Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Telephone Preference Servie & unsolicited calls (Read 10,093 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Telephone Preference Servie & unsolicited calls
Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:13pm

I couldn't find another thread on this subject, although TPS is mentioned in some, so I have started a new thread.   We are having a problem with this number calling us 0800 953 9090 which, when googled brings up numerous complaints on whocallsme & moneysavingexpert & seems to relate to either CC International or CCA International who are either calling for BT or claiming to do so.  We haven't answered any calls from this number which are now growing in number daily, they do not leave any message; however it links back to an earlier call a few weeks ago from someone claiming to be "from BT" with the number withheld and which I reported to OFCOM as I felt that organisations should not be allowed to claim they were something they were not nor should BT be making unsolicited sales calls to those not their customers, as we are not.  Having a phone number and company name for these latest calls, I again reported it to OFCOM saying they should now be able to take action (response awaited!), and copied this to my telephone provider as it seems this CCI or CCAI are trying to change people's phone packages and I was concerned they might try this without our knowledge as has been reported elsewhere.  This morning my telephone provider rang me & explained there was little they could do other than offer "choose to refuse" but thanked me for alerting them.  In the course of conversation, we discussed TPS & the person told me that thye had recently had cause to call TPS for a customer and been told that being registered on TPS can only prevent physically dialled calls, NOT those gernerated digitally or by computer which seems incredible.  If true, it mean that the TPS service hasn't developed since I first registered with it in the 1980s!   Surely now the vast majority of unwanted/unsolicited sales calls are generated digitally or by computer?  Does anyone else know if this is indeed correct because if so, should this not be another campaign to bring TPS out of the land of the dinosaurs & into the 21st century?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Re: Telephone Preference Servie & unsolicited call
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:33pm

From the TPS web site  http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/news2.html

Silent Calls

Silent calls are generated from the use of 'automated diallers'. When these are incorrectly set, more numbers are dialled than there are operators available to take the calls. If the purpose of the call was to sell you a product or service, then registering on TPS will reduce these.
However companies use automated diallers for things such as debt collection, market research etc. and TPS will not reduce these. Please see the Guidance Notes which the Information Commissioner's Office have produced - Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and the Ofcom website http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/features/slentcall

If you want to reduce these types of calls there is a separate service called Silent CallGard. You can register with them by calling 0844 3722325.

Hope this is of some help to you Barbara.

Best wishes

Sherbert

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:51pm

Thanks, sherbert, for the time being I am just letting the answerphone kick in (it has no personalised message so the caller cannot be 100% certain who they've called) and if I get really angry, I shall swear at them & tell what they can do with themselves!  I don't know if these people would speak if I answered, the withheld number one a few weeks ago did, that's how I know they were claiming to be BT, with this lot they wait until the end of the answerphone message, presumably to see if we do answer, before they cut the call so I don't think it is a true "silent call", merely that they choose not to speak. 

My point is that really TPS is now very outdated and needs to get up to date with the technology and that OFCOM should start taking these matters seriously, they are there I think to act on behalf of the public and the public is suffering unnecessary harrassment from these organisations, I accept they can't do much if numbers are withheld but in this case, that is not the situation.  If you look at the forum on this on whocallsme, loads of people have complained to BT with very little result yet this organisaiton is claiming to be part of or working for BT!   Of course, another answer could be for there to be an "opt in" system for marketing calls which a customer decided when setting up their line with their provider and a ban on auto-dialling.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 4:24pm

Yes, I had one of these call that was supposed to be from BT. They told me what broadband option I was on and then asked if I paid by direct debit, I said, ' if you are from BT, you should know.'  They ignored that comment and asked if I was interested in converting to fibre optic as it is available now down in my neck of the woods. (That bit is true)  Having ignored countless emails and letters about this subject,from BT ( as for me the extra £6 a month that they would charge me would not be worth it) I was now getting bored and said that I was not interested and hung up. I still have my doubts whether this call was actually from BT. Me thinks it was some kind of scam. Angry

I guess SCV will no doubt be responding to your post, as it is one of his favourite subjects. Grin
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011 at 4:26pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:47pm

Margaret. If you call the number you get a BT announcement saying you have been called by one of there partners CCA Intl.

It tells you that you can find there approved partners at www.bt.com/partners

The message also  gives the BT customer service number, 0800 028 22 72, and says if you ring it you can be asked to be removed from the calling list.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:48pm by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 9:47pm

Barbara wrote on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:13pm:
… This morning my telephone provider rang me & explained there was little they could do other than offer "choose to refuse" but thanked me for alerting them.  In the course of conversation, we discussed TPS & the person told me that thye had recently had cause to call TPS for a customer and been told that being registered on TPS can only prevent physically dialled calls, NOT those gernerated digitally or by computer which seems incredible.  If true, it mean that the TPS service hasn't developed since I first registered with it in the 1980s!   Surely now the vast majority of unwanted/unsolicited sales calls are generated digitally or by computer?  Does anyone else know if this is indeed correct because if so, should this not be another campaign to bring TPS out of the land of the dinosaurs & into the 21st century?

The suggestion that the TPS can prevent any call from being made is quite fanciful!

The TPS compiles a list of telephone users who do not wish to be called by companies for marketing purposes. It is then up to companies to ensure they don't call any individuals on the TPS' list. It seems logical to assume that it's up to them how they do it, but the outcome must be that they do not call anyone on the list.

There are two clear types of marketing caller:

1. Those which play by the rules and screen their outgoing calls against TPS.
2. Those with malicious intent, often known as scammers. Clearly, they aren't going to go about ensuring that they respect the TPS register anyway and in any just world, they wouldn't be ringing people, irrespective of whether they are TPS registered or not.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:18pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:05pm

Barbara wrote on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 3:51pm:
My point is that really TPS is now very outdated and needs to get up to date with the technology and that OFCOM should start taking these matters seriously, they are there I think to act on behalf of the public and the public is suffering unnecessary harrassment from these organisations, I accept they can't do much if numbers are withheld but in this case, that is not the situation.  If you look at the forum on this on whocallsme, loads of people have complained to BT with very little result yet this organisaiton is claiming to be part of or working for BT!   Of course, another answer could be for there to be an "opt in" system for marketing calls which a customer decided when setting up their line with their provider and a ban on auto-dialling.

As someone who is very technologically minded, I cannot see how the TPS could possibly achieve the aims you are suggesting it should.

What you are suggesting is that a third party, which isn't involved in the origination, transit or delivery of any telephone call, could prevent telephone calls.

bigjohn wrote on Jun 22nd, 2011 at 8:47pm:
Margaret. If you call the number you get a BT announcement saying you have been called by one of there partners CCA Intl.

It tells you that you can find there approved partners at www.bt.com/partners

Indeed. Thanks bigjohn, I was going to mention that address but you beat me too it. I got that when I was called by a company on behalf of BT and it goes to a page which gives the names, addresses and contact numbers for all the outsourcing companies it uses.

On it, there is:

CCA International
Arnold House
21-33 Great Eastern Street
London
EC2A 3EJ

Tel: 020 7418 4218
www.ccainternational.com/en

Scammers often claim that they are calling from large companies well known companies, so just because someone says that they are from a particular company does not necessarily mean that they are.

However, the fact that this number gives the recorded message bigjohn says it does rather shortens the odds that this is a genuine call from CCA International on behalf of BT.

I would enquire, using the published 020 number, as to whether it really was CCA calling, and if so why.

As no calls have been answered, there is no evidence that they intended to call Barbara. It could be that the number is recorded as being someone else's.

As I say, the most effective way to achieving the end of getting the calls stopped is to ring the 020 number and explain the situation. I'm sure that any upstanding company will see that it doesn't call you again.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2011 at 10:22pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 9:44am

Dave, thanks, it is extremely unlikely they meant to call anyone else as this number was allocated to us when we moved (Dec 2010), it's not the number of the previous resident.  Regarding contacting BT, a number of those posting on whocallsme had done that and been very dissatisfied with the response, it was either going to take ages to be removed from the list or BT were very unhelpful, in one case though at least BT had offered to stop marketing calls for the poster which seemed odd & led partly to my thoughts that TPS could do more with all the advances in technology (no, I'm not technie at all hence my thoughts are probably more a pipe dream) but I do have to question what a supposedly respectable organisation like BT is doing having partners who cold call people registered with TPS who are not even BT customers - surely that is a moral if not legal breach of all the rules?   We had yet another call yesterday evening which we again ignored, this time they didn't even wait for the answerphone so we hope they're getting bored!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge