Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Single telephone number for businesses (Read 6,025 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Single telephone number for businesses
Dec 6th, 2010 at 6:48pm

I don't understand this but no doubt SCV, Dave  or someone else will be able to explain

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336212/Europe-proposes-single-telephone...

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Single telephone number for businesses
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2010 at 10:44pm

Good question. I will offer links to the relevant material and then have a quick stab at some initial comments.

The announcement of the EU consultation, with links to various materials is at:
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/ecomm/library/public_consult/numb....

The consultation document itself (the questionnaire) is at:
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/policy/ecomm/doc/library/public_consult/....

The idea is to find a convenient way of EU-wide businesses offering a single EU wide contact number which could be charged at national rates wherever it was called from. Two options are presented:

1. Adoption of common numbers within every national national numbering scheme, possibly using the 115 prefix.

2. Use of the special +3883 country code, reserved for the EU in 2000, although shortly to lapse.

It is an interesting idea, insofar as the idea of an EU-wide business has any meaning. We would tend to think of a business as either being local, national or foreign, having a geographic, non-geographic or international number. I do not believe that there is a natural place for a further option sitting between the latter two.

Users of such numbers would have to pick up the cost involved in callers being able to access the numbers at national rate. To ensure that calls were answered in the appropriate language, they would also have to ensure that calls were routed according to point from where they were dialled. I am not sure that there are many who would go for this as most international businesses do not limit their scope to the boundaries of the EU.

I cannot however see any reason to oppose the idea, if anyone is interested in taking advantage of it. I cannot immediately think of how it could be used to provide a new opportunity for making money out of telephone calls, on top of those which exist already.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 9:55am

Thanks. As usual anything to do with this industry, sounds very complicated

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 11:00am

Up until now, I had not heard of this new prefix. It is called European Telephony Numbering Space (ETNS) and its registrar's website no doubt has more information on it as does its entry on Wikipedia.

Anyone unaware of +3883, when presented with such a number, would probably shun it as being a costly overseas number. There will be the perception that because +3883 isn't one's own international code, that it must be based elsewhere and therefore it is an international call.

As well as the perception, what about the cost of calling such numbers? I have been unable to determine the BT's charge from its Price List.

Unless there is a regulatory rule that says providers must charge no more than a national geographic call then there is no way on this earth that they will do so.

What's more, all of this is really immaterial as prospective callers will steer clear of these numbers due to the aforementioned reasons.

Like SCV, I don't see a reason to oppose the idea, but I don't see how it would ever work in practice.  Undecided

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 12:13pm

It is indeed complicated, although unfortunately it is often necessary to address complications in order to achieve a simple result.

Dave makes a good point. Let us assume that +3883, or 115x..x numbers were attractive to EU-wide businesses, who met the costs so that callers were only charged on the same basis as a national call to a geographic number. Even then, it would take enormous effort to convince rightly cynical callers that this was the case. One may think of the way in which the cost of calling 03 numbers is misrepresented and misunderstood and the widespread belief that local calls are cheaper than national calls.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge