Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem with landline alternatives to 0845 numbers (Read 29,188 times)
mcstoke

Problem with landline alternatives to 0845 numbers
Feb 13th, 2012 at 10:33pm

HI, I have recently used alternative 01 numbers for three 08 numbers operated by Inland Revenue (08453000627), HSBC (08457662255), and Teachers Pensions (08456066166). In all cases I have definitely used the alternative 01 number but when I got my bill for the month (with T mobile) the numbers still appeared on my bill as 0845 numbers and were charged accordingly (in my case incurring additional charges for the 0845 numbers as I have taken an option for free landline numbers in my phone package). I have spoken to T mobile and they confirm that the 01 numbers are technically still 08 numbers and are charged as such, so the SAYNO campaign fails because the companies are able to circumvent the campaign in this way. I would be interested to know if other members have had the same experience and if they have found a way around this problem?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Problem with landline alternatives to 0845 numbers
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2012 at 10:52pm

Hello and welcome to SayNoTo0870.com.

This thread is on the subject of Virgin Media and calls to Tesco's 01/02 numbers being billed as 0845 and mobile calls.

The principle with telephones is that the caller is charged according to the number they dial. If that is not happening then the operator in question is at fault for billing incorrectly.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 2:01am

Teachers Pension even give the alternative number to use on their site

http://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/contact/contactus.htm

Its just a normal BT Darlington Geographical Number.

So if T-Mobile did charge you to call a 0845 number instead  they are clearly at fault.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2012 at 2:10am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 8:15am

Excluding certain 01/02 numbers from inclusive packages is not unknown. Isle of Man and Channel Islands numbers sometimes fall into this nasty little trap. However, the exclusions must be spelt out somewhere in the terms and conditions. Even if they are in the T&C they may well not be enforceable if they are regarded as unfair.

As Dave has said, it is an overarching principle of UK telephony that you are billed for the number you dial, in accordance with the T&C of your contract.

I'm afraid you will need to use a bigger stick. Follow the complaints procedure and put it in writing or consider writing to the MD.

IP Logged

zarrafak

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:31am

I had no idea this could happen
- I always use alternative geographic nos for IR self assessment and bank/insurance enquiries - often using the "If calling from abroad" option (when I can't get a "Say No" alternative).

I've been questioned by receptionists a few times as to why I didn't use their widely-publicised 0845 numbers. Usually, I inform them (politely!) that as I've already paid the call charge upfront in my all-inclusive "anytime" phone package, I should not be paying for any landline calls.
Also that as the call is to allow the organisation the opportunity to correct their error I should not be charged anyway.

- As I understand the receptionist can still then route the call through the premium number? - Is this as simple as call-diverting an unavailable landline to a mobile number?

I have often blamed my son at the month end for premium call charges appearing on my all-inclusive account. Maybe I was mistaken? I'll have to check more closely.

How do I avoid this? Anyone?

P.S.
For Inland Revenue, Family Credits, and maybe some other public bodies (publc service pensions?), there is often a Northern Ireland based office and number, usually with a landline alternative. They tend to be quieter/less busy than their GB mainland equivalents, and often only too happy to process enquiries.   
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:41am by zarrafak »  

IP Logged

catj

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:52am

mcstoke wrote on Feb 13th, 2012 at 10:33pm:
I have spoken to T mobile and they confirm that the 01 numbers are technically still 08 numbers and are charged as such

T-Mobile are wrong.

You should be billed for the number you dialled.

If you dialled " zero one ... " then you should be billed for a call to an 01 number.

That is the law.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 8:39pm

zarrafak wrote on Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:31am:
I had no idea this could happen
- I always use alternative geographic nos for IR self assessment and bank/insurance enquiries - often using the "If calling from abroad" option (when I can't get a "Say No" alternative).

I've been questioned by receptionists a few times as to why I didn't use their widely-publicised 0845 numbers. Usually, I inform them (politely!) that as I've already paid the call charge upfront in my all-inclusive "anytime" phone package, I should not be paying for any landline calls.
Also that as the call is to allow the organisation the opportunity to correct their error I should not be charged anyway.

Hello and welcome to SayNoTo0870.com.

If you find an alternative number which is not listed on this site, then please share it so that we can share it with others. This is how the site has such an extensive list of numbers. Similarly, let us know of any numbers that don't work (say why, not recognised, always busy etc) so that they may be removed. And notify us of unverified entries that can be promoted to the verified listings.

I encourage users to register in the forum and post such notifications in the forum (in the Requests section) or by private message.

Where a published 08 Business Rate number is for a particular department (e.g. customer services), and an alternative number is found to be a general number for the company's office (e.g. it goes through to reception or switchboard), then there should be a note to that effect. This is so as to avoid embarrassment or surprise so that prospective users know that it isn't a direct alternative. Where it doesn't say that it is "Switchboard", then please let us know so that a note can be added.

zarrafak wrote on Feb 26th, 2012 at 10:31am:
- As I understand the receptionist can still then route the call through the premium number? - Is this as simple as call-diverting an unavailable landline to a mobile number?

I have often blamed my son at the month end for premium call charges appearing on my all-inclusive account. Maybe I was mistaken? I'll have to check more closely.

How do I avoid this? Anyone?

Calls should be charged as per the number that is dialled as that is what a telephone company (the one the caller subscribes to) is bound to do legally. In general, I believe that the vast majority of calls to alternative numbers do not incur premium charges (as if the 08 number had been dialled). There are a few reported cases of telephone companies imposing illegal charges on callers. That is what they are; illegal. The SayNoTo0870 campaign has not failed simply because other parties engage in these unscrupulous practices. I emphasise that it is the caller's telephone company which bills the call and which is therefore in the wrong.

There are essentially two ways that a call to a switchboard can be forwarded on:
  • To another internal number (extension).

• To an external number, such as the published 08 Business Rate number. Where this is the case, another call is placed from the office to the 08 number and it therefore incurs the charge for 08 number and not the caller that has dialled the 01/02 number. When the call is put through, the company's phone system connects your incoming call to that of the outgoing 08 number. That is, the path or route of your call goes from your phone to the office you initially called and out again to the 08 number and remains so until you terminate the call.

In either case, you might hear a message giving you the cost of the call (even though you did not dial the 08 number). This (assuming that the message relates to the cost of the 08 number) is applicable only had you dialled via the 08 number (and perhaps only applicable when the call is made via one particular provider, e.g. BT; but that's another matter!).

This is because when you call the 08 number, it puts the call through to a 01/02 number. The ringing you hear and the answering of the call (if you did call it!) is on the 01/02 number (which is unknown to you). Thus, when you hear the message telling you that it is costing you 5 pence per minute from a BT line, the message is played out by the 01/02 number. If you call that number directly, or you are put through internally to the same destination, it stands to reason that you will hear the same message.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 8:47pm

Hi Dave

I have aquired the Geo number for Wigan JCP 0845 6088503
it is 01942 626001   This has come from another Forum by a Poster that works at JCP and posted for cheaper contact of the person she was advising. Have not confirmed myself.There is only one JCP in Wigan but Manchester has several with different actions so difficult to pin point.

I will make a note of the Thread and may PM to see if I can get any others - she seems to have access to some JCP Geo numbers but dont know how many until I PM and try for any other.

Hope this helps - will try to get our Local JCP
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:15pm by speedy »  

IP Logged

Dean J

Reply #8 - May 24th, 2012 at 6:32pm

Another number on which you can also contact Wigan JCP is 01942 752167. I used this number today, so know it's valid.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2012 at 7:13pm

Dean J wrote on May 24th, 2012 at 6:32pm:
Another number on which you can also contact Wigan JCP is 01942 752167. I used this number today, so know it's valid.

Hello Dean and welcome to SayNoTo0870.

I've put this number in the verified listings for Wigan Jobcentre Plus.

Please let us know of any other updates or additions you have for the database and this can be for anything. Likewise, if you find a number that doesn't work any more (it can be useful to know what's wrong with it, so please say, e.g. not recognised, rings unanswered, etc.), please let us know so we can remove it. And the same goes for unverified entries that you find work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge