Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Travel News (Read 14,319 times)
japitts

North Bristol
BBC Travel News
Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:57pm

The database lists a whole load of 0800 & 01/02 numbers for BBC Travel news in various regions - they now have a global 03 number (0330 1230184) that serves all regions, and is probably a better option than their individual numbers for particular stations.

For example, BBC Bristol use 0845 9006949, BBC Somerset 9006955 for the studio number, both of which have working geographic alternatives. Would it be possible to cross-reference these in the database, so searches against the 0845 ones pick up the alternatives?

For example... I have successfully used:

0330 1230184 goes into an IVR from where you can choose the region you need.
0800 0725206 I'm pretty sure, does the same - as does 0800 435852
0117 9746878 is a direct alternative to BBC Bristol's 0845 number - this goes to the travel desk within the Bristol newsroom, so I guess could be a better option if you had something very local to report.

Quite why they persist with 0845 when some other regions broadcast 01x numbers is still beyond me, but still. I'm sure this is repeated across all BBC regions
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:58pm by japitts »  
WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: BBC Travel News
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:04pm

japitts wrote on Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:57pm:
The database lists a whole load of 0800 & 01/02 numbers for BBC Travel news in various regions - they now have a global 03 number (0330 1230184) that serves all regions, and is probably a better option than their individual numbers for particular stations.

For example, BBC Bristol use 0845 9006949, BBC Somerset 9006955 for the studio number, both of which have working geographic alternatives. Would it be possible to cross-reference these in the database, so searches against the 0845 ones pick up the alternatives?

For example... I have successfully used:

0330 1230184 goes into an IVR from where you can choose the region you need.
0800 0725206 I'm pretty sure, does the same - as does 0800 435852
0117 9746878 is a direct alternative to BBC Bristol's 0845 number - this goes to the travel desk within the Bristol newsroom, so I guess could be a better option if you had something very local to report.

Quite why they persist with 0845 when some other regions broadcast 01x numbers is still beyond me, but still. I'm sure this is repeated across all BBC regions

Hello japitts,

1stly welcome to SayNoTo0870,

May I ask where you got the national 03 number from? Is there a weblink you can provide me with?

I can then work with Dave to re update the Database.

Kind regards,

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 7:37pm

Hi CJT-80!

The link that you require is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/

Hope this answers your question.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 8:35pm

Have JUST listened to BBC Sussex Travel News who continue to give out an 0845 number. Sadly I didn't have time to note it.

Will continue to look into this,

Many Thanks to JameBond for the link.

On a seperate note, I complained to the BBC over their use of 0845 numbers, lets just say the reply was hardly great

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:23pm

Pressure needs to be put on each of the BBC local radio stations that retain their 0845 numbers for phone-ins and traffic reports.

They are very wedded to these numbers, which they adopted when 0845 enabled landline callers from more remote parts of their area to call at local rate. That is now a long time ago, but many have not recognised that this benefit no longer applies and that 0845 calls are charged at a premium for many callers.

I am not sure if it is intended that the 0330 number must break the link between a local listener and the station's own traffic news desk! This direct connection with their community is seen as important to them. If they have a valued or memorable number, then a switch to the 0345 equivalent should be recommended. Where a number of distinct dialling code areas are served (and there is a concern about appearing biased), a neutral 03 number may be preferred over a local number in one particular town.

This topic was discussed at some length around this posting.

I am still holding a list of 0845 numbers used by the BBC which was presented to me in response to a FOI request some two years ago. If anyone now wishes to use this information I would be delighted to pass it on.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:28pm

SCV, here is the reply I got from BBC Complaints as to why BBC Surrey has an 03 number and BBC Sussex an 0845 number:

Thanks for contacting the BBC. We apologise for the severe delay in replying. We appreciate our correspondents expect a quick response and we regret you‘ve had to wait so long on this occasion.

We appreciate you were unhappy that the BBC Radio Sussex number begins with 0845, whereas the BBC Radio Surrey's is an 03 number.

Some years ago local radio moved to 0845 numbers as a way of having non-geographic lines - i.e. there was no guarantee that the calls would be cheap but they would be charged at local rate - wherever the caller called from and would be the same for everyone. This is still the case for landlines - any call from a landline anywhere in the UK will be charged at local call rate:

0845 numbers are charged at local rate, which is 3.4p at peak time, 1.7p evening & 0.6p on weekends.

This is what was in place for what was then, BBC Southern Counties Radio. When the station re-branded in 2009 to become BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey, they had to assign the number to one of the services and find a new solution for the other. The 0845 number was kept for Sussex. They then investigated a separate number for BBC Surrey and, in accordance with BBC policy, looked for the option which was generally cheapest for callers. This turned out to be an 0370 number. These numbers mean that calls from anywhere will always be charged at the lowest rate available, although often these charges and those for an 0845 number will be the same.

0370 calls cost no more than 01 and 02 geographic landline numbers and are included in discount packages for both fixed-line and mobile phones.

The main difference is the cost of calling from mobiles - 0370 numbers will still be charged at the same rate as a call to a 01 or 02 number, whereas a call to an 0845 number may be higher, depending on the service provider and tariff.

The BBC now aims to only set up new systems with 0370 numbers and the intention is to move all the 0845 numbers to 0370 or an equivalent over a period of time. This is no easy task as there are very many 0845 numbers in use. It will happen, but BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey have no control over the timescale as it is being managed by a different department within the BBC.

Whilst we hope this clarifies the matter, we’d assure you your concerns were registered on our audience log, which is a daily report of audience feedback that’s circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to contact us

I would be greatful of any suggestions we can make to try and speed the "change" to 03 numbers along.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 12:42am

CJT-80 wrote on Apr 21st, 2011 at 9:28pm:
I would be greatful of any suggestions we can make to try and speed the "change" to 03 numbers along.

The reply is a bit confused about charging - the rates are out of date and they forget that not all landline calls are made at BT rates. The principle that 03 is best is however accepted.

My own engagement with the BBC over this has not identified a central department that is managing the numbers used by local stations. If there is such a department then the person responsible needs to be identified and subjected to (initially) polite pressure and clearly advised about the costs which many callers will be incurring.

I recently did a piece on BBC Radio Solent about GPs with expensive 0844 numbers, where the presenter had to ask listeners to call a 0845 number to offer their opinions. We discuss this point at the end of this clip.

The situation was clearly put before listeners - they had the chance to comment by text and email; I am sure that a lot of comments about the station's own number would have caused a response. If very few were made, it is easy to see how nothing would be done about it! (It is possible that an overwhelming majority of those who do not prefer to communicate by email or text message have BT landlines and are therefore currently protected from paying a surcharge to call 0845.)

There is a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, and widespread ignorance that 03 is the ready and fully acceptable alternative for many situations. Ofcom is largely to blame for not having been sufficiently proactive in promoting 03, although some of this blame must be shared with the Cabinet Office, which pulled out of what could have been a major project for widespread public sector adoption, due to a silly squabble.

A local campaign centred on one station could be effective, if public concern could be mobilised, perhaps through a local newspaper. If Ofcom moves ahead to take forward the proposals covered in its recent consultation, then this will have a major effect on awareness.

(I have other campaigning priorities at present, but will be happy to lend any support I can on this.)

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 7:42am

The BBC reply quoted in post #4 is clearly constructed from cut and pastes of various old documents and replies and contains the usual obfuscation associated with the old arguments (the writer is obviously floundering and apparently viewed the need to come up with convoluted rhetoric more important than accuracy).

But it came from the BBC so that's to be expected.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2011 at 7:43am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 9:40am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 12:42am:
There is a lot of misunderstanding about this issue, and widespread ignorance that 03 is the ready and fully acceptable alternative for many situations. Ofcom is largely to blame for not having been sufficiently proactive in promoting 03, although some of this blame must be shared with the Cabinet Office, which pulled out of what could have been a major project for widespread public sector adoption, due to a silly squabble.

Could you elaborate on this project/squabble? It intrigues me!

Thanks

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2011 at 9:07pm

japitts wrote on Apr 26th, 2011 at 9:40am:
Could you elaborate on this project/squabble? It intrigues me!

This is strictly off-topic, so if further discussion is necessary, we should get shifted off into a new thread.

In December 2006, Sir David Varney published his report -  Service transformation: A better service for citizens and businesses, a better deal for the taxpayer.

Varney proposed - Quote:
implementation of a public sector wide number strategy, utilising the new 0300 number range, to simplify access and tariffs for citizens and businesses to all departments and local authorities

Ofcom has always followed the principle of allocating blocks of numbers to telephone service providers. The proposed plan for implementation of the Varney strategy would have involved the Cabinet Office taking control of the numbers used by every public sector body. An outline plan was drawn up to use a two-dimensional matrix for allocating ranges and sub-ranges by department and function. It would have been for the respective public body to select the telephone service provider to deliver service on "their" number, by following normal tendering procedures.

It was not possible to reconcile these two conflicting principles for number allocation - this is said to be the reason why the Cabinet Office project could not go ahead. I have not heard enough of the exchanges that took place to determine which of the two parties was primarily responsible for the failure to reach a suitable accommodation and to be sure that this was the sole reason for the project being abandoned. It is however notable that on failing to implement its grand plan for taking over the task of allocating numbers to all of the public sector in the UK, the Cabinet Office gave up on demanding or even promoting use of 03 by public bodies.

This is essentially a history story. I am led to believe that Ofcom's proposed changes are now getting the wheels moving again in Whitehall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge