Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Public Transport and Mobile phones. (Read 6,108 times)
Andrew_S_Hatton

Maldon, Essex, England
Public Transport and Mobile phones.
Mar 31st, 2010 at 8:00pm

Because of the high need to call Public Transport enquiry numbers like Traveline whilst on the move, they should all over a geographical number in their listings and this needs Government regulation.

This may have been discussed before although I am not aware of the current status of my concern here or with OFCOM or whoever the regulator is now.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Public Transport and Mobile phones.
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 8:57pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 8:00pm:
Because of the high need to call Public Transport enquiry numbers like Traveline whilst on the move, they should all over a geographical number in their listings and this needs Government regulation.

This may have been discussed before although I am not aware of the current status of my concern here or with OFCOM or whoever the regulator is now.

Another well made point - you are well on the road to "expert" status in the forum. Please do not be put off when senior members add comments. THe forum is for us all to raise issues and to exchange views and information.

Most would agree that numbers for Public Transport information should not involve any premium charge. Those who would otherwise have to pick up the cost of whatever telephone network features are used might disagree. This was recently discussed with reference to Transport for London.

(On a point mentioned elsewhere I recently enquired of TfL about local overground train services between South Acton and West Hampstead. After a journey time of over 4 hours had been suggested for about 6 stops, the local agent and I had to laugh at his mistaken assumption that my start point was a major south coast port. We were both Londoners; the telephone is no respecter of location, as the root of the first part of the word implies.)

Where a number covers a wide geographic area, or the readily available flashy features are required, there could be a case for using a non-geographic number. The 03 range is there to provide exactly this facility, without any premium charge.

Central government does not fund these services, but would undoubtedly be asked to do so if it started meddling in points of detail about how they are operated. Local government is however often involved.

Ofcom has no role in telling people which facilities they should use. It may however be addressing the issue of the level of premiums charged on calls to non-geographic numbers in a consultation that may be launched in the next few months. BT alone is currently subject to regulation. Ofcom recognises that it can no longer apply this unfair constraint on BT, however it now has greater powers to limit all providers than it had previously.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:05pm

Andrew_S_Hatton wrote on Mar 31st, 2010 at 8:00pm:

Indeed.

The national Traveline number switched from 0870 to 0871 in order to continue to levying a premium on callers when it became clear that premiums would be killed off on 0870 numbers. The 0871 number merely puts calls through to the caller's local public transport information service.

In some areas, the 0871 number itself is publicised on bus stops and the like and in others, geographic numbers of respective services are displayed (although they can be accessed via the 0871 number as well). For example, in South Yorkshire, the number 01709 515151 is widely publicised.

The premium numbers are just limited to voice calls. Mobile text (SMS) services exist that use premium numbers which give times of buses. Passengers can text a number with a serial number of the bus stop to be provided with live timetable/departure information.

However, a sadly little publicised alternative is to go to the WAP site  Wink

National Rail operates a similar WAP site, and again, it would rather push the Premium Rate 0871 TrainTracker service.

The long and short of it is that premium avenues are publicised in favour of cheaper and perhaps easier access ways of accessing public travel information.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010 at 11:12pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 9:40pm

Dave in relation to "National Rail operates a similar WAP site, and again, it would rather push the Premium Rate 0871 TrainTracker service. " Traintracker can be accessed via 08457 48 49 50 - NR's mainly advertisted number, via their IVR Menu. However they are another department that needs to change their number over to an 03457 Number...

I wonder who best to contact regarding that?

Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2010 at 9:40pm by CJT-80 »  

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge