Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45
Send Topic Print
GPs all over England (not just in South Yorkshire) (Read 896,920 times)
Keith

Surrey
Re: GPs all over England (not just in South Yorkshire)
Reply #525 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 10:36am

I have just noted that I also said:

"Also remiss of me to not congratulate Richard Wilson on his campaign."

I meant his 0844 campaign NOT his political ambitions.

FYI (as SCV will testify) Richard has been active in the campaign recently, not least also also contributing on the radio.

I repeat I DO NOT SUPPORT Richard Wilson's political views. I would not have introduced politics to this site, but having been accused of doing so for the record I belong to a different political party (again which SCV can confirm).

I am somewhat taken back by the accusation. In the fight against 0844 I don't care two hoots what, if any, what ones political views are.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #526 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 3:03pm

loddon wrote on Apr 6th, 2013 at 7:08am:
Dave wrote on Apr 3rd, 2013 at 5:48pm:
You are referring to the "premium" (above that of a geographic call), which generally applies to the retail call price.

Yes, and that is what most people will understand by the term "premium".   For most people, and most are using a package, that premium is the total cost of the 084/7 call because their normal marginal cost is zero because their geo calls are prepaid.

In the plural market that exists today, it is not possible to relate to one standard tariff or rate. The amount any individual pays is down to his or her chosen call provider, and this includes any positive or negative differential between different types of call. For this reason I did not refer to "premium" with reference to retail call charges.

Undoubtedly, use of the terms Access Charge and Service Charge will make it much clearer where any premium on the total retail call price is being incurred. Each could be said to be "premiums" in their own right; I was referring to the latter.

loddon wrote on Apr 6th, 2013 at 7:08am:
Dave wrote on Apr 3rd, 2013 at 5:48pm:
  I am referring to the premium attached to the termination payment  ...  .
  Yes, and most people will not have a clue what you are talking about. 

I think this discussion hinges on the point that terms need to be defined carefully and we should not assume that readers are aware of hidden items like termination charges.

I will not avoid discussing a particular subject because of fear that some readers may not have understanding of the topic.

If we avoided speaking about something for which potential readers (or listeners) may not have understanding of, then not a lot would get said! If we had to explain everything in great depth then such communications aren't likely to be received. Both these could apply in any domain.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2013 at 5:19pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #527 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 4:11pm

This discussion has become unnecessarily personal and aggressive in its tone. This is a public forum, which I do not see as being a suitable place for many of the opinions stated above to be aired. It is however for each member to determine what they wish to see placed in the public domain, subject to the forum rules.

The 12 most recent postings have been essentially political in nature, discussing how best to present campaigning arguments and their association with wider political ideals. They have also featured many uses of names and personal pronouns.

I am ready to defend my personal position and attest to the positions I understand to be held by others, however I am not happy at being obliged to do so in public. We are however where we are, unable to direct a wider readership to this forum for briefing on relevant campaigning issues.

Regarding reply #521. Clearly many are unaware of the fact that the Service Charge, which will be brought into the open, is simply the retail cost of the premium attached to the termination payment. Those who request further explanation on this point, and are dissatisfied by confirmation that there are indeed other premium charges which are incurred, may find that their existing understanding of the issues is tested and enhanced as the explanation develops.

Regarding reply #522. It would have been better if the link quoted there had been to the comment by Stuart from which one could look outwards to the wider context, rather than the other way around. The "fantastic post" remark was clearly referring to this comment, however it was left open for the casual reader to misunderstand.

On the disputed point which I made. I believe that some generally worded statements may be considered valid because they are true for a majority, whereas other more specifically worded statements cannot rest on that means of acquiring validity. It is normally best to apply suitable qualification, if that is possible without effectively destroying the point one is making. Often the determination comes down to a political judgement regarding the context of the publication of the statement. On this point, and in the context of this forum, I do not think it appropriate to ignore the cases of those with PAYG arrangements and those who breach the terms of their Call Plans and bundles when discussing the "unbundled tariff".

If the intention was to engage in discussion of the rules regarding "Access Charges", in advance of the imminent publication of the Ofcom proposals, this could have been done more directly - probably best in another thread. Citing comments and statements that are seen to overlook the possibility that the Access Charge will not, in practice, be equated with the charge for a call to geographic number, as it most certainly is not at present, would be an ideal way of starting such a discussion.

It is likely that when the regulations to apply the "unbundled tariff" are submitted to consultation they will face opposition from those who wish to retain the present opacity. The fair telecoms campaign will be keen to ensure the maximum possible public support for the principle of transparency, notwithstanding inevitable quibbles over the detail of the proposals. We hope that clearly expressed public support for the proposals will make it more difficult for those who may wish to oppose them. Yes - that is politics - pure and simple. We do not wish to have to fight an alliance of those who wish for far more radical steps with those who wish to retain the status quo.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #528 - Apr 6th, 2013 at 5:42pm

Thanks for that SCV.

My motives for making the 2nd reference to the web site I highlighted was generated by the fact that the earlier one had caused an increase in discussion locally regarding this surgeries use of 0844 numbers.

I was also very impressed by Stuart's posts, some 12 very lengthy and knowledgeable posts (many several pages long) that anyone here would be proud of. The total number of posts is currently 49 (so hardly a 'passing reference to 0844' as suggested, I assume by mistake)

I was also aware that I was congratulating Stuart, but not Richard who had started this in the first place on his blog. It would seem churlish of me not to congratulate him just because this was on a political web site, so I was upset by the accusation that I was promoting a political campaign. Something which I wasn't doing and bizarrely I don't even actually share the political views of this particular blog so it would be very odd for me to promote it.

In my earlier post 511 I also made some references to particular locations in two other sites without explaining why. That was deliberate. If you go to them you will see why and although I'm probably being over cautious I think that was prudent to do so.

I would like to reiterate again I was making people aware of a very positive active campaign and some very good posts. I have no interest in the political campaign of Richard Wilson. I don't know him, I don't live in the area in which he lives and I don't share his political views.

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #529 - Apr 10th, 2013 at 11:50am

Cheers for the call Loddon. Much appreciated.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #530 - Apr 18th, 2013 at 11:00pm

Three weeks after the NHS in England was reorganisaed, with PCT Clusters being replaced by CCGs (Clinical Commissioning Groups), a group of surgeries in Warrington are about to switch to using a 0844 number.

Chapelford Health & Wellbeing will change its phone number on Monday 22nd April. It has put together a two-page leaflet on the change.

It states “The cost of calling the practice from a LANDLINE once the 0844 number is in place will be no greater than the cost of any normal local call for which you are currently being charged.

“The cost of calling the practice from a MOBILE however will carry with it an extra cost. We therefore advise you to use your landline for the purpose of making calls to the practice in order to secure an appointment, enquire for test results or order your prescription.”

The advice not to use a mobile is of little use to those in households which do not have a landline - 15% of the UK. Landline using patients who feel that have been charged for normal local calls by paying their subscription to a Call Plan (all of which exclude 0844 calls) may be surprised to find that perhaps the only charged calls on their phone bill are those to the practice.

The reference to relative call costs is to the “penalty charge” imposed on landline users who (abnormally) call local numbers outside the terms of their chosen Call Plan. Landline call providers (including BT and Virgin Media) confirm that the overwhelming majority of calls to geographic numbers are made without charge. The (marginal) cost of a “normal” local call is therefore zero.

The GMS Contract has been revised. The Clause that is relevant here used to be 29B, but is now 7.4.

Edited:
Corrected clause number to 7.4.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2013 at 10:18pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #531 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 1:52pm

Dave wrote on Apr 18th, 2013 at 11:00pm:
It states “The cost of calling the practice from a LANDLINE once the 0844 number is in place will be no greater than the cost of any normal local call for which you are currently being charged.

That bit, with the highlighted proviso, is probably true for BT lines at least. However, this bit is not for the majority and should be challenged by the patients:

"Please remember we are making these changes because you said we needed to improve your telephone access. That is exactly what we are doing. It has increased our costs in regard to installation and maintenance but it will not increase your costs unless you choose to use your mobile phone."
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2013 at 1:53pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #532 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:01pm

kasg wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 1:52pm:

That bit, with the highlighted proviso, is probably true for BT lines at least. …

BT has said that its Unlimited Anytime Calling Plan is its most popular. All patients subscribed to it will pay more.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #533 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:14pm

Dave wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:01pm:
kasg wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 1:52pm:

That bit, with the highlighted proviso, is probably true for BT lines at least. …

BT has said that its Unlimited Anytime Calling Plan is its most popular. All patients subscribed to it will pay more.

Yes, that was exactly my point. It is only the highlighted part that makes the statement true, but they effectively contradict it in the other part I quoted.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:18pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #534 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:54pm

The GMS Contract has been revised. The Clause that is relevant here used to be 29B, but is now 7.14.

I think the Clause is 7.4 --- and sub-paragraphs 7.4.1 to 7.4.6.   Perhaps this note should also be put on the other threads referring to this GPs contract ?

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #535 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:03pm

kasg wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 2:14pm:
… Yes, that was exactly my point. It is only the highlighted part that makes the statement true, but they effectively contradict it in the other part I quoted.

See the fair telecoms campaign news release, which addresses the points discussed above.

Those who may wish to follow all news from the fair telecoms campaign can view our feed and arrange to get updates at http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/news-feed.html.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #536 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 4:40pm

loddon wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
… I think the Clause is 7.4 --- and sub-paragraphs 7.4.1 to 7.4.6.   Perhaps this note should also be put on the other threads referring to this GPs contract ?

That is correct (as may be seen by following the correctly formed link). The prohibition on new or renewed arrangements is in 7.4.1.

Action for breach of contract with effect from 1 April 2013 would have to be made with reference to the current contract (which retains the same terms, although re-numbered) and be taken by NHS England, which has inherited this duty from the PCTs, which are now abolished.

Local responsibility for enforcement rests with the Primary Care Commissioning Group of each of the 27 Local Area Teams covering England. These teams are a consolidation of the 50 PCT Clusters, which were a consolidation of 143 PCTs. Unlike PCTs, which were legally autonomous - i.e. subject only to Guidance on how to interpret the terms of the standard contract, LATs are under direction from a central team setting policy for all of England. When this team has had a chance to get up and running and on top of this issue we expect to see developments.

Older postings referring to the contract for previous years must remain correct as they stand. One problem is that the published earlier versions of the contract have been archived and so are not immediately accessible.

Please get in touch (by PM or via fairtelecoms.org.uk) for advice on archived documents and on coordinated representations on policy issues.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #537 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 7:44pm

Source: Telegraph & Argus

Doctors still charging patients premium rates to phone surgeries

Quote:
The practice manager of one of those surgeries, Ashwell Medical Centre in Manningham, admitted the situation was “unpalatable” but he said it was locked into a contract of more than five years with its telephone system provider and would have to pay the equivalent of the cost of a nurse to break it.

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #538 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:13pm

Dave wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 7:44pm:
Quote:
The practice manager of one of those surgeries, Ashwell Medical Centre in Manningham, admitted the situation was “unpalatable” but he said it was locked into a contract of more than five years with its telephone system provider and would have to pay the equivalent of the cost of a nurse to break it.

Is there any evidence that telephone system providers will not permit migration to the 0344 equivalent without penalty (which I accept would cost the surgery more, but hopefully not the cost of a nurse)? If so, are they allowed to do this?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #539 - Apr 19th, 2013 at 10:21pm

kasg wrote on Apr 19th, 2013 at 8:13pm:
… Is there any evidence that telephone system providers will not permit migration to the 0344 equivalent without penalty (which I accept would cost the surgery more, but hopefully not the cost of a nurse)? If so, are they allowed to do this?

Firstly, one cannot see what valid reason could be offered by a telephone system provider to justify refusing migration without penalty - this is the norm in the industry! The provider's own interests are fully protected, given that its customer is ready and able to meet the unsubsidised cost of its services.

For a NHS GP, responsible for selecting whatever telephone system it wishes to use in delivering NHS services, it is quite "reasonable" for it to be expected to meet the cost of its chosen system. That is what the majority of GPs do, and what all are required to do under the terms of their NHS contract.

Enquiries to every PCT in England, some of which were handled as FOI requests, failed to produce any evidence whatsoever of a refusal to permit migration by a GP from a 084 number to the equivalent 034 number.

I see the lack of such evidence from any GP, which maintains that it is unable "to ensure that, having regard to the arrangement as a whole, persons will not pay more to make relevant calls than they would to make equivalent calls to a geographical number", as clear proof that it has failed to adequately "consider … varying the terms of the arrangement".

(I refer, in particular, to the clause numbered 7.4.3(a) in the 2013/4 contract.)

It is frustrating to have to keep coming back to this point by precise reference to the wording of the terms, when the DH and the BMA GPC should have clarified the position regarding 034 migration with NEG (as it was then) and Kingston Communications, as the contract revisions were being introduced. The drafting of the reference to "no greater cost than that of a call to a geographic number" almost echoes the Ofcom regulations covering 03, and the reference to variation of the terms of the arrangement (as opposed to termination) is readily interpreted as referring to migration. Guidance on this issue could then have been published at the time.

The reasons why this was not done then are complex. The situation has however now changed with the replacement of many individual PCTs by the single body, NHS England. NHS England is in a position to make a well-informed single determination on interpretation and direct that this be followed in all cases.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge