancashire and wherever our Customer Service Centre is located within Lancashire.

In addition, the idea of a 'single, memorable number' was also deemed to be a requirement of the
County Council members.

The advance of the use of mobiles and the plethora of tariffs now available for these mobiles particularly for local STD code areas has really challenged this requirement.

Lancashire covers a wide geographic area and there are actually 10 STD codes covering the geographic area. The mobile phone tariffs charge for calls to 0845 and 0800 numbers, so even if it was financially viable to offer a free phone 0800 number it would not be advantageous to an increasing number of mobile phone users.

Regards

Lancashire County Council Customer Service Centre

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2010 at 2:06pm

derrick wrote on Feb 26th, 2010 at 12:17pm:
I am not saying they took note, because they never replied to my email ... don't count your chickens just yet.

Heroic campaigning efforts are generally only seen in the achievement of the objective. Few of us actually offer direct public thanks to those who pointed out that we were wrong and set us on the right track.

It takes the collective mind of a large organisation a long time to catch up with changes in the world. LCC may well be representing the mistaken understanding of many of those whom it serves in believing that there is still generally a distinct local rate for telephone calls, even though it recognises the fact that mobile charges are different from landlines. It probably thinks that the alternative geo numbers are only for the benefit of mobile callers and for use by those in the same "STD code" area.

I would suggest that with the desired result achieved in respect of many cases safely hatched (even if the reasoning is perhaps unsound) attention should be focused on what appears to be two eggs with shells that bear proper labelling, but show no sign of cracks. Could we see the chicks (alternative 03 numbers) by Easter?
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2010 at 2:07pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Lancashire County Council Concern Over 0845 number
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:13pm

"At a cabinet meeting last week, concerns were raised that a new 0845 number to be introduced as part of the scheme would be ‘restrictive’, with some telephone networks giving charges.

County Coun Ciaren Wells said: “I imagine some of the people attracting this fund will be those with a mobile phone, not a landline, and I wonder if this 0845 number could be restrictive."

Full Details here :http://www.lep.co.uk/community/community-will-need-to-plug-crisis-loan-gap-1-529...
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:16pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Lancashire County Council Concern Over 0845 number
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:45pm

bigjohn wrote on Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:13pm:
"At a cabinet meeting last week, concerns were raised that a new 0845 number to be introduced as part of the scheme would be ‘restrictive’, with some telephone networks giving charges.

County Coun Ciaren Wells said: “I imagine some of the people attracting this fund will be those with a mobile phone, not a landline, and I wonder if this 0845 number could be restrictive."

Full Details here :http://www.lep.co.uk/community/community-will-need-to-plug-crisis-loan-gap-1-529...

I have joined this posting to the thread that is already running on Lancashire County Council.

It introduced Help Direct three years ago and it uses a 0303 number.

Quote:
Help Direct can help you get the most out of life in the following areas:
  • Health and fitness
  • Home and Garden
  • Feeling safe in your home and community
  • Learning and leisure
  • Managing finances
  • Mobility and transport
  • Community groups and involvement
  • Getting the right help and support
  • Relationships and families
  • Employment, volunteering and training

Yet it continues with its plethora of 0845 numbers that were introduced (see reply #4 above) because there are 10 STD codes across the County and so not to cause anyone who was calling from further away to have to pay more. It is almost six years since 03 numbers were introduced which are non-geographic (like 0845) and don't cost more from any mode of telephone service but Lancashire County Council does not consider it necessary to change numbers.

It is expected that it will soon have to inform taxpayers that ringing up will incur a 2 pence per minute Service Charge, or else mend its ways.

Is it me or does it seem like the vast majority of 084 number users don't wish to be open about the benefit they derive and that it is only campaigners who want clarity as well as the "neutral" alternative, 03 numbers?

Clearly the public can be forgiven for thinking that this is all deliberate to rip them off.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2013 at 6:54pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

catj

Re: Lancashire County Council
Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 12:43am

It's not you, it's the whole industry.

Many of the sellers of these numbers aren't particularly upfront about how the whole deal works, end to end.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:23am

Some good news they will be switching to 0300 numbers from 0845 by the 1/4/14

See: http://www.lep.co.uk/news/business/call-costs-to-change-1-6345992
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:24am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 9:57am

bigjohn wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 6:23am:
Some good news they will be switching to 0300 numbers from 0845 by the 1/4/14

See: http://www.lep.co.uk/news/business/call-costs-to-change-1-6345992

Well it is about time, they have known these are rip off numbers for around 4 years,(date of this thread),yet they still want to ring out another 3 months using 0845, the switch could happen in days, they don't have to wait months!

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:41am

derrick wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 9:57am:
Well it is about time, they have known these are rip off numbers for around 4 years,(date of this thread),yet they still want to ring out another 3 months using 0845, the switch could happen in days, they don't have to wait months!

What a great idea! They should change all the numbers with just a few days or less notice, with no time to get it mentioned in monthly publications, nor added to bills and reminders, not even notified to council in the end of January meeting.

Surely if there was an evil plan to wring out as much money as possible, they would delay the switch until 12th June 2014, the day before the Consumer Rights Directive legislation hits businesses using 084, 087 and 09 numbers?

Lancashire Evening Post were slow to catch on to the story. Lancashire Telegraph covered it two weeks earlier: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10892531.Lancashire_Council_makes_move...

You'll notice they are not changing from 0845 to 0345. They are changing to 0300. It may well be that their contract is expiring, or they are changing supplier.

The decision to change the numbers was made more than a month ago: http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=32027 Once it has been discussed by the full council and a publicity timetable agreed, work will commence.

The numbers will be changing in February and March, to be completed by the end of March. It's possible that many of them will change in the first week or two. The timetable will be known in a few weeks time.

Here's an organisation that is making the change and you're still moaning! Why is this not celebrated as another success?

The fact that Lancashire CC is changing their numbers should be used as a tool to beat up Devon CC, Hampshire CC, and many others around the country that show no signs of dropping their 0845 usage. Likewise, Shropshire and Fife took forever to get the job done, but they should now be used as examples of current good practice.

I know of one council that will not be changing their numbers for very many months. They are due to relocate to new buildings, at which point various departments will be re-organised. The number change will happen at the same time as the move.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2014 at 3:44pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Jan 13th, 2014 at 12:24pm

Ian G wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 10:41am:
derrick wrote on Jan 11th, 2014 at 9:57am:

What a great idea! They should change all the numbers with just a few days or less notice, with no time to get it mentioned in monthly publications, nor added to bills and reminders, not even notified to council in the end of January meeting.

Surely if there was an evil plan to wring out as much money as possible, they would delay the switch until 12th June 2014, the day before the Consumer Rights Directive legislation hits businesses using 084, 087 and 09 numbers?

Lancashire Evening Post were slow to catch on to the story. Lancashire Telegraph covered it two weeks earlier: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/10892531.Lancashire_Council_makes_move...

You'll notice they are not changing from 0845 to 0345. They are changing to 0300. It may well be that their contract is expiring, or they are changing supplier.

The decision to change the numbers was made more than a month ago: http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=32027 Once it has been discussed by the full council and a publicity timetable agreed, work will commence.

The numbers will be changing in February and March, to be completed by the end of March. It's possible that many of them will change in the first week or two. The timetable will be known in a few weeks time.

Here's an organisation that is making the change and you're still moaning! Why is this not celebrated as another success?

The fact that Lancashire CC is changing their numbers should be used as a tool to beat up Devon CC, Hampshire CC, and many others around the country that show no signs of dropping their 0845 usage. Likewise, Shropshire and Fife took forever to get the job done, but they should now be used as examples of current good practice.

I know of one council that will not be changing their numbers for very many months. They are due to relocate to new buildings, at which point various departments will be re-organised. The number change will happen at the same time as the move.

As I put in my post,"they have known these are rip off numbers for around 4 years,(date of this thread)",so have had plenty of time to change! Yes they are being compelled to change by June so lets have a big hurray,(not), for them changing 2 months earlier than forced to do so!

The moan is in relation to how long it is taking them,(in excess of 4 years), and only because of compulsion, so no cigars here! No reason they can't start using the 03 number now alongside the 0845, maybe a message on answering that the better number will be the 03 number!

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2014 at 12:25pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge