Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers banned (Read 173,171 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: Surgeries saying no to 0844!
Reply #105 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:47pm

Yes I agree with Dave. I can assure you that the sky is green. It doesn't make it a fact and it is wrong.

When specifically asked about mobiles she said:

"It is absolutely clear that there is no distinction between landlines, mobiles or payphones. The directions are very clear that patients should not expect to be charged any more. "

How clearer does anyone want it. And they do cost more.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #106 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:01pm

Just phone Surrey PCT and they still think they comply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: GP contract revised - "expensive" numbers bann
Reply #107 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:05pm

Keith wrote on Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:01pm:
Just phone Surrey PCT and they still think they comply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to this list, Surrey PCT has 20 surgeries with 084 numbers!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2011 at 11:59pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #108 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Thank you all, I just felt the statement could be ambiguous.  However, there is still no clear statement about what instructions have been given to the DOH to deal with those NHS bodies which have not complied or refuse to comply with the directives and giving directives with no published and enforced penalty for non-compliance is not a lot of help.  I would have thought the DOH has had it brought to its attention quite clearly and from many sources the truth of the situation and that many NHS bodies are in breach of the directive and that the time to act on this has well & truly arrived.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #109 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 6:21am

The Department of Health has now made it absolutely clear from the floor of the House of Commons that the ban applies to all numbers that cost more than the cost of an equivalent call to a geographic number, whether called from a landline, mobile or payphone.

This may represent news to some PCTs, who will have received assurances from their practices such as that widely circulated, a copy of which is published here -
Quote:
some telecoms providers (e.g. NEG) “have chosen to charge no more for an 084 call than a call to a geographic number when dialing from a fixed line”
Having held many meetings with the Department of Health over the past year, we understand that the Department of Health would be happy for an NHS body such as yours to get this reassurance in the form of this letter from NEG to you confirming that the cost of calls via the Surgery Line solution is no higher.
The Department accepted our evidence, which led to them confirming in their response  that: “Some providers have chosen to charge no more for a 084 call than a call to a geographic number when dialing from a fixed line.”
You can be confident, therefore, that your decision to continue to deliver excellent services for your patients using NEG Surgery Line has the full support of the Department of Health and the British Medical Association.

Up until now the Department of Health has never taken the trouble to point out that any reference to the cost of calling "from a fixed line" was not as significant as suggested by the preceding quotation. (This comment was with reference to some telephone call service providers, not system providers such as NEG, anyway). It has never confirmed its support for any particular system, nor indeed of any system being funded by use of a revenue sharing number. It has always stuck to the terms of the regulations as drafted, making it plain that it is these terms which PCTs are expected to enforce on GPs.

It is widely acknowledged that the cost of calling 084 numbers from a mobile is greater than that of calling geographic numbers. A variety of reasons have been advanced to suggest that this fact does not make use of 084 numbers fall outside the terms of the regulations. This argument is now firmly quashed by referring to the answer given on Tuesday.

In respect of payphones, there can be no dispute whatsoever.

There is some doubt about whether Andrew Love received the assurance sought by asking -
Quote:
Can the Minister assure us that the clear advice she is giving here today will be distributed around the health service, so that we can put an end to this?

The recording of the exchanges shows that the Minister began her response with the single word sentence "Yes." This (and the phrase which followed) is commonly used in parliament to acknowledge a well made point before responding to it, and was therefore excluded from the Official Record (Hansard). In response to a direct closed question however it may fairly be taken as an affirmative reply.

Efforts to ensure that the Department writes to all PCT Chief Executives, regardless of whether or not such an assurance was given, are underway. Members may wish to press their own MP to join in these efforts.

PCTs have a degree of autonomy and the Department has long been reluctant to "micro-manage" their activities. They do however all lean very heavily on what they understand to be the position of the DH, especially if this helps them avoid having to take difficult action. A clear statement, in the form of a letter, simply repeating what was said in the house, would make it far more difficult for them to avoid taking action against GPs in breach.

The relationship between the Department of Health and NHS bodies is complex and undergoing change. Suffice to say that one may be happily surprised by the strength and clarity of the comments made on Tuesday! There are other ways of ensuring that PCTs comply with their duties, rather than seeking for the DH to intervene.

Whether or not the DH writes to PCTs, they can also be pressured by patients, MPs and local media - all of whom now have a clear reference in Hansard to indicate that they may be contradicting the explicit directions of the Government, as confirmed to the Parliament to which it is accountable. There are further formal options.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:19am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #110 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 12:08pm

Hi, I have a request which I appreciate might be difficult or impossible to grant but it relates to the multiple threads on the use by NHS bodies, both GPs & hospitals etc, using 084X telephone numbers.   I am finding it increasingly difficult to remember in which thread particular posts appear when I am making reference eg in emails, complaints, particularly if the posts were made more than a couple of days ago.  I don't know if other people are also finding this difficult but it would be really helpful if certain aspects of the various threads could be merged and posts about other, similar, and equally important NHS related issues be separated, possibly the threads would need renaming.  I know this would be a mammoth task but we do seem to be making progress on this aspect so it would be worthwhile I think as it would be a great pity if people missed a relevant point which would have strengthened their argument just because it was in a different thread.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #111 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 2:16pm

Barbara wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 12:08pm:
... multiple threads on the use by NHS bodies, both GPs & hospitals etc, using 084X telephone numbers ...

I share Barbara's concern and suggest that we should collectively accept some principles of good practice when choosing where to add a comment.

It is inevitable that related points will be raised in discussion - we need not feel excessively bound by the topic of the thread, although we should respect it.

Once a separate matter has turned into a discussion on that point alone, I would suggest that a new thread be started (or an existing thread be re-opened) with a forward linking posting added to the thread from which the discussion diverged. Earlier comments from the other thread where the point was raised could be quoted in the thread relevant to the "break -off" topic.

From a quick inspection of the general area to which this thread is central, I believe that we have reasonably well defined streams in which to make comments. News announcements without comment, which for me represent too large a proportion of the material in this "discussion" forum (although I know that others would disagree) may well apply to more than one thread. Given that the threads are properly focussed on specific issues, I see no reason why a brief "cross reference" posting could not be made in those threads of secondary relevance, whilst the main comment is made in the most appropriate thread.

I believe that most members are sufficiently competent with yabb syntax to handle a "quote". Some well written tips on how to prepare a "cross reference / link" posting would perhaps be helpful.

My previous posting to this thread (example of cross reference posting) highlighted one case where I believe that thread discipline has broken down. The other notable case (in which I am as guilty as anyone else) is an extensive discussion of car parking charges in a thread about Hospitals using 0844 numbers.

(I acknowledge that this contribution could perhaps have been best placed in the "Site related" section of the forum. On balance I believe that it has sufficient particular relevance to the topic covered in this thread to remain here. Should the discussion open up to cover wider points, then I would take a different view.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #112 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:04am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 2:16pm:
Barbara wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 12:08pm:
... multiple threads on the use by NHS bodies, both GPs & hospitals etc, using 084X telephone numbers ...

I share Barbara's concern and suggest that we should collectively accept some principles of good practice when choosing where to add a comment.

I have moved over the postings to this thread from the Surgeries saying no to 0844 thread that are one the recent discussion in parliament.

Perhaps some posts need amending. For example, SCV has given a hyperlink referring to the posting I made in the other thread which has now been moved to this thread.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #113 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:56am

Dave wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:04am:
I have moved over the postings to this thread from the Surgeries saying no to 0844 thread that are one the recent discussion in parliament.

Perhaps some posts need amending. For example, SCV has given a hyperlink referring to the posting I made in the other thread which has now been moved to this thread.

I have indeed now removed all references to the comments in what I saw as being the wrong thread from my earlier posting

I quote below the point I made about the fact that Tuesday's announcement does not itself mean that Surgeries are saying No to 0844. It no longer belongs in the earlier posting, but I want it retained in the discussion.

Quote:
Only when NEG and the BMA recognise that their battle to enable GPs to be funded by patients is lost, and start to work with GPs to deliver the best service they can to patients UNDER THE TERMS OF THE NHS, could it be relevant to refer to Tuesday's announcement in the other thread. We are still dealing with the enforcement of the contract revision, against those who have not yet "said no".

I have also removed the references to the action that was being taken with respect to consideration of amendment to the Official Record. This has now been swiftly resolved. I expect to be to shortly posting again including quotations from an accurate (updated) Hansard.

Purely for the sake of an historical record - my original comment said:
Quote:
(Officials are looking to see if a correction is necessary. The replacement of "do it" with the reasonable and intentionally helpful, but strictly inaccurate, "charge more" is also being investigated - we do not want to return to arguments that the regulations only apply to those telephone call charges which GPs can control, because there are none.)

The Minister has confirmed that there was no commitment made to write to PCTs, so the omission of the courtesy preamble stands. This does not mean that pressure from MPs and other sources may not cause the Department to write to PCTs; it may choose to do so itself. All that is missing is the "assurance" that was sought.

For news on the other point - watch this space, with an eye on the last two words of the first sentence of the penultimate line of this posting. I am not exactly sure when the on-line Hansard source will be changed and if this correction will be reflected on TheyWorkForYou. It will be splendid to be able to quote the full exchanges from Hansard without any fear of confusion being re-introduced.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #114 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 3:01am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:56am:
For news on the other point - watch this space, with an eye on the last two words of the first sentence of the penultimate line of this posting. I am not exactly sure when the on-line Hansard source will be changed and if this correction will be reflected on TheyWorkForYou. It will be splendid to be able to quote the full exchanges from Hansard without any fear of confusion being re-introduced.

I am delighted to report that the Official record (Hansard) of the exchanges on Tuesday now differs from that version shown on TheyWorkForYou as accurately reported below:

Dave wrote on Jul 13th, 2011 at 9:18am:
The Health Question and follow-up questions yesterday have been published in Hansard:

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2011-07-12a.149.4

Anne Milton: The Department is very clear, and the general medical services contract makes it very clear, that GPs are not allowed to charge more. ...

From 0800 on Friday morning the Hansard version of this sentence, in this section has read:

Quote:
Anne Milton: The Department is very clear, and the general medical services contract makes it very clear, that GPs are not allowed to do it. ...

Thanks are due to the personal private secretary to Anne Milton who requested and authorised this correction.

We are now able to quote Hansard without getting into arguments about the requirements being limited to those call charges which GPs can control - not that there are any, but this is one of the silly arguments that have been advanced as the basis for excluding consideration of calls from mobiles.

The major effort must now be to persuade the Department of Health of the need to write to all PCT Chief Executives to simply repeat what was said in the house, so that their state of confusion can be ended. This is most effectively done by MPs, who would normally be expected to respond swiftly if a fair case were presented by a constituent.

To assist in the presentation of representations to MPs I have now published a summary of the total number of cases of GPs in breach of their contract by English Parliamentary Constituency. For each MP there is a hyperlink to the list of cases in my database - all based on NHS Choices.

This is the list of MPs. With government and opposition front bench positions shown on the list it makes entertaining reading. There are a number of prominent government and shadow ministers in the top 30. As with all of my published material, all are free to use it in their campaigning efforts.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
The man behind GPs' rip-off numbers on TV tonight
Reply #115 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 4:48pm

One of the main suppliers of GP phone systems with 084 numbers is Network Europe Group (NEG) with its Surgery Line system. It is now part of Daisy Group and its founder and chief executive, Matthew Riley, will be making his TV debut this evening during the final of The Apprentice which starts at 21:00 on BBC One. He is one of people Lord Sugar has called upon to grill the final four candidates.

BBC News: Nelson businessman Matthew Riley grills Apprentice finalists
Lancashire Telegraph: Nelson entrepreneur to interview Apprentice finalists tonight
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011 at 6:09pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #116 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:55am

Dave  - the post above yours from SCV - the link near the bottom shown as
This is the List of MPs doesnt work only if you are running Google Chrome - and I dont want to - can anything be done to make it available to all   Wink Grin

Thanks

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #117 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:40am

speedy wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:55am:
This is the List of MPs doesnt work only if you are running Google Chrome - and I dont want to - can anything be done to make it available to all   Wink Grin

It works for me in Firefox but not Internet Explorer 8 which says "We're sorry. The publishing options given are not valid. Please check the options and try again."

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #118 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 10:15am

Dave wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 9:40am:
speedy wrote on Jul 18th, 2011 at 4:55am:

It works for me in Firefox but not Internet Explorer 8 which says "We're sorry. The publishing options given are not valid. Please check the options and try again."

Very sorry about this folks. There is a glitch somewhere, which gives the error message under some circumstances but not others. It is NOT A BROWSER ISSUE - I have had both successes and failures with the same URL on the same Browser.

I am working on it and hope to come back with good news soon. In the meantime, I am testing another way of rendering Google Spreadsheets, which could work more effectively, although it is actually far more complex.

I would be interested in feedback on whether this link works for people. The url is simpler, although the presentation is not quite as good and it probably involves a lot more work to maintain.

N.B. Until we have something known to be working to release to the world, it may be better to pass feedback to me through PM or email, rather than cluttering up this thread with technical discussion about a particular website.

I would be grateful for any technical tips on why html rendering of Google Spreadsheets behaves like this and what remedies there may be from any guru or lucky tester who has found a pattern.

Many thanks to all for their input so far.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #119 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 9:21am

loddon wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 11:32pm:
In today's Wokingham Times :----

Premium rate numbers to call the doctor

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/2093141_premium_rate_numbers_to_call_the_do...

Patients calling some Wokingham GP surgeries are being forced to dial premium-rate phone numbers to book an appointment. .......
Campaigners have been battling against the use of premium-rate numbers by GPs since 2009, saying they are unfair to patients .......

Further to this article, another has been published:

Anger as surgery keeps premium rate number

Local campaigners point out that the ban applies to all modes of telecommunications, yet the PCT claims it has been told by the DH that the only comparison is the "local BT rate".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge