Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
H.M.Revenue & Customs number GONE (Read 23,753 times)
scubatony

At my Desk
H.M.Revenue & Customs number GONE
Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:17am

As seen in the search bar when you type in 0845 605 5999.  Cool

You are presented with this information

HM Revenue & Customs (Inland Revenue)    0845 605 5999    
0161 930 8445    
Online Services Helpdesk
Calls from: 01274 894994  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

If you dial
0161 930 8445
, you are told that you have dialled it from the U.K, you are then told to re-dial 0845 605 5999  and the the voices says "goodbye" and the line goes dead.  Cry

If you dial 01274 894 994 this number is now N.U  Cry

Before anybody tries with the 44 wheeze that does not either Cry

My website gives you a great deal on advertising your property. For a VERY minimal cost your property gets international exposure and actively promoted.&&One listing, Thirty photos,365 days £0.99p &&

IP Logged

scubatony

At my Desk
Re: H.M.Revenue & Customs number GONE
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:25am

Just found this from the main Revenue & Customs page

HM Revenue and Customs    0845 915 8447  
0191 213 5000    
Main switchboard number for all NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS ENQUIRIES

If you dial
0191 213 5000
, you are told that you have dialled it from the U.K, you are then told to re-dial 0845 915 8447  and the the voices says "goodbye" and the line goes dead. Cry

My website gives you a great deal on advertising your property. For a VERY minimal cost your property gets international exposure and actively promoted.&&One listing, Thirty photos,365 days £0.99p &&

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:39am

Hello scubatony

which specific HMRC Departments are you trying to contact?

I know HMRC is one of the worst offenders with regards to the use of 0845 contact numbers.

Let us know what departments you are trying to contact, and we will see what info is available

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Golf_Paul

KC Land
Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 11:31am

scubatony wrote on Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:17am:
... Before anybody tries with the 44 wheeze that does not either Cry

Did you mean precede the dialled number with 141?  Have you tried that?

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 12:54pm

141 works.

IP Logged

japitts

North Bristol
Reply #5 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 6:35pm

This number also works, without 141, at weekends certainly - it diverts to the security control person who seemed to think the switchboard answers  it during the week.

WWW 41410672 pittsjon jonpittsaim  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #6 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 6:49pm

I've given up phoning them now.  I write instead. 

On average, it takes them 6+ weeks to answer so I write again after 5 weeks asking if the are 'yet in a position to reply to my letteer of xx/xx/xx"

That results in my letter crossing with their reply but as their reply never answers the question(s) I'd originally asked, that doesn't matter because they then answer again (usually, from a completely different city).

I then write to my MP, with copies of the correspondence, complaining about HMRC ineptitude and he gets a reply from HMRC HQ in Westminster answering my original question(s) fully.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Maxadolf

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2011 at 8:10pm

I can confirm the experience of others that using the "overseas" contact number for HMR&C  -  i.e. a geographic no  -  results in a request to use an 0845 number.  However, the good news is that you appear to be able to access the relevant department via the overseas access at weekends.  I have successfully done this on two separate weekends.

I did, however, ask for an explanation in a letter that I sent the HMR&C for the justification of using an 0845 number instead of a geographic one, pointing out that in Bliar's time there were promises to revert to geographic numbers.

The reply was from a Customer Advisor by the name of
** name removed **
from whose letter I quote:

Contact Centres are accessed via 0845 numbers.  As well as being the most cost-effective numbers for the majority of our customers, 0845 numbers will enable us to meet the Department's aim to create a "virtual" access for customers, whereby calls from anywhere in the country can be efficiently handled in any Contact Centre location.  THis will creeate better flexibility for managing call volumes and will Revenue and Customs Contact Centres to better match staffing resources to meet requirements.

The 0845 numbers are used to be fair to all of our customers, many of whom live hundreds of miles from their tax office and were paying long distance and not local call charges.  These numbers were introduced to enable our Contact Centres to use the advanced network functionality that 0845 (and other non-geographic) numbers alloow, thereby creating better flexibility for dealing with telephone calls.

Since deregulation of telephone services, the number of supplier's (sic) and tariffs available has expanded enormously.  Each supplier should include details regarding non-geographic calls in their information, but obviously HMRC can not legislate for individual's preference for supplier or tariff.

Of course many people do decide to have reduced or even free telephone calls for STD numbers whereas others do not.  However using STD numbers would not allow us to supply the flexibility of call handling that we want as a department and as such wider customer service would suffer.   Also our policy is to be fair to all of our customers no matter where they are calling from in the UK, and no matter what type of arrangement they have with their own telephone company.   Consequently, we see the use of the national 0845 number as the best way to achieve this.
[i]

Well Mr
** name removed **
you certainly have once again demonstrated just what a bunch of half wits the HMRC employs, but it's given some of us a bit of a laugh!

Edited:
Name removed by Dave.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2011 at 8:23pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 3:38am

Maxadolf wrote on Sep 3rd, 2011 at 8:10pm:
... you certainly have once again demonstrated just what a bunch of half wits the HMRC employs, but it's given some of us a bit of a laugh!

I fear that the accusation made goes up to the Chief Executive of HMRC, Dame Lesley Strathie, who recently presented similar nonsense when giving evidence to a House of Commons committee.

There are three flaws in the argument presented, in all cases relating to issues which have changed over time:

1. Ignorance of the option to use 03 numbers.

2. Continued reference to now irrelevant circumstances which applied before 2004.

3. A failure to recognise that BT only originates around 50% of residential landline calls.

The significant omission is the failure to acknowledge that the least well off do not necessarily have the same array of choices enjoyed by the rest of us. Those in receipt of benefits who subscribe to BT Basic and those who use mobile phones or public payphones because they cannot get a landline, all pay a significant premium to call 0845 numbers.

It is also quite improper for a public body to suggest that it favours the customers of particular providers in a market.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge