Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anxiety Alliance Helpline (Read 16,132 times)
dandy

Anxiety Alliance Helpline
Jul 25th, 2010 at 11:08pm

anxiety alliance helpline previously operated from 01926 851 608, this number is now a deadline, they now use 0845 296 7877 as their only contact number for the helpline, i am unable to find an alternative landline number for this helpline. Their office number is 01926 779911, but the woman who answered the phone would not give me the landline number for this helpline when I asked, any help to get this landline number would be appreciated. I,ve looked on yell.com, and on google search without any success so far.

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2010 at 12:05am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Anxiety Alliance Helpline
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2010 at 1:36am

I'll start off with some basic background information:  Roll Eyes

1 Taylor Close
Kenilworth
Warwickshire
CV8 2LW

The website says that the helpline, 0845 296 7877, is open 10am-10pm everyday. And it says that "Calls charged at Local Rate"...  Roll Eyes

I wonder if the reason for the number change is because the helpline is operated from elsewhere. Could it be operated by volunteers that work from home? If so, perhaps it (the 0845 number) points directly to the home number(s) of the volunteer(s) who is manning the line at the time.  Undecided

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010 at 10:43am

Dave, I noted the Anxiety Alliance email address is not in the same format as the website address, this would lead me to think it's operated on a voluntary basis, and that 0845 number points to a standard home landline.

Might still be worth emailing them...

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 7:56pm

yes the anxiety alliance helpline is offering the telephone service from volunteers homes I believe, not sure how to access the landline numbers hidden behind the current 0845 number they now are offerring, if anyone can explain where the email adrress is I could try emailing to see what happens.....I,ve asked one of the volunteers if they know the landline number for the helpline, told by this particular volunteer they don,t.....any further help would be appreciated, thankyou.

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 9:16pm

just thought I,d add that when it says local rate I,ve been charged 14 pence just to call the 0845 number and get through to the answer phone...this happened over 10 x before I knew it wasn,t a proper local rate charge on my phone bill..ouch !  I,ve just found the email address and sent an email re : the charges and requesting they advertise an alternative landline number for callers on eg low incomes etc... see what they say !

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 11:33pm

dandy wrote on Aug 1st, 2010 at 9:16pm:
just thought I,d add that when it says local rate I,ve been charged 14 pence just to call the 0845 number and get through to the answer phone...this happened over 10 x before I knew it wasn,t a proper local rate charge on my phone bill..ouch ! …

May I ask where you are ringing it from? What provider and what tariff?  Huh

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Aug 2nd, 2010 at 10:25am

dandy wrote on Aug 1st, 2010 at 7:56pm:
yes the anxiety alliance helpline is offering the telephone service from volunteers homes I believe, not sure how to access the landline numbers hidden behind the current 0845 number they now are offerring, if anyone can explain where the email adrress is I could try emailing to see what happens.....I,ve asked one of the volunteers if they know the landline number for the helpline, told by this particular volunteer they don,t.....any further help would be appreciated, thankyou.

http://www.anxietyalliance.org.uk/contact_us

The e-mail address is located on this page.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 4:37pm

looks like with the fact that volunteers operate from their home and the 0845 number diverts to the volunteer when it is rung that this is going to be a difficult one to crack..I got a reply to the email I sent, merely stating the helpline couldn,t afford the continuing use of the landline number ( though no explanation what costs were associated with this ) and that moving to an 0845 number was " inevitable ", she said the woman who replied to me. Think I,ll reply asking why the landline number is unafordable..think she,ll tell me why ? I,m not clear as to when an 0845 number diverts calls is it still operating from a hidden landline number ? Anyone know ?

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 4:39pm

Dave, I,m ringing from London area...

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 5:46pm

dandy wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 4:37pm:
looks like with the fact that volunteers operate from their home and the 0845 number diverts to the volunteer when it is rung that this is going to be a difficult one to crack..I got a reply to the email I sent, merely stating the helpline couldn,t afford the continuing use of the landline number ( though no explanation what costs were associated with this ) and that moving to an 0845 number was " inevitable ", she said the woman who replied to me. Think I,ll reply asking why the landline number is unafordable..think she,ll tell me why ? I,m not clear as to when an 0845 number diverts calls is it still operating from a hidden landline number ? Anyone know ?

I can only speculate, but I think that the old 01926 number was often diverted to volunteers' own 01/02 landline numbers, and thus this would have been likely to incur costs on a per minute basis.

The 0845 number will probably be set to point (put calls through to) different landline numbers at different times.

If you are with BT or TalkTalk, then the cost of a 0845 call will cost you no more than a geographic call (to a 01/02 number).

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:14pm

Thanks Dave for your help, can you explain to me the difference then, is it that by me ringing the 0845 number the helpline generate an income which offsets any previous charges that occurred when a service user rang the 01926 number they previously used ? I, new to this, and learning.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:42pm

dandy wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 6:14pm:
Thanks Dave for your help, can you explain to me the difference then, is it that by me ringing the 0845 number the helpline generate an income which offsets any previous charges that occurred when a service user rang the 01926 number they previously used ? I, new to this, and learning.

In essence, yes, although a more in depth explanation may be useful:

Strictly speaking, the 0845 number doesn't divert calls anywhere because the word "divert" implies that calls are sent elsewhere from their normal destination. With respect to the 0845 number, a call is routed to a destination number, or to phrase it differently, the 0845 points to a 01/02 number.

The user of the 0845 number receives a subsidy which (in general) covers the cost of routing the call to the destination 01/02 number. The user of the 0845 number will not 'see' the subsidy, other than it won't have to pay for calls put through to the chosen 01/02 destination number(s). This happens behind the scenes, as it were, between the caller's telephone company and the receiver's telephone company (which operates the 0845 number).
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:43pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:51pm

So the use of an 0845 number is a financial one, but still not 100 % clear why companies/services need to rely on such numbers, how did they manage before such numbers could be used for revenue ? Any answers ? ( Does this need to be in a different post ? ).

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 11:04pm

dandy wrote on Aug 9th, 2010 at 10:51pm:
So the use of an 0845 number is a financial one, but still not 100 % clear why companies/services need to rely on such numbers, how did they manage before such numbers could be used for revenue ? Any answers ? ( Does this need to be in a different post ? ).

Companies often cite that they need a 0845 number because it allows them more flexibility to route calls. For example, routing calls to another office may form part of a disaster recovery plan or in the event of a fire evacuation.

In 2007, largely as a result of this campaign, 03 numbers were introduced. These provide exactly the same technical/operational benefits as 0845 (and 0844 etc) numbers, but without passing back some of the service costs onto callers.

Prior to this time, having such routing facilities on a non-geographic number meant taking a subsidy from callers. This covered the cost of the 0845 number delivering calls to the destination 01/02 number(s).

So organisations were quick to say that they needed these facilities, but they didn't have to pay for them. Like Anxiety Alliance does, they trumpetted calls as being charged at "local rate" so as to paint the picture of costing no more than a normal "local" call.

IP Logged

dandy

Reply #14 - Aug 10th, 2010 at 12:28am

Thanks Dave for all of your help and excellent guidance, you could write a book !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge