Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Penrhyn Bay & Deganwy Medical Centre (Read 76,089 times)
Trenod

Penrhyn Bay & Deganwy Medical Centre
Jul 29th, 2010 at 6:51pm

Hello! I've joined the forum just now in order to post a request.

Does anyone have a geo for Penrhyn Bay Medical Centre? (http://www.penrhynbay-deganwymedicalcentre.co.uk/) They changed to a pesky 0844 a couple of years ago, a move which coincided with a change of policy for making appointments. Until then, there was no guarantee that you would get an appointment on the same day. So many people complained that they had to wait days to see a doctor, that they changed the system to one where you have to phone (or visit) between 8.30 and 10.00am (a nightmare for people who start work at 9.00am and are on their way there before that - i.e. the majority!), and you're certain to get an appointment sometime that day. (Again, a nightmare for workers, as it means they can't book time off with their boss until the last minute, but I digress...) That was when the number changed to a non-geo one.

Dialling the old number (01492 549368) only gives you the posh BT lady telling you to dial the new one (0844 477 3342). At the moment I use a pre-paid over-ride service (ASDA Calltime) to 'bypass' BT when phoning the surgery. This costs 10p a minute (so a £10 top-up with my ASDA Calltime swipe card would give me 100 minutes calling that particular 0844 number). That's not too bad when I don't have to call the surgery often; otherwise, it would be cheaper to just go over my BT inclusive minutes by making the call with them. You can be on hold for up to ten minutes; that's a £1 call with ASDA's 1460 prefix.

There *must* be a better alternative? Wink

While I can just about understand the rationale behind switching to non-geographic numbers, *surely* there's no longer any excuse for organisations to use expensive ones like 0844? An 0800, 0808, 0500, 03, 0845 or 0870 number would be able to handle automation and queuing just as well, and wouldn't cost the caller a penny from a landline - the first three being free at all times, and the last three now included in most landline calling plans. How does the NHS in particular justify the continued use of non-inclusive, or 'premium', 08 numbers for automated queuing systems? We need to NAG them about the alternatives, until they back down!!!

~ Edited by Dave: Thread split off and title amended
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:05pm by Trenod »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Penrhyn Bay & Deganwy Medical Centre
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:25pm

E-mail address would appear to be firstname.lastname@gp-w94018.wales.nhs.uk

IP Logged

Trenod

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:43pm

Many thanks, Dave. I've found the name of the Practice Manager: http://www.wales.nhs.uk/ourservices/directory/betsicadwaladruniversityhealthboar...

So next time I need to make an appointment, I'll try to do it by e-mailing (before 10am!) diane.windmill@gp-w94018.wales.nhs.uk

This job advertisement confirms that such an e-mail address exists: http://careers.bmj.com/careers/view-job.html?id=20038446

The practice website gives no e-mail address, so they probably won't like it. But tough! Grin She might just tell me to call, though (if she's a jobsworth), as the time on an e-mail is not always accurate. They might not even read it until much later that day... I'd rather annoy her than one of the doctors, though.

I will, of course, let you know of the response!
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010 at 7:51pm by Trenod »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2010 at 8:38pm

You might like to read the guidance I have posted previously on this. I have done some searches and come up with nothing giving anyone's direct number.

The job advert on the BMJ website gives the 0844 number. For other surgeries I've come across job adverts with members of staffs' direct numbers, and from there tracked down the main number that is answered with the menu.

IP Logged

Trenod

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:34pm

All Penrhyn Bay numbers begin '54'. The most common ones are 546, 547, 548 and 549. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any others. It's those elusive last three digits that I need to crack! I guess the only people who know the 'proper' number are the staff, who've probably been sworn to secrecy!

Thank you for trying. I suppose I'll have to pursue the matter through my councillors and MP - all of whom would, I'm sure, be on my side.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:36pm by Trenod »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2010 at 11:03am

Trenod wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 11:34pm:
All Penrhyn Bay numbers begin '54'. The most common ones are 546, 547, 548 and 549. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen any others. It's those elusive last three digits that I need to crack! I guess the only people who know the 'proper' number are the staff, who've probably been sworn to secrecy!

On the basis that the old number begins 54, then the surgery in question is on Rhôs-on-Sea exchange and this is the only prefix for that exchange. Thus, I believe that the new number will begin 54.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge