Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
State Pension (Read 6,612 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

State Pension
Jun 15th, 2010 at 11:52am

About three months before folk approach state pension age, they will get a letter and a pamphlet telling them how to claim. You have to claim by telephone and it takes between 12 and 20 minutes.

The number on the letter is 0845 30 01 084

The number on the pamphlet is 0800 731 7898

I can confirm/verify that the 0800 number works as I have just put in my claim. It was a very easy process but you have to have all your information to hand which they tell you in the letter what they will be asking for.

Just a bit of information, they no longer pay weekly but every four weeks, (13 times a year) for new claims.

It was all very efficient.

Hope this will be of help.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: State Pension
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 3:59pm

Some further information, which should apply to all DWP agencies. I hope anyone who finds that this is untrue will report it here LOUDLY.

We are assured that the 0800 number is free to call from mobile phones. This is due to a unique commercial arrangement between DWP and the mobile companies (it is not a goodwill gesture by the latter). The DWP intends that 0800 numbers are invariably used for lengthy initial claims.

The 0845 numbers should be only for subsequent enquiries. We are assured that mobile callers will be offered a return call as soon as they get through to an agent. Others who mention that the call is expensive for them should also be offered a call back.

This is not anything like good enough.

Some might say that all calls should be "free to caller". I would argue that all calls to DWP agencies should certainly be free of a surcharge to the benefit of the taxpayer.

Virginmedia landline customers pay 10p + 10p per minute to call a 0845 number. A mobile caller could well have paid over a pound before they even get to speak to an agent. BT customers may be numerous, but they are the exception!

We must say well done for addressing the 0800 situation. We wait for the new government to take the next step, by migrating all the 084s to 03.

Congratulations to Sherbert on reaching this stage of life. Many good wishes for it to be both lengthy and happy.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: State Pension
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2010 at 4:09pm

Thank you SCV for your good wishes, much appreciated.

I forgot to say that when you get through to the 0800 number, they do say (something like) that the call is free from land lines and that calls from mobiles maybe charged. There is also a menu at the begining with various options, to claim the pension you have to press 1. Not sure what the other options are for, as obviously I did not need to hear them at this time.

One other thing they are open until eight at night, so if you did telephone the 0845 number it would be cheaper (or 'inclusive' depending on which calling plan you are on) after seven from a BT land line. (I mention BT only because that it is my provider and I know there are others!!)
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2010 at 4:37pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge