Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom 2012 consultation on non-geo numbers (Read 53,063 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Ofcom 2012 consultation on non-geo numbers
Apr 5th, 2012 at 12:39am

Ofcom has launched another consultation on non-geographic numbers. See the news release:

Simplified call charges to help consumers

Quote:
New proposals

Ofcom is proposing simpler numbering ranges for non-geographic calls, including:
  • Freephone (080 and 116 numbers) to be free from all telephones – including landlines and mobile phones; and
  • Revenue sharing ranges (08, 09 and 118 numbers) to have a new, standardised structure which will spell out the charge made by the phone company and the additional charges paid to the company being called.
  • We also will remove some of the existing confusion around the 0845/0870 numbers and reinforce the 03 range where the cost of calls are the same price as calling a geographic number (i.e. numbers staring in 01 or 02).

Revenue sharing numbers

When a consumer phones a revenue sharing number, the price paid is divided between the phone company, who connect the call, and the call service, who receive the call.

Under the new proposals, the call cost will be ‘unbundled’ so that consumers will know exactly how much is paid to their phone provider and how much is passed on to other companies. The cost would therefore be made up of two parts:
  • an Access Charge – a set price, in pence per minute, which goes to the phone company connecting the call (this will be set out in the consumer’s tariff package); and
  • a Service Charge – the price, in pence per minute, paid to the terminating provider and the company providing the service.

A representative of the Fair Telecoms Campaign will be discussing this consultation on BBC Radio Wales this morning at 6:45am (click the link to listen online).

The topic will also be discussed on the Annie Othen Show on BBC Coventry & Warwickshire at 10am this morning.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Re: Ofcom 2012 consultation on non-geo numbers
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 12:28am

This has to be a record for Ofcom - 892 pages. Every year or two, Ofcom launches increasingly lengthy consultations that almost guarantee no engagement with the public. It has reached the stage where it is pointless for an average consumer to respond. Each consultation is followed by inaction, largely ignoring consumer concern, and shifting the problem elsewhere so that another consultation can take place at a later stage. Repeat as necessary. This regulator is out of control.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:46am

This may sound like I'm being negative but I'm not yet convinced this unbundling will make much difference.  I have only scanned the summary as the indepth consultation is obviously designed for stakeholders.

Yes, I agree that it will be more transparent but that's about it.

A company using a 0844 number now that state, "This call will cost you 5 pence per minute on a BT line, calls may vary on other landline providers and cost considerably more on a mobile".

Presumably under the new proposals this would be advertised as 'Calls cost 3ppm plus your phone company's access charge'

Now to me, the first one gives as accurate as reasonably can be description of the cost of the call per minute.

Most people don't know how much their own telecom providers charge for calls now despite that they are obliged to provide this information on their website but even now it's rare to see this as its normally buried away somewhere hard to find along with the cost of calls in general (not just to NGN ranges).

I'm guessing here but presumably the money that OCPs get from calls to 0844 (costing 5ppm now, for example) is about 2ppm and although it varies between OCPs its approximately the same.  The remaining 3ppm obviously being split between the TCP and the called party.

The only main exception to this, that I know of, is VirginMedia who charge the most for calls to 0844 numbers so VirginMedia probably get a lot more than in my example above.

Now even if Ofcom tries to make the OCPs provide information on their 'access' charge under the new proposal then there is still no guarantee that anyone will look on their OCPs website for such information because they'll probably hide it like they do now even though they aren't meant to.  That is, assuming, everyone has access to the internet to get this 'access' charge information.

I believe (although I don't want to) that most joe public wont bother with the hassle of trying to determine how much this 'access' charge is hence will just assume (or hope) that it's not far from the 'service' charge description they have seen (ie 3ppm in this example).

As for name and shame a company over their 'service charge' isn't likely to be that effective because they can just say that the TCP receives the most money and it is used for intelligent call routing etc.

The good thing is about this unbundling is that it will highlight just how much money VirginMedia get from the call compared to other OCPs.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:04pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:46am:
This may sound like I'm being negative but I'm not yet convinced this unbundling will make much difference.  I have only scanned the summary as the indepth consultation is obviously designed for stakeholders.

Yes, I agree that it will be more transparent but that's about it.

[…]

I've used some terms here which you may not understand. The explanation at the end of this posting sets out what these are to help in your understanding.

The proposal is that for each tariff/package, there should be one Access Charge (AC) for all 084/087/09 non-geographic calls. This is the subject of question 10.1 which I've quoted below. So it won't matter which type of number you're dialling, the AC will be the same. Also, providers might choose to make ACs inclusive.

ACs will become another charge that people look out for, in just the same way as they do for calls to landlines and calls to mobiles now.

Thus, there will be need for long documents which list different charges for each 08xx xxx block in order to have an appreciation for the cost of a particular call. The point is that the bit of the charge that varies by sub-prefix would be declared by the user of the number (which is the Service Provider).

The Service Charge (SC) is the amount that is passed on to the Terminating Communication Provider (TCP). By definition, it is given to the benefit of the Service Provider (SP).

SPs frequently say that they don't receive revenue payments from their 08 number provider (the TCP). Where revenue payments are made, this is the excess left from the inflated Termination Charge after the TCP has taken its payment for the service it provides.

Those SPs that do not receive any direct revenue payments and do not take benefit to the value of the inflation of the Termination Charge are thereby leaving their TCP to take unearned income. This is worse and could demonstrate a lack of business nouse in "value for money" with respect to procurement.

I say "could" because it is not clear that the inflated Termination Charge exists at present anyway, and many might not understand what it is. The official SC will make clear that this exists, not only to the Caller, but to the user of the 08 number as well.

From the consultation:

Q10.1: Do you agree with our proposal that the AC should be allowed to vary between tariff packages but that OCPs should be subject to a tariff principle permitting only one AC for non-geographic calls? If not please explain why.

To view the questions, go to the page for this consultation and view Annexes 1-7. Question 10.1 is on page 6 (which is page 7 of that PDF).

Or to view the question in context, see Section 10 which is in Part B and starts on page 96 (page 97 of this PDF). Section 10 is all about the design of the unbundled tariff.

Explanation of terms

I've used some terms here and they refer to the parties involved when a telephone call is made. Hopefully this simple diagram of the parties involved, along with an explanation of the terms, should help in your understanding:

[ Caller ]---[ OCP ]=====[
X
]=====[ TCP ]---[ SP ]

It's important (in fact crucial) to appreciate that the phone network (as a whole) is made up of different providers which interconnect with one another. This means that any individual call should be pictured as involving two different providers.

In the diagram above, the
green bits
represent the caller's leg of the call, the
blue bits
represent the receiver's (or Service Provider's) leg of the call, and the red
X
is the connection between the two parties.

• OCP
    is the telephone company that the caller is with and the letters stand for "Originating Communication Provider". A call is said to be "originated" when a caller requests connection to a particular destination via his or her provider.

• TCP
    is the telephone company that provides the 08 number on behalf of the Service Provider. The acronym stands for "Terminating Communication Provider". Where the call ends, it is said to be "terminated".

• SP
    stands for "Service Provider" and it is the organisation that the Caller is ringing. For example, a government department, bank or insurance company.

• X
    is the interconnection between the caller's and receiver's telephone companies (which are the OCP and TCP, respectively. The TCP imposes a charge on the OCP, known as a Termination Charge, for onward connection. Think of
    X
    as being the demarkation point between the two parties.

For "normal" calls to landlines and 03 numbers there is a small Termination Charge. These are inflated where 084, 087 and 09 numbers are concerned and this extra bit is what the Service Charge is.

The presence of the SC affects the caller irrespective of whether the TCP pays the SP directly. The less the SP takes in direct payments, the more the TCP gets to keep on any particular number sub-range. Thus, the SC is always to the benefit of the user of the number.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:07pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
fairtelecoms guide to responding to Ofcom consulta
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:19pm

The fair telecoms campaign has drawn up a guide for responding to the consultation.

Unlike the consultation itself, our guide is short an fits on two A4 pages. The consultation runs to over 900 pages, including annexes!

We believe that consumers should support the proposals of the unbundled tariff. This will hopefully bring much-needed clarity to what is happening now.

It's taken a long time to get this far, and I wouldn't disagree with anyone who says that the regulator has wasted time, but we are where we are. The changes being put forward are major and therefore perhaps justify the monumental size of the consultation. Hopefully, the regulator cannot be accused of not considering and consulting on the many aspects of the changes.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:37pm

Dave wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:04pm:
The proposal is that for each tariff/package, there should be one Access Charge (AC) for all 084/087/09 non-geographic calls. This is the subject of question 10.1 which I've quoted below. So it won't matter which type of number you're dialling, the AC will be the same.
I believe this would help.

Quote:
Also, providers might choose to make ACs inclusive.
The only way for this to work is to make either line rental or pay-monthly tariffs more expensive or offer less inclusive things like minutes.  Personally, I would like the AC not to be inclusive.

Quote:
ACs will become another charge that people look out for, in just the same way as they do for calls to landlines and calls to mobiles now.
Do you mean that when, for example, a mobile provider is advertising their tariffs (inclusive minutes/texts, etc) that it is mentioned on the same page and not buried away in some pdf or elsewhere on their website like it basically is now?

This would help but if they (OCPs) bury it somewhere else like in a pdf then it will be no different than now.

Most people I know have only a vague idea of what their OCP charges for things.

Quote:
Those SPs that do not receive any direct revenue payments and do not take benefit to the value of the inflation of the Termination Charge are thereby leaving their TCP to take unearned income. This is worse and could demonstrate a lack of business nouse in "value for money" with respect to procurement.
I agree but I think most SPs do receive benefit from their 08 provider whether that is in call routing and other services.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:38pm

The precise impact of the unbundled tariff will depend on how it changes behaviour.

Where organisations currently give an “honest” indication of the call cost (typically by giving only the BT pence per minute rate) and will continue to use the same number, then little will change. The amount will essentially remain the same, but it will be made clear that this is the charge that they levy in addition to what is charged by the telephone company.

There are very few who make this clear at present. Even bbb_uk has been misled into thinking that BT currently retains some of its charge, when it is prevented from doing so by regulation, which will be removed under the new regime. It is BT which is the exceptional case, not Virgin Media, albeit that the latter does have some odd ways with its charges.

With a single “Access Charge” rate to cover all non-geographic calls, there will be two effects. Firstly, telcos will be required to keep this low as a result of the transparency it will have in comparison tables etc. Even though this will only directly affect those who look at prices, there is enough competition in the market for all to benefit as a result. Secondly, the fact that it is a single figure per tariff, will mean that there is no justification for hiding it and there is some chance that those who care about costs will note and remember it.

Although provider’s telephone tariffs will still have to include extensive tables for the costs of international calls, the lengthy and complex tables of rates for UK non-geographic calls will simply disappear from individual tariff publications. There will be just one UK table which gives the bands and rates of “Service Charge” applicable to all ranges of non-geographic numbers. This will be published either by Ofcom, or by the industry body that will take responsibility for maintaining it.

The responsibility for advising the level of “Service Charge” to consumers will apply to the Service Provider and it will have to be given for each number, avoiding the need to look at complex tables of charges. The published table will only be required by the telcos for the purpose of billing and by consumers in the case of disputes.

It is my belief that the obligation to declare the Service Charge will have the most significant impact on those who could not do so. I believe that many current users of 0845 and 0844 numbers will be compelled to migrate to 03 numbers or return to geographic numbers, simply because they could not sustain or justify the open imposition of a charge on callers.

Where, for example, a 0845 number is used for a contact centre, I cannot see how one could justify a charge of 10p for a call that lasts 5 minutes when the cost of handling that call is likely to be in the region of £5. If there is any justification for charging the caller, then the charge should bear some relation to the costs involved. I am happy to make this argument, because I think it unlikely that many will adopt £1 per minute PRS numbers for these types of service.

We must also remember the impact of Article 21 of the Consumer Rights Directive, which must be incorporated into UK legislation by the end of 2013 to take effect in 2014. (See this link)

Quote:
where the trader operates a telephone line for the purpose of contacting him by telephone in relation to the contract concluded, the consumer, when contacting the trader is not bound to pay more than the basic rate.

(Article 17 confirms that this “shall apply to sales and service contracts and to contracts for the supply of water, gas, electricity, district heating or digital content”)

With an unbundled tariff in place, there can be no silly arguments based on relative call costs to suggest that 084 numbers are ever charged at “the basic rate”. The very statement that the requirement “shall be without prejudice to the right of telecommunication services providers to charge for such calls” makes it very clear that the separated Service Charge causes the consumer “to pay more than the basic rate”.

The Consumer Rights Directive does not apply to public sector service providers or their agents (e.g. NHS GPs). The clear separation of the Service Charge will however ensure that the government takes a clear line on how it raises money from citizens. If it wishes continue to impose or permit a charge on access to NHS services by telephone, on those enquiring about their taxes, benefits or state pensions and on those seeking help getting work, then it must be clear and open about this.

I personally think it unlikely that the present government would be prepared to argue that this is a valid way of addressing the deficit, however we will shortly be able to see it address this point directly.

The fair telecoms campaign is engaged in drawing these forthcoming provisions to the attention of those who will be governed by them. We see every reason for both private and public sector organisations to come to terms with the reality which will shortly be reflected in regulation and take the necessary steps now, rather than being dragged kicking and screaming into doing the right thing.

If you need a non-geographic number, but cannot justify imposing a charge on those who call it - switch to 03 NOW

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:36am

bbb_uk wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 4:37pm:
Quote:
Also, providers might choose to make ACs inclusive.
The only way for this to work is to make either line rental or pay-monthly tariffs more expensive or offer less inclusive things like minutes.  Personally, I would like the AC not to be inclusive.

Quote:
Do you mean that when, for example, a mobile provider is advertising their tariffs (inclusive minutes/texts, etc) that it is mentioned on the same page and not buried away in some pdf or elsewhere on their website like it basically is now?

This would help but if they (OCPs) bury it somewhere else like in a pdf then it will be no different than now.

Most people I know have only a vague idea of what their OCP charges for things.

ACs will mainly be "per minute" charges. I say "mainly" as there are a few "per call" charges, so I assume that "per call" ACs might come into existance, although that's just a guess on my part.

ACs will be expected to be advised at point of sale and on bills and so on.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 1:03am

How will it work in practice? I'll guess the vast majority will fail to state the prices or will inadvertantly mangle the wording to hide the costs.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=0845+AND+"local+rate"+OR+"lo-call+rate"+

Nearly every telecoms provider still erroneously refers to 0845 numbers as "local rate" or "lo-call rate" many years after this became untrue.

Look back in another five years and I'd expect the vast majority to still have that wording. Ofcom can write 800 page documents or 8000 page documents but there's no way they will be able to force 700 000 websites to adopt new wording. They haven't got the manpower to begin checking yet alone send out a load of letters and emails.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 1:10am by catj »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 1:45am

catj wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 1:03am:
How will it work in practice? I'll guess the vast majority will fail to state the prices or will inadvertantly mangle the wording to hide the costs.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=0845+AND+"local+rate"+OR+"lo-call+rate"

Nearly every telecoms provider still erroneously refers to 0845 numbers as "local rate" or "lo-call rate" many years after this became untrue.

Look back in another five years and I'd expect the vast majority to still have that wording. Ofcom can write 800 page documents or 8000 page documents but there's no way they will be able to force 700 000 websites to adopt new wording. They haven't got the manpower to begin checking yet alone send out a load of letters and emails.

You make a very good point.

Ofcom would not itself apply this regulation anyway. The only way it could do it directly is by extending the legal definition of PRS to cover 084, so that PhonePay Plus would have to define and enforce the rules - this is nonsense.

There are however a number of ways in which the requirement could be brought into effect with the necessary degree of regulatory support and enforcement.

Most organisations will follow an acknowledged standard. The principle of using BT rates with a qualification has been adopted widely, even though it is widely misleading. The reference to "local rate" is still present in the published National Numbering Scheme, even though the context in which it is given is now irrelevant.

I believe that it is largely a matter of getting the right practice accepted - there will always be those who will set out to lie and deceive. The problem is that there is an implicit deceit in current accepted practice, which is followed by those with no ill-intent, who simply know no better.

The fair telecoms campaign response to the Ofcom consultation (currently being drafted) will address ways in which bodies such as the OFT, TSI, CAP, statutory sectoral regulators, industry self-regulatory bodies and the Cabinet Office will need to be drawn into the implementation process. This will enable standards declared by Ofcom to be endorsed and enforced.

IP Logged

catj

Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 9:36am

The biggest problem is that companies don't update their website content very often. Even if they received a letter telling them that the wording for 084 numbers must be updated, most would have no clue where on their website all instances of such wording occurred. Many others would fail to identify that they need to make any changes at all.

Although not quite the same thing, evidence for the lethargy can be seen in the number of companies that still believe that London has three area codes: 0203, 0207 and 0208, Southampton has two area codes: 02380 and 02381 (all incorrect for 12 years now), Bristol has two area codes: 01173 and 01179, and Sheffield has two area codes: 01158 and 01159 (all incorrect for 17 years now). Many compnies can't be bothered to get their own phone numbers right, why would they now spend extra effort to clearly inform their customers they are also being charged a premium to place the call?

Any such change by Ofcom would need a huge publicity campaign to get even 10% compliance. It's a nice idea but in practice it is likely to be ignored by the vast majority.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:51am

catj wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 9:36am:
… It's a nice idea but in practice it is likely to be ignored by the vast majority.

Catj

If I have missed your alternative proposal, then please forgive the following response.

The fair telecoms campaign exists to see that issues which can be addressed are dealt with effectively. This may well be less quickly than we wish and inevitably without 100% success (although with more than 10%).

This forum and the Which? conversations appear to be well populated by those who share the alternative view - that nothing can be done. This causes me to wonder why people waste their energy by contributing to what they see as a hopeless cause, unless they simply enjoy moaning and mocking those who are earnestly looking for solutions and seeking to promote support for positive proposals.

We urge those who believe that there is some useful purpose to be served by engaging in these issues to support Ofcom by a brief positive response to its consultation and by registering their support for the fair telecoms campaign.

We are happy to explain why we believe that all is not hopeless and to join in debate about which potential solutions are likely to be most effective. We do however try to avoid wasting too much energy on battling with those who agree that there is a problem but do not believe that it can be addressed, rather than those who do not wish it to be addressed for more significant reasons. Our main target is those who genuinely accept the principle of fairness but are, often unintentionally, engaged in unfair practice. We believe that they are perhaps far more numerous than some assume.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 10:53am

Dave wrote on Jun 24th, 2012 at 12:36am:
ACs will be expected to be advised at point of sale and on bills and so on.
Can I clarify what you mean by expected?  Is it Ofcoms intention that this will be mandatory or that simply they hope OCPs will be forthcoming?

Going by past experience, a few years ago Ofcom changed General Condition 14.2 so that OCPs would make more prominent call charges for NTS number just as they did their geographical call charges.

I bet you now a lot of OCPs don't fully comply with this GC.  In fact, looking at BT's website they don't even mention how much calls to geographical numbers cost or even provide an easily accessible link to see call charges.  I bet if I was to spend the time looking I could find it but who is going to do this?

So basically if they don't do this now even though they are obliged to then why will it change under Ofcom's new proposals?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:13am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:38pm:
Where organisations currently give an “honest” indication of the call cost (typically by giving only the BT pence per minute rate) and will continue to use the same number, then little will change. The amount will essentially remain the same, but it will be made clear that this is the charge that they levy in addition to what is charged by the telephone company.

There are very few who make this clear at present. Even bbb_uk has been misled into thinking that BT currently retains some of its charge, when it is prevented from doing so by regulation, which will be removed under the new regime.
It is my understanding that BT is allowed to keep some costs for originating the call albeit smaller amounts than other OCPs may do so.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:21am

Just looked up costs for what I assume would be advertised now as a 5ppm call (a 08 'g20' call).

BT (when I eventually found it) said it costs 5.05ppm and on TalkTalk it's 5.06ppm.

Basically, as I said earlier, most OCPs last I checked generally charge around the same so the old pricing is more accurate to the true cost of the call.

But this exact same call under the new proposals would mean it's advertised as (just guessing) 3ppm service charge and then us joe public then have to know what the price of the Access Charge is and if they (the OCPs) go out of their way to hide like they do now with calls to NTS numbers then joe public will be worse off and more confused about the cost of these calls.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2012 at 11:23am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge