Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces (Read 274,553 times)
bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Re: 101 - New Non-Emergency No. for ALL Police Forces
Reply #195 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 11:02am

That is the most logical solution why don't they all follow suit

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #196 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 11:44am

Dave wrote on Apr 8th, 2012 at 9:44pm:
Prior to switching to 101, North Wales Police used 0845 607 1002. Now it offers 0300 330 0101 as an alternative to the 101 number.

bazzerfewi wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 11:02am:
That is the most logical solution why don't they all follow suit

In some cases they had geographic or 03 numbers rather than, or as an alternative to, a 0845 number. It is only those who do not have such an option who need to adopt a new alternative to 101.

The key point is that, in every case, a geographic rate alternative to 101 must be presented.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #197 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:47pm

All secondary services such as 03 and 08 numbers must sit on a geographical 01/02 number. In all cases every region could operate an alternatvie none geographical 03 number because all 0845 numbers have the facility to be transfered to a 03 number FREE OF CHARGE

In any event all regions could provide 01/02/03 numbers at no extra cost.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #198 - Apr 9th, 2012 at 8:18pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Apr 9th, 2012 at 2:47pm:
All secondary services such as 03 and 08 numbers must sit on a geographical 01/02 number. In all cases every region could operate an alternatvie none geographical 03 number because all 0845 numbers have the facility to be transfered to a 03 number FREE OF CHARGE

In any event all regions could provide 01/02/03 numbers at no extra cost.

We have to be very careful not to over-egg the point about migration to 03. It is more expensive to operate a 03 number than a 0845 number, because there is no revenue share. It is standard industry practice to allow migration from 084 to 034 without penalty during the term of a contract. There could be a modest administration charge levied by the telco for the change and there may be costs in changing materials to reflect a different number.

It is not true to say that non-geographic numbers MUST sit on a geographic number. This is one way of delivering calls to the point where they are answered, but there are others. If calls to a non-geographic alternative to 101 are delivered directly to the same call centre, then it is likely that this would not be done through the PSTN.

All telecoms services are provided at a charge to someone!

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #199 - Apr 16th, 2012 at 7:21pm

Well: Most Police Forces have now embraced the 101 non emergency number and the cost is 15p per call as opposed to the original proposal of 10p. The 15p charge is the same from a mobile.

If you are calling from a landline and the Force you are calling has an alternative 03000 number then I suggest that you use that instead if calling from a landline.

Staff cutbacks have affected most Forces as they seek to save money and you may find yourself in a queuing system for 10 minutes or more. Here in Northamptonshire I have been in a queue for 15 minutes, fortunately I had called their 03000 number which is included in my Geographical Calls package.

A 15p call from your moble is probably better than using up lots of your free minutes (unless you always have loads of unused one).

I guess if I go to a different County where I have no idea what the Police geographical Non-emergency number is then, I guess 101 is useful.

IP Logged

ihate0845

UK
Reply #200 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 9:37am

I have a 101 leaflet here and no alternative number is shown on it, so  Iwill only be using 999 or a number which I do have a geographical number 2222222 which goes to the police, I used the 2s a few times to report alarms and such.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #201 - Apr 19th, 2012 at 8:05pm

ihate0845 wrote on Apr 19th, 2012 at 9:37am:
I have a 101 leaflet here and no alternative number is shown on it, so  Iwill only be using 999 or a number which I do have a geographical number 2222222 which goes to the police, I used the 2s a few times to report alarms and such.

http://www.dorset.police.uk/Default.aspx?page=5507

BJ.

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #202 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:30am

I've just had to contact Maidstone Police Station.  The main number on their web page is 101 however, they do give 01622 690690 for those people dialing from outside the UK.  Does anyone think it would be a good idea for all of us to record our local police geographic numbers so that they can be posted on saynoto0870 before the geographic numbers are removed ?

IP Logged

Kiwi_g

Reply #203 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:52am

Apologies re previous post.  I originally searched police and came up with nothing.  I've done it again and found the numbers and links.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #204 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 12:08pm

Kiwi_g wrote on Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:30am:
I've just had to contact Maidstone Police Station.  The main number on their web page is 101 however, they do give 01622 690690 for those people dialing from outside the UK.  Does anyone think it would be a good idea for all of us to record our local police geographic numbers so that they can be posted on saynoto0870 before the geographic numbers are removed ?

The wording on the webpage - http://www.kent.police.uk/contact_us/by_phone/non_urg.html - needs to be changed. It should be made clear that the geographic alternative is for use by any caller, not just those from overseas or outside Kent. (One hopes that most people will be able to work that out for themselves, but that does not excuse the misrepresentation of the situation.)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #205 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 12:18pm

Kiwi_g wrote on Apr 23rd, 2012 at 11:30am:

The local geographic numbers for police forces in England and Wales are listed alongside 101.

Unfortunately when a search by number for 101 is done, it doesn't return any results. I raised this with the site administrator a while ago, but no solution has been enacted.

IP Logged

Magic_Sam

North East
101 for non-emergencies
Reply #206 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 1:05am

This must have been raised previously:  101 is apparently the non-emergency number to use to ease the pressure on 999, understandably enough, though whether for just the Police or also for Fire and Ambulance is not entirely clear.  What is clear is that it is a premium rate number - which I consider to be lamentable - and it seems from my searching that 0870 forum members have yet to find a cost-free or low cost way round it.   If I have missed something please say - and include it in the look-up list.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: 101 for non-emergencies
Reply #207 - Sep 30th, 2012 at 8:35pm

Magic_Sam wrote on Sep 30th, 2012 at 1:05am:
This must have been raised previously:  101 is apparently the non-emergency number to use to ease the pressure on 999, understandably enough, though whether for just the Police or also for Fire and Ambulance is not entirely clear.  What is clear is that it is a premium rate number - which I consider to be lamentable - and it seems from my searching that 0870 forum members have yet to find a cost-free or low cost way round it.   If I have missed something please say - and include it in the look-up list.

Magic Sam, you can find this number yourself.

Here is how,

Go to: http://www.police.uk/ - The National website for Police Forces. At the bottom of the screen click the blue link to the individual forces list: http://www.police.uk/?view=force_sites

Find the appropriate force, in my instance Sussex Police - www.sussex.police.uk,

Then contact us: http://www.sussex.police.uk/contact-us and find the 0845 or 01/02 number which is sometimes listed as International.

So for Sussex it's: 01273 475432

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
101 - Free To Call From Payphones But Not Elsewher
Reply #208 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 9:44am

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 4th, 2012 at 8:15pm:
I also scarcely dare ask what the cost of a 101 call is from a BT Payphone?  Is it only 15p or is it subject to the 60p Minimum Call charge?  If so then how on earth do the Police expect people on low incomes who cannot afford a phone line to be able to afford to contact them about non 999 matters?

On checking the current BT Payphones price list today at www.bt.com/pricing/current/Call_Charges_boo/3545_d0e5.htm#3545-d0e5 I I was interested and quite surprised to see that 101 is currently listed as being "Free To Caller", whereas I was expecting it would either cost 10p or 20p (BT Payphones don't take 5p pieces) or be subject to the full 60p minimum fee for geographic calls but perhaps without the 30 minute time limit before further charges accrue.

Having said that it is just the "Time In Seconds" that is listed as Free to Caller in the same way as for 0800 and 0808 but then the rubric at the top of the list says:-

Quote:
A minimum fee of 60p (including a 40p connection charge) applies to calls from BT public payphones, which will purchase two 10p units of time. Thereafter call time is purchased in 10p units.

Excludes calls to Freephone services.

So I can only conclude that calling 101 is a Freephone call from a BT Payphone.

I can only hope this is the start of a trend since surely it being a Freephone call from a BT Payphone but a chargeable call from a landline or mobile is a very confusing marketing message indeed by the Police.  If it is free from a BT Payphone then I would also expect it to also be free from landlines at least.  This current situation with 101 being free from BT Payphones but not from landlnes recalls for a moment the period when Directory Enquiry Calls to 192 were chargeable from landlines but still free from BT Payphones.

I see that even the Police's own information on this at http://www.police.uk/101/ doesn't correctly describe the situation since they wrongly simply claim:-

Quote:
Why does it cost 15p to call 101?

The 15p cost of the call goes to the telephony providers to cover the cost of carrying the calls. The police and government receive no money from calls to 101.

Everyone calling the police for non-emergency matters now knows exactly how much a call will cost them, and can be assured of equal access whether they are on a pay-as-you-go mobile or a home landline.

The final point is clearly wrong since users of BT Payphones (and also I would suspect private payphones) clearly have superior and therefore unduly favourable access to calling the 101 service on a freephone basis.

Of course I can see the argument as to why it is free from a BT Payphone as some Payphones only take cards and people might not have the right change etc for a cash payphone (also these phones don't take a 5p piece and in addition for card only phones credit card companies often have a minimum charge per transaction of 20p) but why does the same argument not exist for Pay As You Go Mobiles where a customer may have exhausted their credit and be in a position where they cannot add any further credit to call 101.

Also thinking of my discriminatory situation in Spain as an Orange Pay As You Go customer of Orange Spain where I cannot add credit to my phone either on their website or on my phone itself with my UK credit cards but only at a shop or a petrol station I immediately ask myself what a mobile phone customer roaming from overseas in the UK is going to be charged for calling 101.

As soon as the call is allowed to be anything other than free the situation stops being a simple one and access to calling 101 is impeded.  So if a foreign tourist has their wallet stolen on holiday how do they make follow up calls about this if they don't know what calling 101 will cost them. I bet if I explore this issue further I will find overseas roaming customers are either charged nothing or charged extortion prices of £1 per minute or more if they come from outside the EU.

I would also note that the BT Price List at www.bt.com/pricing/homepage.htm remains a totally useless disgrace with documents being in xls zip and various other formats that cannot be simply read as a web page.  Even the Search function did not seem to find me anything meaningful or useful about the cost of calling 101 numbers.
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2012 at 10:21am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Re: 101 - Free To Call From Payphones But Not Elsewher
Reply #209 - Dec 8th, 2012 at 12:54pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 5th, 2012 at 3:52pm:
Because of the 60p minimum charge, BT could not offer the 15p fixed rate from payphones and so decided to make the calls free.

NGMsGhost wrote on Dec 8th, 2012 at 9:44am:
On checking the current BT Payphones price list today at www.bt.com/pricing/current/Call_Charges_boo/3545_d0e5.htm#3545-d0e5 I I was interested and quite surprised to see that 101 is currently listed as being "Free To Caller", whereas I was expecting it would either cost 10p or 20p (BT Payphones don't take 5p pieces) or be subject to the full 60p minimum fee for geographic calls but perhaps without the 30 minute time limit before further charges accrue.

… So I can only conclude that calling 101 is a Freephone call from a BT Payphone.

The situation is indeed unchanged.

Quote:
Quote:
Why does it cost 15p to call 101?

The 15p cost of the call goes to the telephony providers to cover the cost of carrying the calls. The police and government receive no money from calls to 101.

Everyone calling the police for non-emergency matters now knows exactly how much a call will cost them, and can be assured of equal access whether they are on a pay-as-you-go mobile or a home landline.

The final point is clearly wrong since users of BT Payphones (and also I would suspect private payphones) clearly have superior and therefore unduly favourable access to calling the 101 service on a freephone basis.

For what it is worth, this point is true.

The creation of this anomaly was not however sufficient to persuade the Home Office to use taxpayer's money to fully fund calls to 101.

Quote:
I immediately ask myself what a mobile phone customer roaming from overseas in the UK is going to be charged for calling 101.

It is an interesting question as to whether UK roaming operators connect calls to 101. If they do, I would argue that these calls fall within the terms of their agreement to charge 15p per call. (The 15p rate is by agreement between the telcos and the Home Office/ACPO.)

To make a non-emergency call to a UK Police Service from an overseas network, one would need to use its published alternative geographic number. This would obviously work whilst roaming from overseas, at the rate for a call to a UK geographic number.

This alternative geographic number is also available for use by those who may feel disadvantaged by the fact that the 15p 101 fee is waived for payphone callers and can call the alternative more cheaply.

Quote:
the BT Price List at www.bt.com/pricing/homepage.htm

… is not a consumer document.

There is quite enough to criticise in the pricing information that BT offers to its customers, without getting into the detail of this inpenetrable technical garbage intended only for those sad people amongst us who live by spreadsheets and delight in archiving material in zip format. (Yes, that comment includes something of an admission!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge