Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The AA - 0844 Breakdown number (Read 60,704 times)
speedy

Dartford
The AA - 0844 Breakdown number
Sep 19th, 2011 at 2:21am

The AA (motoring) have very recently changed their 0800 Breakdown number to Mobiles only should use 0844 I have posted elsewhere on this site regarding my email to them and my leaving the AA and out of curiosity would ask a Tech on here what is the price differance - I am on Orange Pay and G and normal geo numbers cost me 16pp min. ( It is only used for Emergency Breakdown therefore not on monthly type Tarif) e.g Classic Car in middle or nowhere scenario  Cool

This will be used as additional amunition if I ever get a proper reply other than the Out of Office already received
Any Tech help appreciated.

~ Edited by Dave: Thread split off and renamed
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:06am by Dave »  

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Re: 0800 Free To Mobiles
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:37am

The AA website:
http://www.theaa.com/aboutaa/contact.html

The contact details are as follows:
Breakdown cover – sales
0800 085 2721
(Mon–Sun 8am–8pm)
Breakdown cover – existing members
0843 316 4444 or 0161 332 1789
(Mon–Fri 8am–8pm, weekends 9am–5pm)
UK emergency breakdown number
0800 88 77 66 or 0121 275 3746
From mobile phones: 0844 873 0087
(Lines open 24 hours)

You do not need to use the 0843 number as you have a geo number to use:
0161 332 1789
!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: The AA - 0844 Breakdown number
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:05am

speedy wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 2:21am:
The AA (motoring) have very recently changed their 0800 Breakdown number to Mobiles only should use 0844 I have posted elsewhere on this site regarding my email to them and my leaving the AA and out of curiosity would ask a Tech on here what is the price differance - I am on Orange Pay and G and normal geo numbers cost me 16pp min. ( It is only used for Emergency Breakdown therefore not on monthly type Tarif) e.g Classic Car in middle or nowhere scenario  Cool

This will be used as additional amunition if I ever get a proper reply other than the Out of Office already received

Thanks to jamesbond for providing the link to the AA contact page which gives the 0844 number intended for "from mobile phones". This number is listed in our database and I believe has been for a while and has therefore been in existance for a while.

The AA breakdown number is 0800 887766 and it used to have a counterpart for calling from mobile phones: 0845 7 887766, which of course used to be 0345 887766 (when 0345 numbers existed previously).

It would appear that the 0845 number has simply been replaced with 0844 873 0087.

The 0800 and 0121 numbers remain (according to the contact page). I am not so sure that this is the big news it might have at first appeared to have been having read speedy's postings.

Sure, it is a ploy by the AA to charge customers an additional fee for callouts. The provision of an 0844 number for mobile callers:-

1. is a very inefficient method of charging customers. The company benefits around 5 pence per minute, and the majority of call charges go to callers' own mobile providers (up to 36 pence per minute).

2. is another charge which they may well feel agrieved at, having already paid for their policies.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:06am by Dave »  

IP Logged

jamesbond

Suffolk
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:10am

Update: 0161 332 1789 works and then press option 1

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:17am

speedy wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 2:21am:

speedy, Orange publishes its Pay as you Go Price Guide here:

http://www.orange.co.uk/payasyougoguide

No current pay as you go plan charges 16 pence per minute (only 12 pence per minute and 25 pence per minute). Page 18 (page 10 of the PDF) gives the rate of 0844 calls as 40 pence per minute.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:22am by Dave »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:57am

The AA breakdown number is 0121 275 3746 as printed on the back of the 'The AA card'

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:37pm

Thanks Dave for your link to orange - when I got my original Brick in 93 the only tarif was 25p pmin and I was still on that until I bought my Son a Pay & G for AA Breakdown Nov.09 for my peace of mind - I put him on Orange and was told the cheapest call tarif was Racoon then 16p pmin. So changed mine to same - I didnt know any different until your link - Much Thanks   Grin - does that mean that I will only be charged 12p pmin automatically or have I got to make sure it is charged at that - as you can see I dont use it normally - havent tried the camera yet  Embarrassed couldnt text to save my life  Grin

Anyway I have already jumped ship to RAC at £108 per anum fixed for 2years  for same options as AA at £201 because of AA Breakdown from Mobiles 0844
Has anypne got an alternative 01 for RAC 0800 Breakdpwn ?

According to AA reviews it is rapidly going downhill - they are now short of 3000 Patrolmen after they made them Redundant couple years ago
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:48pm by speedy »  

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 9:49am

Remember, nothing is 'like for like'. For example The AA covers you for any car whereas The RAC I believe only covers your car only. Also I understand that The AA do not come out if you are involved in an accident, however that should not be a problem as the insurance company should pick up the bill.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 1:10pm

speedy wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 11:37pm:
Thanks Dave for your link to orange - when I got my original Brick in 93 the only tarif was 25p pmin and I was still on that until I bought my Son a Pay & G for AA Breakdown Nov.09 for my peace of mind - I put him on Orange and was told the cheapest call tarif was Racoon then 16p pmin. So changed mine to same - I didnt know any different until your link - Much Thanks   Grin - does that mean that I will only be charged 12p pmin automatically or have I got to make sure it is charged at that - as you can see I dont use it normally - havent tried the camera yet  Embarrassed couldnt text to save my life  Grin

A guess is that you will have to ask to be transferred to the current offering.

The PDF guide I gave you a link to says to call 343 "to choose Racoon". Other tariffs say you have to call 343, so perhaps it goes to an automated menu.

If you're already on it, then in practice it shouldn't make any difference. If you're not, then you will be moved onto it.

Has anypne got an alternative 01 for RAC 0800 Breakdpwn ?

We did have one.

However, there is a way around the premium charge with mobile services when ringing any "freephone" number. There are a number of services in existance that give you a 01/02/03 number which you ring, and when answered it prompts for the destination 0800/0808/0500 number.

For example, 020 0222 0900. Dial the number and press the green phone off the hook button (or its equivalent on your phone). Once it answers, it will ask you to input the destination number. Enter 0800828282 but do not press the green off hook button again (as that will initiate a second call to the 0800 number which is what you're trying to avoid).

According to AA reviews it is rapidly going downhill - they are now short of 3000 Patrolmen after they made them Redundant couple years ago

I'm not sure how we can know which service is back by the best infrastructure. I think that the answer is we're not - if only we could!

sherbert wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 9:49am:
Remember, nothing is 'like for like'. For example The AA covers you for any car whereas The RAC I believe only covers your car only. Also I understand that The AA do not come out if you are involved in an accident, however that should not be a problem as the insurance company should pick up the bill.

In my experience, most providers (including RAC and AA) offer policies that cover the person (in any vehicle) or the vehicle (with any driver).

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 1:31pm

Dave wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 1:10pm:

In my experience, most providers (including RAC and AA) offer policies that cover the person (in any vehicle) or the vehicle (with any driver).

This is the RAC's rules

You may register 1, 2 or 3 vehicles with us to be covered for any driver.
    This will include providing us with the registration numbers of any vehicles covered under your membership.
    All vehicles listed on your membership must be registered at the membership address.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 2:28pm

sherbert wrote on Sep 20th, 2011 at 1:31pm:

This is the RAC's rules

You may register 1, 2 or 3 vehicles with us to be covered for any driver.
    This will include providing us with the registration numbers of any vehicles covered under your membership.
    All vehicles listed on your membership must be registered at the membership address.

Indeed they are. These terms govern vehicle based cover. They do not give rise to the exclusion of the existance of personal based cover.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2011 at 2:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #11 - Sep 20th, 2011 at 9:49pm

That's right.  I changed recently to having vehicle only cover (my wife has one membership for her car and I have another membership for my car) because, each of us going via our individual Quidco accounts and getting £21 cashback on a £28 vehicle membership (total for the 2 cars is therefore 2 x £7 = £14) was cheaper than husband and wife personal membership.

Suits us better because anyone driving either of our cars has AA roadside cover.

We also have Giffgaff mobiles so calls to 0800 88 77 66 would be free if we had to call it.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2011 at 9:51pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

bazzerfewi
Supreme Member

Baz

Barnsley
Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 7:21am

I have a Pay As You Go Breakdown Service. Road To Recovery www.rtruk.co.uk

Research suggests that an average motorist uses a breakdown service one every 6 years. The call out fee for RTR is £30, this covers any driver in any vehicle with no restrictions. The average recovery charge is £250 but I have never been recovered in the 34 years that I have been driving, and at one time I was averaging 75,000 miles a year.

Most people need recovery for peace of mind and rarely use it.

WWW bazzerfewi aom@blueyonder.co.uk  
IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 1:10pm

Thanks all for your advices and usefull links

I checked before I jumped ship and the RAC now cover the Driver/Member in any car either as Driver or Passenger same as AA - They have seen the Light, I dont know how recently but I particularly double checked before I signed and that I had Roadside/Homestart and Relay same as with AA. AA this year was £201 with Son Assoc.Memb -RAC with Son as Family was £108.  The RAC have 2 Emergency 0800 numbers one for Accident and one for Breakdown,

I will personally visit Carphone Shop where all my phone transactions have been done and get them to check on screen - I have definately been changed to Orange Racoon after I purchased my Son's phone from them on that Orange Tarif and saw that it was a new better deal than my 1993 Orange Tarif.

I will read again your advises on way round Mobile 0800 for myself but will leave my Son on 0800 - too much explaining to do - will just leave it as press RAC for him Grin Grin

Once again Thanks All

IP Logged

blutak

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2011 at 2:55pm

With reference to my posts in "Hall of Shame" (page 11 #156 and #162) I will not be renewing my AA Roadside Assistance membership when it falls due for renewal next March.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge