Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WHO CHECKS NUMBERS ? (Read 12,676 times)
gc

WHO CHECKS NUMBERS ?
Aug 13th, 2012 at 9:01pm

WHO CHECKS YOU HAVE THE CORRECT NUMBER?
I have had about a week of callers calling my home number day and night as it as listed as British Airways main switchboard on this site. Very unproffesional, that you can put numbers on your site without checking them first. I will be looking into this further as I definately want to know who put our number on in the first place and to find out who regulates you as they need to hear about this  Angry!!
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2012 at 9:16pm by gc »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Re: WHO CHECKS NUMBERS ?
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2012 at 11:23pm

GC,

I am sorry that you have had your number put on this site.. All numbers are provided by visitors to the site. It's entirely voluntary...

I would recommend contacting the owner if you wish to raise any complaints.

As far as I am aware the site is NOT regulated, and does not need to be...

I would also recommend contacting Dave or another Moderator to have the number removed.

Was it verified or unverified?

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

gc

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 7:04am

think it was unverified. How do we find out who put our number on ? And you have to agree this system is left wide open to abuse. Surely until a number is verified it should not be displayed

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 11:06am

gc,

it is a difficult system. however it relies on honesty of those adding the numbers...

I will send one of the moderators a message now letting them know of this post.

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

catj

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 12:37pm

How long have you owned the number? Could it have been used by the other place years ago?

Could it be a simple typo?

Never assume malice when there's some other possible explanation. Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:37pm

I am sorry for the nuisance caused by your number appearing on SayNoTo0870.com. This is not what it is here for and certainly not why I am interested in the site.

I am a volunteer moderator in the forum and I also help by finding alternatives and as an administrator of the database. I joined the site because I was appalled about the widespread use of expensive numbers. I like the idea of helping people avoid these charges by way of alternatives, although I appreciate that this isn’t an end-solution to the problem.

I am infuriated to find that some have chosen to take information from this site whilst apparently paying no regard to putting anything back into it. They have no consideration for others, including the party that is receiving the erroneous calls, fellow site users who waste their time ringing an incorrect number, as well as those who contribute their time to maintaining the listings. I wish that people who behave in this manner would go away and stop using the site.

I believe that the site is a force for good because it allows people to share numbers they find. As a voluntary site, for this to work effectively, users really need to notify where they find that a number listed is not a suitable alternative.

The more people see fit not to do this, the more inaccurate the listings become and the less effective the site becomes. What has happened here is the worst-case outcome of an incorrect listing where an unconnected party has been subjected to repeated misdirected calls.

I hope that the inaction by some will not spoil it for the rest and that the service will not close.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:42pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gc

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 5:38pm

Owned the number since 1979

IP Logged

gc

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 6:31pm

Our number has been removed now. as said above we have had the number since the 70's, we have always been what used to be known as X directory. So I hope you do appreciate how annoying it was to have a massive influx of calls, not only that but because we answered with hello the vast majority of callers just hung up !!!
The only reason I joined this forum was because when we sent an email explaining our number had been listed in error it does say that emails may not be replied to, so I felt i had no choice. I am still  convinced that our number was added deliberately and would love to know who by. And as all forum members have to register the mods would have an email of the person at the very least.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2012 at 3:04pm

Dave,

I thing gc has raised a very important issue here that really needs to be addressed by this site since with 60 million people in the UK with numerous personality types clearly certain sad individuals may be inclined to list the home number of someone they for whatever reasons dislike as being the main call centre number for BA or some other large company or organisation.

To protect this from happening to anyone repeatedly it seems to me the site needs to hold a database of numbers of individuals who have had their home phone number previously added to the website by a malicious person and to block those numbers from then in future being readded back to the website by the malicious prankster as a verified number.

Of course I am sure that in many cases this also does not happen maliciously but due to finger trouble where someone trying to add an Unverified alternative accidentally mistypes it and then either does not realise they have done this or cannot correct their error due to a typo as there is currently no editing facility by the Contributor on an Unverified Number that they have contributed.

This leads me to a further point which is surely that we should only allow registered forum members to contribute alternative numbers so that if a malicious person is regularly contributing wrong numbers or the numbers of their former friends/now enemies it becomes easier to track (I know they could in theory register numerous member accounts but this could probably be limited by tracking IP addresses) .  Also by allowing only registered forum members to contribute numbers the right to edit numbers by the contributor could then be provided through their member account which would then list all the numbers they have contributed to the site over time along with an Edit/Delete facility.

Also I suppose it could be useful to add a facility to star rate any Unverified number listings for accuracy and/or to comment on the accuracy of alternative numbers so that if any numbers started to acquire minus five star ratings from site users they could then be urgently reviewed by forum administrators or the website owner.

Overall I think the person making the complaint here has a valid point as whilst we clearly do not have the resources to verify every alternative number added to the site (I expect you will recall that I am probably one of the main reasons that the previous policy of only listing Verified numbers was altered due to my pointing out the huge backlog that then existed in the number Verification process and that was then the site was much less busy than it is today) there is more we could do to stop normal individuals having their numbers listed as an Unverified alternative either in error or deliberately by a prankster.

On that final thought I suppose it would be possible to add a Report Incorrect Alternative Number button next to every entry in the database so that if an Unverified number was inaccurate it was easy to report it.  Or I suppose such reports could lead to the Unverified number being temporarily suppressed from the listings until such time as the forum administrators had time to review its accuracy.  Since I am sure certain hard core 084/7 number users will report their own alternative geographic numbers as incorrect the matter would then be resolved by either promoting the number to Verified (where it could not be delisted by a simple click button report of it being incorrect) or by it being deleted or permanently blocked from readdition to the database (to deal with pranksters trying to cause nuisance calls to their friends).

I hope all of these various suggestions are of some use.

<div style=

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge