Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Appalled on reading 'charges' for the 0845 number (Read 9,494 times)
Keith-H Southwark

Appalled on reading 'charges' for the 0845 number
Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:33am

Always thought 0845 numbers had local call rate MAX charge, 4p per min and no connection charges for national calls from BT landlines.

Today got confirmation from Home warm discount scheme, that I'll receive the £120 credit on my electricity bill, very nice.

Appalled on reading 'charges' for the 0845 number quoted  as 9p per min + 12p connection. Surly this is illegal ?

Keith H

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Re: Appalled on reading 'charges' for the 0845 number
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:46am

Keith-H Southwark wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:33am:
Always thought 0845 numbers had local call rate MAX charge, 4p per min and no connection charges for national calls from BT landlines.

Today got confirmation from Home warm discount scheme, that I'll receive the £120 credit on my electricity bill, very nice.

Appalled on reading 'charges' for the 0845 number quoted  as 9p per min + 12p connection. Surly this is illegal ?

Keith H

Chargeable calls from a BT landline to an 0845 number are 13.1p + 2.04p per minute peak or 0.51p per minute off-peak. Where did you get the 9p per minute from and why did you think there should be no connection charge?

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:54am

Welcome to the forum Keith

I fear that you are one of the many victims of the myths about calling 0845 numbers that have been put about mostly by those who use them, rather than the telephone companies.

They would like you to think that it is the telephone companies who are doing something wrong by passing on the cost of the 2p per minute revenue share from which they benefit, in addition to whatever charge the telephone company levies for itself.

In truth, some telephone companies do exploit the situation. This is something that they are perfectly free to do, as it is only BT which is currently regulated in its charges for calls to all 084 and Premium Rate numbers.

I do not immediately recognise the 9ppm + 12p connection figures.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:55am

Keith-H Southwark wrote on Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:33am:

Keith H

Welcome to SayNoTo0870.

Call charges to 0845 numbers are set by each provider. There is no upper limit on charges and any linkage with "local rate" only ever existed with BT's local rate.

The quoted rate of 12p connection plus 9p per minute is meaningless without stating which provider it is applicable to.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2012 at 12:56am by Dave »  

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2012 at 2:56am

Its actually called  Warm Home Discount Scheme   http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensionsandretirementplanning/Benefits/BenefitsInRet...

Who actually sent you the confirmation confirming your credit, was it your energy company,your notice on the 0845 number quoted in the above link they keep silent about the cost.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2012 at 2:57am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge