Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 274,478 times)
4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces
Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:01pm

I heard today that ALL Police Forces plan to ditch the Geographic 03 numbers that they have been using and will instead introduce a single number, 101, for ALL non emergency calls. Currently only a few forces offer the 101 alternative which costs customers 10p per call, even if you have a home phone package with inclusive calls. Calls from mobile can vary.

When this happens I want to know if the 10p per call will remain, because if not, then this is yet another stealth tax on the millions of people who have to call the Police each month. The 101 number should be classed as a non-geographic number in the same way as n 03 number.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:02pm by 4PetesSake »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police For
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:08am

If this is correct, it is truly appalling.  Apart from the stealth tax of the cost, how will a caller contact their LOCAL police?   In rural areas there is enough of a problem with police staff based 20 miles away having never heard of villages of say 500 residents (some years ago Essex introduced mobile police stations, the first call was supposed to be to the village where the Chair of the Police Authority lived, the van got lost & the Chair had to go & find it & conduct it to his village!!). I assume 101 would work like all these other useless call centres where when one calls from Cornwall and, if call volumes are high,one ends up talking to someone in say Scotland  who, not unreasonably, will have no idea of a particular location in Cornwall (& no, sat nav is not the answer, where we used to live, our post code often did not show up on the utilities' data bases & sat nav, on one occasion, we were told there was no record of our post code, would we pretend to be from another address in future!!)   And has anyone recently tried getting directions from a police officer when eg being diverted at an accident site?   In our experience they have NO IDEA of the locality in which they are standing, never mind being able to help people around an obstacle.

Basically, police response has declined since it ceased to be possible to call one's local police station 24/7, it was the local officers & staff who knew the area & knew the problems/ problem people in that area, 101 will make a poor situation even worse and at a cost to the public whom the police are meant to serve.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:12am

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:19am

Thanks, sherbert, doesn't alter my views, still a bad idea but I have registerd my comments.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:16am

sherbert wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:12am:

That page talks about 101 with respect only to the three areas that it operates currently, so I think it was written prior to the recent announcement. BTW, can someone provide a link to a story on the latest announcement?

What can be reported in areas varies at present. Abandoned vehicles, dumping and fly tipping and faulty street lights can be reported in Sheffield on 101, but not in the two other areas that 101 is available.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:15am

http://www.windsor-telecom.co.uk/news.php?Title=New-101-Non-Emergency-Number-for...

New 101 Non-Emergency Number for Police

Northants Police have confirmed that the 101 UK Wide Non Emergency number is going live after all 43 forces voted for it.

The new phone number will be used for all non-emergency calls and the concept is that it will be easy for the public to remember (in the same way as the 999 emergency phone number).

The Metropolitan Police will be the first force to move over to the new 101 phone number in time for the Olympics in 2012.

The plan is that there will be technical testing during May/June 2011. The proposed plan is that when you dial 101 you will go through to an IVR that says you will be diverted to the local force to which you are calling.

There will possibly be a voice recognition service where you can say the name of the force you want to speak to and are then put through.

Following the technical testing the forces will then be loaded over time. Northants Police is penciled in for September. By the end of 2011, there should be 80% of Forces running on the new 101 service.

This will effectively put an end to all Police Forces non-emergency numbers whether they are 01/02 geographic numbers, 0800 or 0845 numbers or 0303 or 0300 numbers.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:12pm

I have been advised today that when the the 101 non emergency number is introduced that there will be a fixed cost of 10p from landlines, no doubt calls from mobiles will be vary and cost more. I feel that this number should run alongside a Geographical 03 alternative and not replace it.

Will calls be free from call boxes or will people have to pay the mininum call box charge of 60p? I very much doubt a call box would let you make the call for 10p.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:10pm

I am afraid if it costs 10p to make contact via the 101 number to contact the police it is a rip off and I SHALL NOT BE CONTACTING the via this number

What do other members think?

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:17pm

Thanks for your info Sherbert

I have left a message as follows

IT IS DISCUSTING that callers are going to be charged to contact the police, I certainly will not use this number if I wish to contact the police I will either use the local station number or ring 999

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:50pm

bazzerfewi, I am with you absolutely on this, I WILL NOT be charged like this to contact the police, particularly when, if you look at your council tax bill, you can see how much you already pay for this PUBLIC service!   This is also at a time when many, particularly smaller, police stations are going to close so it's yet another case of paying more for less.   After all, the police say they need the help of the public in dealing with crime yet want to charge them for being helpful - imagine the outcry if the remaining police stations had a turnstile & you had put insert 10p gain access to report a crime or hand in someone's lost wallet!!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 6:33pm

sherbert wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:15am:

We await official confirmation of what appears to be an authoritative statement.

All I have been able to glean from various sources is that this will simply be a non-emergency number for contacting the local Police Service. It will not, as originally conceived, also cover reports of matters, e.g. noise, covered by local authorities.

As this looks to be something of a re-launch, the opportunity for the Home Office to re-open negotiations with the telephone companies about the charging basis should have been taken. When granted the number, the Home Office noted the need for consistency of charging and undertook to review the charging basis when assessing the impact of the arrangements initially put in place.

As the scope and nature of the service has changed considerably, there can be no question that a further review is necessary as this goes forward.

I suspect that this item was omitted from the Ofcom consultation - Simplifying Non-Geographic Numbers - as it was seen to be essentially dead. As it appears that it will now return to prominence, Ofcom should be ready to canvass opinion in the context of its general review of NGCS, and to comment at a suitable stage.

The present call cost information for 101 sits clearly within the target area of the type of nonsense that Ofcom seeks to outlaw:-

Quote:
Calls to 101 from standard BT lines cost 10p for the entire call. The cost of calls to 101 from other networks and mobiles may vary. Check with your telephone company for details.

Unless a common simple charge (or none) can be agreed then there must be a PCA. (Note: my advocacy for a PCA for this exceptional case - as is the nature of calls to 101 - must not be seen as undermining my general comments on PCAs.)

4PetesSake wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:01pm:
The 101 number should be classed as a non-geographic number in the same way as n 03 number.

For me the problem is with the variable nature of the charge. The cost of the call has to be met somehow, whether through general taxation or a charge on callers.

Calls to 03 numbers are paid for by the caller at the geographic (lowest) rate they pay for calls (this is generally zero for contract telephones). This is the right approach for many calls to public bodies, where it is proper that citizens incur only the cost associated with a geographical call from their chosen provider and tariff.

In my opinion, 111 should have been priced in the same way as 03 calls (indeed each area ready and able to offer such a service should have had its own 03 number). The 111 trials will be reviewed in the coming Autumn, when I believe that it may have to be reconsidered most seriously. The proposed abandonment of local NHS bodies may make it unworkable in its present form anyway.

Setting 101 at 10p per call from BT makes it cheaper than 03 for some callers at some times, but more expensive for others. The three digit numbers can be priced in any way that can be agreed between the body issued with the number and the telephone service providers; each case should be considered on its merits.

I like the idea of a fixed price per call for 101 and understand the strong arguments for why the rate should not be zero. The police do not have a turnstile at the entrance to a police station, but they do not pay your bus fare or car parking charges when you visit them.

Because of the particular nature of the 101 service, I believe that a single charge rate should be set to apply across all providers, with the necessary cross-subsidy and taxpayer contribution. Whether the appropriate figure is zero, 10p, 20p or £1 per call, it should be the same for all citizens.

If all the costs of the basic telephony (not that of the police call handling, which would be expressed in pounds per call) could be expected to be met at the fixed rate of 10p per call, across all types of telephone, I would not have a problem with this. If such a fixed price went beyond 20p and / or if significant taxpayer subsidy was required, then I would question the propriety of the project. (It seems that I will probably have to raise these questions.)
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011 at 2:06pm by Dave »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 6:39pm

Barbara wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:08am:
... how will a caller contact their LOCAL police? ... I assume 101 would work like all these other useless call centres ... & no, sat nav is not the answer, where we used to live, our post code often did not show up on the utilities' data bases & sat nav ...  In our experience they have NO IDEA of the locality in which they are standing ... it was the local officers & staff who knew the area & knew the problems/ problem people in that area, 101 will make a poor situation even worse

This is a fair attack on bad call centre culture, which commonly fails to deliver what it could and should.

101 and 111, along with many other local services delivered using national numbers (including NHS Direct), rely on use of the locality component of a landline caller's number or the cell from which a mobile call is originated. As these services are currently in operation, these techniques are being used today.

Neither of these locality determinants rely on postcodes or GPS, but that is not to say that they are flawless. If anyone has any knowledge or experience of them giving incorrect results, it would be interesting to hear about it.

IP Logged

pg80

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:42pm

On the flip side, it can be very difficult if in a strange area (eg on holiday, etc) to work out:

1. What the local police force is
2. Find the number to contact them on

Having one number for all police forces would be useful, but it would need some kind of assistance if automated - eg someone could look up a road name / town etc to put you through if you were not sure which force you needed.

As for the cost, I agree that it should be uniform across all telecom networks.

The idea of a flat rate per call is okay in my eyes, and I'd much prefer that to say 5p per minute (or worse), but if they could keep the cost down (especially as the volume should go up with more forces joining), something like 3 or 4p per call would be good.

Perhaps the local forces will keep their local 03/01/02 numbers, so you have that choice? 101 could be useful for when you don't know the number, but in your home town, you could phone the free alternative.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:40pm

I agree with Barbara, and as I stated in my last post I will not use the service, I will not be charged for contacting the police, and I am on Virgin I haven't contacted them yet but it may be more expensive to use this service via the Virgin Network

Two words sum it up RIP OFF

Telecoms should foot the bill - they make enough out at present

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:12pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:40pm:
Telecoms should foot the bill
This is nothing more than adding a third possibility to the options of 1) callers and 2) taxpayers, as to who pays - 3) all telephone users.

If anyone can suggest how a scheme may be implemented whereby certain costs must be met out of the profits of companies, rather than their revenue from charges, then I would be happy to consider the means of funding that is proposed.

(This assumes an absence of total economic regulation by the government, so that all charges are determined by the state.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge