Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation: Geographic numbers (Read 32,840 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Ofcom consultation: Geographic numbers
Nov 25th, 2010 at 11:51am

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/geographic-numbers/

Ofcom has just published a consultation on use of geographic numbers. I've had a very quick look at it and I see that one thing being proposed is that in certain areas local dialling be discontinued. That is, telephone users in one particular area code will have to dial the local number always prefixed with the STD code. This will allow use of local numbers beginning 0 and 1 (which would immediately follow the code).

This requires more reading, but I think that this is definately closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. The reason some areas are running low on numbers is not because there are lots of numbers in use, but because lots of numbers are allocated to telcos when they only need a few. It's not rocket science.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Ofcom consultation: Geographic numbers
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 2:31pm

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:55pm

Typical "Newspaper" reporting,

they cannot even get a dialing code correct - "The measures are aimed at halting the problems experienced in London when the new 0203 dialling code was introduced alongside the existing 0207 and 0208 prefixes six years ago" - Since when does London have an 0208/7/3 dialing code? It does NOT, it's code is 020!

Shocked

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:24pm

CJT-80 wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:55pm:

I disagree. They obviously got the detail wrong - that is inevitable.

They did however get the essence of the story right - this is less common.

Misrepresenting the situation in London in the way that was done, does actually get the point across more clearly than explaining that shortening the "area code" and lengthening the "exchange code" made it easier to offer more numbers by opening up the possibility of "exchange codes" beginning 2,3,4,5 and 6. Under the new idea the options for 0, 1 and 9 will be added. It would indeed be more correct to refer to 020 7xxx, 020 8xxx, and 020 3xxx. The difficulty is in explaining to people that they were over-simplifying the situation in thinking that 0171 and 0181 were replaced by 0207 and 0208 respectively and that 0203 has now been added.

"National number" dialling is already becoming the norm, with in-built directories in phones, fed by CLI, and use of mobiles. Ofcom may encourage it as a standard, if abbreviated dialling options are withdrawn in certain cases. This leave those of us who press for proper presentation of London numbers becoming total pedants. Many of those I press on the subject take my point, but say that they always dial the full number anyway, as they have to on their mobile and if calling from another area. If the full number has to be dialled, punctuation is simply a matter of how it is easiest to transfer the information from the page to the dialling keys.

Mobile users will know that loading phonebooks from CLI typically stores numbers in "international", let alone "national" format. I cannot foresee the day when we will have to go that far in normal dialling.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:29pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

catj

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 8:22pm

Interestingly, if you dial any UK telephone number on an Apple iPhone, you'll see that the software puts spaces in all the right places, for all number lengths, and for all number formats.

No-one with an iPhone should be under any illusion that the area code for London numbers is anything other than 020.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2010 at 8:23pm by catj »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 2:41pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 10:24pm:
CJT-80 wrote on Nov 26th, 2010 at 9:55pm:

I disagree. They obviously got the detail wrong - that is inevitable.

They did however get the essence of the story right - this is less common.

The essence of the story is not that unused telephone numbers are running out because more and more are required by subscribers, but that the way in which numbers are allocated to communications providers which leads to lots of wastage.

The fact that this is now apparently being looked at, purely as a result of dwindling stocks of unallocated numbers, seems to be the way, where things are only looked at when they are seen to be an issue, rather than designing them correctly in the first place.

I suspect that our number guru catj will be able to shed much light on this.

National dialling only creates a lot of (or should I say, even more) wastage, whereby numbers only ever begin with 0, 1 and 999.

If national dialling only be implented with certain STD codes only, then how are we to know which it does apply to? In such circumstances, it would therefore be innappropriate to use parentheses around the code. So there will be some situations where they are appropriate to be used in geographic numbers and others where they are not. However, as we have discussed elsewhere, they often get used incorrectly, thereby diminishing their usefulness at imparting the message. Incorrect applications (such as around prefixes 0845, 0208, 02476) also suggests that authors don't understand their purpose anyway.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:18pm

Yes, the issue is that anything up to 300 different providers can each reserve a block of 1000 numbers in every area code.  Subscriber numbers are actually falling nationally.

The system used to be set to issue numbers in blocks of 10 000.  However once several dozen providers had reserved 10 000 numbers each, there weren't many DE blocks free in some areas.  The system was then changed, only a few years ago, to issue just 1 000 numbers per provider per area code.

In reality, some providers have no interest in geographic numbers, having allocations only in NGN number space.

Even so, the problem has now re-occurred.  There are now hundreds of providers and the limit has almost been reached again.

Ofcom want to open up numbers such as (01456) 0xxxxx and (01456) 1xxxxx, but this short-term measure simply opens 200 new blocks per area code, all of which will be swallowed up within a couple of years - not by subscribers, but by multiple new companies reserving them for future use.

The country isn't really "running out" of numbers.  What's happened is that Ofcom's crazy system of allocating numbers "by provider" has wasted vast amounts of number stock and it is now catching up with them.

Take a look at the "By Provider" list at  http://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm ; to see just how many number blocks each provider has already reserved.  Be aware that some providers have hundreds of area codes where they have zero customers, and yet have 1000 numbers set aside in every area code "just in case".
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:03am by catj »  

IP Logged

catj

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:34pm

Quote:
0208, 02476

Slapped wrists for that!

It's (020) 8  and (024) 76.

There's a number of related articles:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333264/Shortage-phone-numbers-means-you...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8690014.Brighton_and_Hove_could_get_new_phone_num...

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/local/localbrad/8709929.Change_to_pho...

http://www.thisisbusiness-eastmidlands.co.uk/news/need-use-01332-dialling-code-n...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/25/ofcom_local_numbers/

Read this for loads of mis-reporting...

http://www.prlog.org/11109047-london-phone-numbers-are-running-out-again.html

To be very clear,
- London is NOT one of the affected areas.
- The London area codes are NOT 0203, 0207 and 0208.
- The previous London change did not add 10 million numbers. It allowed for 80 million numbers in London instead of the previous 16 million limit.

All that from a so-called "telecoms company".  What planet are THEY on?
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010 at 12:02am by catj »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2010 at 11:53pm

catj wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:18pm:
The country isn't really "running out" of numbers.  What's happened is that Ofcom's crazy system of allocating numbers "by provider" has wasted vast amounts of number stock and it is now catching up with them.

That's what I thought. It's not really rocket science and all of this was therefore predictable.

The whole sordid affair has come about as a result of the obsession that telecommunications must be privatised with competing providers at all costs. Had telecommunications not been opened up to multiple providers, this would not have happened.

What should have happened is that a suitable solution to the problem be drawn up prior to opening up of the industry.

These days, remediation is only carried out as a consequence of negative outcomes as a result of the bad design. With the railways, it took loss of life for systems to be changed.

catj wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 9:34pm:
Quote:
0208, 02476

Slapped wrists for that!

It's (020) 8  and (024) 76.

Either you have taken my comment out of context, or you have forgotten that 0845 has no longer been a STD code for over 15 years. Any slapped wrists are for the many people who write numbers incorrectly, and that includes putting 0845 in brackets.

At the end of the day, there is no need to have national dialling only in any area because (to the best of my knowledge) there are plenty of numbers that are not allocated to subscribers within all STD codes.

If this ridiculous way of handing out numbers is to be the way, then why don't we increase number length to say 20 digits and have done with it? That way there will be loads and loads of numbers for communications providers to sit on.

National dialling only within particular STD code(s) is just a total bodge. How are we supposed to know which areas where the code must always be dialled? There is no logic!
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2010 at 11:53pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:00am

Dave wrote on Nov 30th, 2010 at 11:53pm:
National dialling only within particular STD code(s) is just a total bodge. How are we supposed to know which areas where the code must always be dialled? There is no logic!

We sometimes look to north America to see a consistent and sensible numbering scheme. It's not as good as it seems. I was in Vancouver a few years ago and we had to dial the area code even for local calls. Can't remember if we had to dial "1" before it as well. Never found out why we had to dial the area code but the only reason I can thnk of is that some numbers began with 0 or 1.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:14am

You had to dial the area code, because that district has multiple area codes covering the same streets.

It would be like 0121 covering the whole of Birmingham, UK, and because all the numbers had been used, the area code 0421 introduced to also cover the whole of Birmingham.  For a local call, you would not be allowed to dial just 222 3344 any more. You would have to dial 0121 222 3344 or 0421 222 3344 in full, even from another line with the same area code as the number you were calling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlay_plan

Depending on where you live in the US, local calls may be 7 or 10 digits or may need 1+10 digits.

Long distance calls need 10 or 1+10 digits.

It is very complicated, as in some areas the dial plan may be permissive, and in others mandatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Numbering_Plan#Dialing_plans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_code_overlays
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:32am by catj »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 10:52pm

catj wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:14am:
Depending on where you live in the US, local calls may be 7 or 10 digits or may need 1+10 digits.

It is very complicated, as in some areas the dial plan may be permissive, and in others mandatory.

We have discussed numbering in US and Canada at length previously. I wouldn't describe as "complicated" whether local dialling is possible or not in particular areas. Rather, it is an illogical hotch potch.

The point of local dialling allows the use of shorter numbers for some destinations. National dialling only inhibits any short numbers being dialled.

Something which is complicated is logical. Our numbering is, broadly speaking, just that. There are a few exceptions with STD codes 01xxxx such as 015394, but in the main it's possible to work out what the local part of the number is, and thus dial it omitting the code (when calling from a line with the same code).

IP Logged

catj

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2010 at 11:30pm

I was going to mention that numbers in the following areas are not correctly formatted in the search results at:  http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php ; including Hawkshead, Ambleside, Coniston, Grasmere, Windermere, Wigton, Keswick, Eskdale, and others:  i.e. 013873 - 015242 - 015394 - 015395 - 015396 - 016973 - 016974 - 016977 - 017683 - 017684 - 017687 - 019467. Is that easy to fix?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 2:29am

[quote author=catj link=1290685881/0#10 date=1291191293]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlay_plan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Numbering_Plan#Dialing_plans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_area_code_overlays
[/quote]It's not that complicated for those of us who live here :) I would also argue that, even for visitors, as long as reference is made to the local phone book, the system here is actually quite straightforward. The phone book will describe what one needs to dial, and whether the call will be free, as is common for residential subscribers. People here seem to adapt to overlays and splits very easily.

I would contrast this with the situation that I see when I visit the UK. The common use of, for example, 01142 and 0207, must be confusing for those unfamiliar with the UK system.

There are around 350 NPA ('area codes') in use in the US, Canada and twenty-odd other countries and territories. These cover landlines, cellular, toll-free and other non-geographic services. Each subscriber number is in a standardized format - NPA-NXX-XXXX. The UK has at least 600 variable length area codes for landlines alone! While the numbering scheme here has some drawbacks, and is far from perfect, I would argue that is is a significant improvement over the Ofcom-administered bodge.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2010 at 2:35am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 2:42am

allegro wrote on Dec 1st, 2010 at 8:00am:
We sometimes look to north America to see a consistent and sensible numbering scheme. It's not as good as it seems. I was in Vancouver a few years ago and we had to dial the area code even for local calls. Can't remember if we had to dial "1" before it as well. Never found out why we had to dial the area code but the only reason I can thnk of is that some numbers began with 0 or 1.
Ten digit dialing is mandatory in Vancouver, as it is in many metro areas on this continent. The NANP does not allow telephone numbers (the NXX part) to begin with 0 or 1.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge