118 FREECALL (Read 29,588 times)
bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
118 FREECALL
Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:19am

Hi Everybody

If you recall I first contacted members in regard to "RingLocal" the free alternative 118 service - it is now "118FREECALL"

At long last today 01/08/2011 is the launch "118FREECALL" this service provides a FREE alternative 118 service. I cannot provide you with the FREE 118 number at present becaue we do not have the staff to answer the phones. The service is to be launched in Barnsley and then only promoted in certain areas, our biggest fear is that we will not be able to cope with the number of calls that we anticipate if the service is widely known before we have additional resources.

If there is anybody out there that is interested in assisting me with this FREE alternative 118 service and you have broadband and a landline telephone number please contact me via a pm personal message. or aom@blueyonder.co.uk

I am also very interested in the feedback of members.

Regards

The previous thread started by Bazzerfewi on his "Alternative Lo-Call 118 Service" is here.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2011 at 11:33pm by Dave »  
WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: 118 FREECALL
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 4:37pm

There are many who move swiftly into cynical mode on hearing the word "free" when related to a service that obviously costs money to operate.

We look forward to hearing of just how this works. Who pays the bills?

Cynicism is not dispelled on hearing that the service has been "launched" without any staff to operate it and without being able to announce its number.

It seems a little silly to invite people to say that they would perhaps never use a free service, without any idea of what benefit it could offer them. "Always" and "never" are not necessarily the only responses that people may wish to give.

We are keen to know more.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:01pm

In reply to silent victim:-

Funding - This service is FREE to the caller because the revenue is created from the paying clients and advertisers and subscribers calls are transferred both automatically and manually depending on the service.

I did not say that there wasn't anybody to operate it - I said that we only have limited resources at present.

I was just asking if any members wished to assist in some way, and what the opinion is. I have been a member of this site for a long time and I was just asking for feed back.

The number is 0800 1185118 and it will be live by Friday this should dispel any disbelievers

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:44pm

I think that the question "How can it be free?" must be a FAQ on the website and any other relevant literature it publishes.

What is the website address for 118FREECALL? I went to www.ringlocal.co.uk expecting to be forwarded on and Googled the name but only came up with this thread.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:09pm

I note that there are some other 'free' 118 services.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/directory-enquiries-free

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #5 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:29pm

I am sorry if I have mislead anybody it was not intentional, I have had a few technical issues "Teething Problems" that I didn't anticipate. 

The FREEPHONE number is active all be it in a trail capacity and the web site will be updated as soon as possible. All these issues should have been sorted and I do appologise.

This is a truly FREE 118 SERVICE the caller will never have to pay to Find a number. HOW DO WE DO IT we are forming a workers cooperative and the operators will answer calls and they will only receive commission on calls answered.

Where does the revenue come from -  the clients pay a monthly fee and also pay an inclusive call received charge. We match customers and clients and research suggests that both the customer in happy becuase they do not pay anything and the client is happy because the fees they pay to 118FREECALL is loose change compared to a local advert and they are matched to the customer every time.

I hope that this clears everthing up for members.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:34pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 6:01pm:
In reply to silent victim:-.....

Thanks for the limited information.

Given that the service will only be accepting calls from the Barnsley area, many of us will have to wait a while before our doubts can be dispelled by experience.

It is implied that all calls are transferred! As the service is free to the caller, then this is either a most radical step in the development of DQ services or a highly selective service that only offers contact with those who are sufficiently desperate to promote their business as to meet the telephone costs of callers.

A quick scan of pizza delivery services in Barnsley reveals no 0800 numbers. Would 118Freecall be expecting to capture all of these calls from those who pay for geographic, but not 0800, calls?

UPDATE

The above was posted just as the immediately previous posting appeared.

I now understand that the service is restricted only to businesses that subscribe. (Please correct me if I misunderstand.)

As you have now launched the service is it a little late to offer further comment on the concept.

It will be interesting to hear how you get on.

FURTHER UPDATE

I now understand that I was wrong to believe the previous posting.

I think that it is radical to expect your clients to provide with the revenue that enables you to refer callers to their competitors when the competitor has paid you nothing.

You also have a rather odd view about the concept of a worker's cooperative!
« Last Edit: Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:01pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:50pm

I am sorry Silent Victim - but you are SO WRONG!!!!!

the caller will either be given the number verbally if the service provider is not a client or they will be connected directly to the company, there is nothing radical about it, all the services being used are readily available within the market place all we have done is used them in a different way

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:54pm

"A quick scan of pizza delivery services in Barnsley reveals no 0800 numbers. Would 118Freecall be expecting to capture all of these calls from those who pay for geographic, but not 0800, calls?"

It is the 118 number that is the 0800 number not the different client 0800 numbers

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:05pm

bazzerfewi wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:54pm:
"A quick scan of pizza delivery services in Barnsley reveals no 0800 numbers. Would 118Freecall be expecting to capture all of these calls from those who pay for geographic, but not 0800, calls?"

It is the 118 number that is the 0800 number not the different client 0800 numbers

The quoted comment was based on the assumption (now known to be false) that all calls were forwarded.

I now understand that a caller will be offered free calls to the pizza delivery services registered with 118FREECALL and the numbers of those on lists which 118FREECALL has researched without infringing the copyright of any existing DQ services.

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:29pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:05pm:
bazzerfewi wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 7:54pm:

The quoted comment was based on the assumption (now known to be false) that all calls were forwarded.

I now understand that a caller will be offered free calls to the pizza delivery services registered with 118FREECALL and the numbers of those on lists which 118FREECALL has researched without infringing the copyright of any existing DQ services.

Yes that is correct - Also we have sourced the company that provides data to 118118-BT and Yell, when we have the financial resource we will be in a position to provide the service in alternative areas without the costly research.

118freecall is set to be the truly FREE 118 service in the uk. 0800 1185118 is the number for all but BARNSLEY HAS THE FIRST CALL WE INTEND PROVIDING THE SERVICE TO ONE AND ALL

IP Logged

catj

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:42pm

It's a big mistake to launch before you're ready, and an even bigger mistake to announce the sort-of-non-launch on a major site such as this.

If this was Dragon's Den here, you'd be ripped to shreds.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 9:01pm

catj wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:42pm:
It's a big mistake to launch before you're ready, and an even bigger mistake to announce the sort-of-non-launch on a major site such as this.

I have been trying to work out how to respond to the op and I think catj's response is spot on

IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 9:22pm

YES!!! BUT catj  IT ISN'T DRAGONS DEN AND I WAS ASKING FOR A CONSTRUCTIVE OPINION FROM ONE MEMBER TO ANOTHER NOT AN OFF THE WALL FLIPPANT QUOTE

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 9:39pm

catj wrote on Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:42pm:

We went through the Dragon's Den-style helpful advice stage with Baz some time ago.

He has now done his numbers and secured the investment necessary to launch his service - we should perhaps just wish him well.

Baz does however owe us the courtesy of not over-hyping what it is that he has done.

It seems that it is a modest community project to promote local businesses for now. Not that there is anything wrong in that, but it is unfair on members of this forum to present it as being something much more grand without providing the necessary detail to show it for what it truly is.

It would be much easier not to be flippant in response if we were provided with something other than flippant comments about the nature and the scale of the service.

The most constructive comment I can offer, is one which I offered originally. Ask yourself why nobody else is doing this. Every original idea has to start somewhere, but it is a useful exercise to make sure that you have really seen an opportunity that others have missed.
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2011 at 7:56am by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge