Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are 0845 numbers bad for business? (Read 10,610 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Are 0845 numbers bad for business?
Jun 24th, 2011 at 2:52pm

I've come across this interesting blogging asking Are 0845 numbers bad for business?

It's particularly concerned with the travel industry and features comments from companies that don't use these premium numbers.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Re: Are 0845 numbers bad for business?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:06pm

Very interesting points raised - I have to ask, if this blogger can get it and put it over so succinctly, why do so many supposedly intelligent people in both private & public sector organisations using 084Xs fail to understand the issues and even, in most cases, deny the very facts of the matter?   Is there any way of flagging this so that we can use it when arguing against 084Xs?   Often I read things on the forum then forget exactly where I've seen them when the occasion to use them arises.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 6:02pm

Also an interesting (if not slightly unfair) plug for SNT0870.

I would not say the website is ugly, though it could do with some improvement, but I know it's hard to arrange

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

David_H

North London
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 1:00am

Sadly that page seems to have been taken down but can still try and answer the question. I'd say there are a number of cumulative elements, the greatest being monopoly power. If you buy something from Curry's for instance, and they only have an 0844 number (as they do, until you look here anyway), what else is anyone supposed to do? If it's legal then firms will make sure you have no choice.

Then there's ignorance. I'm sure if the majority of people actually read their itemised bills and did the sums they'd start looking for alternatives but people I know seem to accept three figure monthly bills as normal. My monthly calls have been around £6 for a few years but call people regularly. Then I'd expect many people also cheat and call from work or someone else's house who doesn't notice. It's the natural apathy of the British that allows firms to rip them off when making phone calls, have the highest petrol taxes in the world and suffer road humps spreading like mould and just moan in the pub or phone the radio and worry about who wins the X Factor. It's all part of a national malaise and if we could simply put a high voltage up the collective backsides of the British they could join their neighbours across the channel and actually stand up for their rights. Some chance eh...

Global warming is the new religion of the century. Be original and be an atheist.
neasdenparade  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 9:45pm

David_H wrote on Jul 7th, 2011 at 1:00am:
Sadly that page seems to have been taken down ...

Yes it seems to have been taken down but the cached copy is still available here :---   Wink Smiley

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.501places.com/20...

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

rfctabs

Solihull West Midlands
Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 12:15pm

Yes.

Cheesy

IP Logged

501places

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2011 at 12:59pm

Thanks for linking to my original post and for glad to see the debate his continued on this forum. Sincere apologies for the link not working last week - my site was temporarily down but is now back to normal.

Agree that people's apathy is the biggest problem - so many still believe that 'local call rate' automatically means cheaper...

As for the 'ugly comment', no offence meant - you're still near the top of my favourites list  Smiley

IP Logged

rfctabs

Solihull West Midlands
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:46pm

To expand on my rather too concise reply earlier  Roll Eyes

As a rule, if I can't call on 01/02/03/080, I don't deal with the company at all and so they lose business (I must admit to liking the challenge of finding an alternative number, however  Wink).

I see use of 08s as either:

cynical revenue gathering
ignorance (i.e. a small business might really think they're providing a service, unaware of the cost to their customers)
disguise (why don't they want us to know their call centre is in, e.g. Sunderland?)

I also have my own 0844 number that I give as a contact number to such companies if I feel that they are too blatant in their use of 08s (ironically, the Halifax Bank web site rejected it as not a proper number, even though all their contacts are 08s). Sad or what?
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2011 at 4:47pm by rfctabs »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge