<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Giffgaff (Read 30,445 times)
Maxwell.h

Giffgaff
Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:29pm

Before i start i found this deal over on MSE.

This a sim only deal which looks good value. the part that caught my attention was the bit which says,
"Free numbers:We also believe that a free number should be just that, so all 0800 and similar numbers really are free. "  
Does anybody on this site use or give any info on this company.

http://giffgaff.com/    

Many thanks,

Maxwell.h                                                                

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2011 at 12:08am by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: Sim Only Deal
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:42pm

Is this where it mentions Free 0800 Calls?

http://giffgaff.com/index/pricing

GiffGaff are "people powered" and are a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) who use the O2 network to connect their calls.

Similar to Tesco Mobile (also use O2)

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2010 at 7:12pm

A quick review of the giffgaff website shows that they are trying a slightly different business model, one feature of which is giving away free 080 calls.

It is important to understand that giffgaff is meeting the balance of the cost of the call (through O2) over and above what the recipient is paying. This is not in any way a radical change to the arrangements for 080 calls as such, it is just another part of a very cheap package.

If the giffgaff model takes off and captures a significant share of the market, then this idea could spread. Alternatively, once a significant share of the market has been captured there is a lesser need to offer such attractive prices.

The long term future of charging for mobile services depends on what happens as a result of the reduction in the termination rates for incoming calls, which presently cover the equivalent of the "line rental" element of the cost. Once these become negligible there should be no reason why the full cost of 080 calls from mobiles could not be met by the recipient. We do however wait to see if and how the mobile companies will make up their lost revenue.

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 7:58pm

I am now a GiffGaff customer. I shall not say much just now until I get my other number ported.

Seems good to be true, and yes ive already called several 0800 numbers with 0p credit Wink

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Giffgaff
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2011 at 12:11am

Giffgaff offers Call Waiting and Call Divert, which is unusual with pay as you go services.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 2:32am

Dave wrote on Jul 3rd, 2011 at 12:11am:
Giffgaff offers Call Waiting and Call Divert, which is unusual with pay as you go services.

As do Family Mobile

http://www.familymobile.co.uk/services-overview

who also allow you to choose a number.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2011 at 2:33am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 2:36am

The fact that you can call freephone numbers for free on GG means you can get cheaper calls to certain destinations via services like http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php eg UK Landline Calls 1p a minute 5p connection.

BJ.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 3:21pm

bigjohn wrote on Aug 14th, 2011 at 2:36am:
The fact that you can call freephone numbers for free on GG means you can get cheaper calls to certain destinations via services like http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php eg UK Landline Calls 1p a minute 5p connection.

And many overseas calls (e.g. Spain) for 4p connection + 1p/minute!
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2011 at 3:22pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 3:24pm

Have they caught on to this?

I would have thought that they won't allow 'freephone' dial through numbers to be free.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Aug 14th, 2011 at 5:44pm

Dave wrote on Aug 14th, 2011 at 3:24pm:

Have they caught on to this?

I would have thought that they won't allow 'freephone' dial through numbers to be free.

They allow you to call UK freephone numbers irrespective of where they terminate.

They must be aware of the practice as its been mentioned on there forum quite a few times.

EG: http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/Cheap-Internat...
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2011 at 5:50pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Giffgaff - Lack of itemisation of calls
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 12:06am

There is a long running giffgaff thread on online usage history. This has been running for over two years now and has been "accepted". Despite this, members are still waiting.

I believe that any telephone service should offer a method of viewing call records and with the information age we live in, this should be easier than ever to accomplish. It should be mandatory for providers to make such information available to subscribers.

IP Logged

ihate0845

UK
Reply #11 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 1:59pm

giff gaff is interesting and my sister uses it, however what has put me off is they get service outages and there is no way to auto renew the package.  It then rolls onto a expensive PAYG system if forget to renew.

Once they get auto renew sorted I may switch, although I do currently have a very good deal direct with O2.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:06pm

ihate0845 wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 1:59pm:
giff gaff is interesting and my sister uses it, however what has put me off is they get service outages and there is no way to auto renew the package.  It then rolls onto a expensive PAYG system if forget to renew.

Once they get auto renew sorted I may switch, although I do currently have a very good deal direct with O2.

I have read of issues where there have been issues with giffgaff's system. It is backed by O2 which must be a plus point.

Expensive pay as you go?? 10 pence per minute would seem to be quite low for pay as you go services.

IP Logged

ihate0845

UK
Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:10pm

10p a minute is expensive.

by expensive I mean compared to packaged minutes.

giffgaff's business model seems to be to take advantage of people not renewing and hence auto switching to the more lucrative payg pricing.  its unique and I guess it works.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:20pm

ihate0845 wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:10pm:
10p a minute is expensive.

by expensive I mean compared to packaged minutes.

You said that giffgaff is an "expensive PAYG system". By definition on "pay as you go" you pay for your calls and with giffgaff you pay 10 pence per minute. Add-ons such as giffgaff "Goody Bags" are extra.

Looking around at other providers this would seem to be one of the lowest priced calls of any pay as you service. So my point stands.

ihate0845 wrote on Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:10pm:
giffgaff's business model seems to be to take advantage of people not renewing and hence auto switching to the more lucrative payg pricing.  its unique and I guess it works.

Is this any different from other pay as you go services which offer bundles that can be purchased on an occasional basis? Do others remind users?

It would seem that the sensible answer is for subscribers to set reminders on their mobile phones if they are not notified by their operator. It would be good to see operators notifying users, probably by text message.
« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2012 at 2:20pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge