Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45
Send Topic Print
GPs all over England (not just in South Yorkshire) (Read 891,429 times)
Lukegem

Re: Doctors Surgeries
Reply #255 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:03pm

My docs surgery has gone for one of these numbers too so i will need to search for the geographical number some how and let everyone i know what it is.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #256 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:10pm

Lukegem wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:03pm:
My docs surgery has gone for one of these numbers too so i will need to search for the geographical number some how and let everyone i know what it is.

Write to your MP, sign the petition to the PM and contact your local media. It might be worth doing some research for them like checking what other surgeries in your area use such numbers. You can do this on the NHS website: www.nhs.uk

Where abouts in the country are you?
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:10pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Lukegem

Reply #257 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 7:45pm

Im in Enfield, and i will try contacting the MP etc thanks in the meantime i will try for another number.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #258 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:38am

Anyone that is able to get hold of a copy of the West Sussex County Times  (30.11.2007) there is an interesting letter on page 12 fom someone saying a 2 & 1/2 minute call to their surgery cost 19p, representing a 45% increase on what would have been the old surgery number. Unfortunately the letter does not seem to be on line. Well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #259 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 6:26pm

From their web site. How accurate is this statement?

New Telephone System (October 2007)

From 9th October          Tel: 0844 815 1072        Fax: 0844 815 1073

There has been a lot in the press about the new telephone system that the surgery is installing in October.

You may or may not be aware that part of the GPs contract with the NHS is that surgeries have to have annual patient surveys and act on improving any areas that are highlighted as being a problem.   Most of this survey is about access to the surgery and how easy it is to contact the surgery by telephone.  The results of these surveys and frequent comments from patients are that they do experience difficulties when phoning the surgery.  Comments range from the telephone ringing constantly with no answer, or it is engaged all the time.

Previously we had 2 separate lines for appointments and enquiries, but found that patients often tried each number in turn hoping to get through during busy periods and this causes a great deal of confusion for all.  Calls then had to be manually transferred internally to connect the patient to the correct person/number.  The system had been configured as efficiently as it can be, so to rectify these problems we looked at other systems.

The new system allows you as the patient to choose the most appropriate selection from a single telephone number.  It will then notify you as to how busy the lines are at the time you have called so you can call back at a different time if the problem is not of an urgent nature.

The selection you can choose are as follows and prioritised in order of the most frequently used:

Appointments

Visit requests

Repeat prescriptions

Test results

All other Enquiries

This will also allow us see what selection has been made so the call can be handled in a more efficient manner. 

The cost of calling this new number has caused a lot of confusion and there has been a lot of misquoting of prices in the press.  The calls are charged at BTs local call rate on a standard line, it is NOT a higher rate 0870 type number.  If you have a ‘telephone package’ which promotes ‘free’ local calls they sometimes exclude the 0844 number.  If that is the case, ask your provider to include our number to the free section of your contract.  The cost for a 4 minute call to a 0844 number is under 20p from a landline, but will vary with calls from a mobile.

We have given a great deal of thought before moving to this new system and have canvassed surgeries in West Sussex who have had it installed for some time and there is an overwhelming feeling of success and positive feedback from the patients and staff of those surgeries.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #260 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 6:33pm

sherbert wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 6:26pm:

What is this? Is this a contest to see how many lies we can see in it?   Grin Grin Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2007 at 6:34pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #261 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 7:11pm

sherbert wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 6:26pm:

I do not know about “lies” but here are two significant omissions:

1. “BTs local call rate” is not what BT customers actually pay! They are on “discounted” tariffs known as BT Together and would pay between zero and 19p for a 4 minute call to a local number. A four minute call to a 0844 number always costs 26p. (Both include the call set up fee and VAT, which are commonly omitted). A four minute call from a mobile to a 0844 number would cost up to £1.60.

2. Part of the GPs contract with the NHS is that surgeries cannot receive fees or remuneration from patients, including through “any other person”, whether for their own benefit, or that of another. The revenue share from a 0844 number, even if used to pay for the surgery telephone system, represents a breach of that contract, according to Alan Johnson, the Secretary of State for Health. See this posting

If the system provides benefits to patients then there is no reason to criticise the system itself. It is simply being funded illegally.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with private medicine, where patients pay for the services delivered. That is not however how the NHS works.

Your local PCT is responsible for enforcing the GP’s contract. You may wish to tell them that someone believes that it is being breached.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #262 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 10:03pm

Thanks, I appreciate that. Smiley

IP Logged

HughFisher

Reading
Reply #263 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 11:05pm

Not quite a doctor's surgery, but a dental practice. Can anyone help find a geo no. for ADP Dental Co. Ltd? Big firm with surgeries up and down the country, but I'm only really interested in our local one at 133 Langley Hill, Tilehurst, Reading RG31 4EE. Have searched SayNo site, to no avail, and tried Google, but only the 08448 010013 number is shown. They used to be on 0118 945 6123 (still shown on some sites), but this just responds with a pre-recorded message telling you to ring the 0844 number. Of all the denists listed in Reading, Newbury and Wokingham, they are the only one with a non-geo number!
Tongue

IP Logged

shahab

Reply #264 - Dec 15th, 2007 at 1:52pm

Hi everyone. can enyone find out what is an altenate number for chiltern house medical centre in High wycombe, their number is 08444771848 plz,

thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

fmuckley

Kairdiff, Wales ;)
Reply #265 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 4:32pm

Hello all....

Any one else notice that on the NEG website they have an 0800 number for you to call!!!  Lips Sealed

http://www.networkeuropegroup.com/

and I thought irony died the day Kissenger won the Noble peace prize!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #266 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 1:02pm

fmuckley wrote on Feb 17th, 2008 at 4:32pm:
Hello all....

Any one else notice that on the NEG website they have an 0800 number for you to call!!!  Lips Sealed

http://www.networkeuropegroup.com/

and I thought irony died the day Kissenger won the Noble peace prize!

Most companies give out an 0800 freephone number for sales,(banks, ins, etc) then sting you with the 084/087 numbers after you sign up if you need to contact them.

IP Logged

jimbo2005

Reply #267 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 11:58pm

If this has been mentioned elsewhere I apologise, but if not, this may be of interest.

One I found out about today - it is proposed but not confirmed that Wirral NHS trust is proposing to move Cavandish Surgery in Park Road North, Birkenhead, and Miriam Medical Centre in Laird Street Birkenhead to a new building in Laird  Street, on the site of the old Aldi store.

The consultation the link refers to is current and finishes on 23 April.

The reason I am mentioning this here is that I understand that patients of both surgeries have an A4 form to put their suggestions on on the back page.  The other three pages give an overview of what is proposed.  The picture is an artists impression.  On page 3 it says that "there will be a new telephone service introduced...", to improve service to patients.

I can guess at what is proposed, but I hope not.  I am not under either of these surgeries.  They currently occupy two searate premises, both have 0151 numbers.  However, it is proposed this new building will replace both of them.

The story is at this website, which indicates incorrectly that the consultation is over.

http://www.assuragroup.co.uk/Birkenhead%20to%20benefit%20from%20brand%20new%20me...

No mention of the telephone service is mentioned in the press release.  It may also be worth pointing ouot that in the Q and A section on page 3, it implies that all services will be as they are now.  All patients will be with their existing practices and with their current doctors.  The telephone service is described as a prposed improvement of service to patients.

We cannot be sure it will become an 0844 but it would not surprise me.

Any comments would be appreciated.

IP Logged

jimbo2005

Reply #268 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:38am

Bad news - now there seem to be 166 on the list.  Last week it was 150!

http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/SearchResults.aspx?q=0844&scope=NHSChoices&page=1

The original link posted about the list of surgeries on 0844 no longer works for me.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #269 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:48am

I don't know why you have found only 166 doctors using 0844 because our fellow member SilentCallsVictim has found over 500 on NHS Choices.  

In addition there are at least 200 using 0845 and NEG claim to have over 1200 surgeries signed up to their 0844 system.   We have been unable to independently verify the NEG claimed numbers.  NEG have claimed to be converting 20 to 50 surgeries per month but this appears to be untrue and sheer hype by NEG.  

This is out of a total of about 15000 surgeries nationwide so it seems less than 10% have so far decided to rip off their patients.    It is still well worth our while to continue to fight this scandalous exploitation of NHS patients while 90% of GPs remain with normal phone numbers.   Let the campaign continue!!.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008 at 7:50am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 45
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge