<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VOIP Providers (Read 13,654 times)
s375d

VOIP Providers
Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:54am

Not sure if this is allowed here or not but been looking for a VOIP provider that is essentially free (excluding paying for call costs). I've looked around at a few but most of them seem to be rip offs; I came across this one - VoiceHost.co.uk, just wondered if anyone else uses them and if they're any good? Just mainly want one VOIP line so I can have clients contact me (as I'm a web developer) over the telephone, and having a proper telephone number would be more professional.

The 1p per minute on calls to UK numbers both on/off peak sounds too good to be true, so I'm really not sure?!

They provide a free 0843 number (unusual!) and then you can purchase optional premium rate numbers or geographical numbers at your own desire. Not sure if there are any other service charges other than those besides the calls you make and how easy it is to set up or if possible, to run through my PC with headset. Smiley

Anyone any ideas on cheap providers?
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:55am by s375d »  

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Re: VOIP Providers
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 2:54pm

Sounds like an advert to me..

and what’s a free 0843 number?
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2011 at 2:55pm by nutellajunkie »  

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 3:18pm

s375d wrote on Jan 15th, 2011 at 12:54am:
The 1p per minute on calls to UK numbers both on/off peak sounds too good to be true, so I'm really not sure?!

They provide a free 0843 number (unusual!) and then you can purchase optional premium rate numbers or geographical numbers at your own desire. Not sure if there are any other service charges other than those besides the calls you make and how easy it is to set up or if possible, to run through my PC with headset. Smiley

The 0843 prefix is an extension of 0844. As a member of this website, I would have thought that you would wish to use such a covert-premium number.  Huh

There is another thread called Getting your own 03 number in which some VoIP providers have been suggested, which also offer geographic numbers.

IP Logged

samwsmith1

York
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2011 at 4:32pm

You can get a free geo number at http://www.sipgate.co.uk/ which is much better than an 0843 number.
I have an 020 number with them, and there's 1p a minute calls there as well.

IP Logged

pol098

London UK
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:43am

For INCOMING calls Sipgate will give you a geographical number free of charge. You can also make outgoing calls at reasonable rates, but can receive incoming without ever giving your payment card details.

For OUTGOING calls Voipcheap give up to 300' per week free calls to many destinations (including landlines in UK, US, Argentina, etc.) if you have bought credit in the last 60 days. So if you make a lot of calls you pay no more than €10 every two months, more if you often call non-free numbers such as mobiles, 0871, etc. Voipcheap don't give you a number for incoming calls, but if you get a number elsewhere you can register it with them. Sipgate in, Voipcheap out works.

Another way to make calls at low cost without setting up your own VoIP is to use services such as 18185, 18866, 1899; calls to geographic numbers cost a flat ~5p (varying with provider and over time) plus zero p/minute.

As this appears to be an up-and-coming area, it would be useful for saynoto0870 to start listing VoIP "numbers" for companies. Calls between two parties both using VoIP (without an ordinary phone number) are free. You typically have to call something like 123456@sip.gradwell.net from a computer or set up in the phonebook of a VoIP adaptor (you can't dial letters from a phone handset).
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2011 at 10:50am by pol098 »  

IP Logged

s375d

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 9:43pm

samwsmith1 wrote on Jan 15th, 2011 at 4:32pm:
You can get a free geo number at http://www.sipgate.co.uk/ which is much better than an 0843 number.
I have an 020 number with them, and there's 1p a minute calls there as well.

I did look at these guys but after reading some reviews I wasn't so sure, and that they're not ITSPA registered providers, unlike the ones on this list: http://www.itspa.org.uk/members.html - not sure if that makes a difference but I think the ITSPA has standards that VOIP providers must conform to, which is probably what makes them good.

As for the 0843 number, it might be free for me, but I'd prefer a geographic presence. The issue with VoiceHost is that there doesn't seem to be much information on their site; i.e. is it pay and go or is there monthly calling plans? I've sent them an email asking a few questions as it's easier than making a telephone call and trying to explain it all, and it says they'll respond within 24 hours, but that was on Thursday and I've not received a reply! Plus they don't show the available geographic DIDs prior to registration, which could mean I'd end up with a rubbish number that I don't like!

I came across Soho66.co.uk, not sure if they're any good but they seem to have a wide range of geographic DID's available and cost around the same as VoiceHost for outgoing calls.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 4:41am

Gradwell is a well respected provider although I do not use them my self because I call mostly 01 02 03 numbers when I researched  them all the feedback was very good

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

s375d

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:18pm

I liked them but their cost-per-minute for outgoing calls was like £1.50 a minute!!!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 10:08am

s375d wrote on Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:18pm:
I liked them but their cost-per-minute for outgoing calls was like £1.50 a minute!!!

Other telephone providers should take a leaf out of Gradwell's book by making the rates easy to find. I went to the home page, and a link near the bottom goes to the call charges page:

http://www.gradwell.com/phoneservices/callcharges

Geographic call charges 1.5 pence per minute peak (Mon-Fri 8am-6pm UK time) and 1 pence per minute at all other times.

IP Logged

Mark_s

Derby
Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 6:28pm

Jajah, http://www.jajah.com You dont even need a computer.
I have used it abroad too (USA) although most countries do work. Used in conjunction with a local payg mobile for no roaming charges with cheap and sometimes free calls too if you use a web browser.
There is an i-phone app. for this too I think. Smiley

IP Logged

Mark_s

Derby
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 6:47pm

Mark_s wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 6:28pm:
Jajah, http://www.jajah.com You dont even need a computer.
I have used it abroad too (USA) although most countries do work. Used in conjunction with a local payg mobile for no roaming charges with cheap and sometimes free calls too if you use a web browser.
There is an i-phone app. for this too I think. Smiley

It does work in UK too on standard landlines and mobiles.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge