Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unwelcome International Phone Calls (Read 9,208 times)
lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Unwelcome International Phone Calls
Dec 13th, 2012 at 5:43pm

I've recently been subjected to regular calls from unknown International Numbers  -- India/Pakistan ? and of course like everybody on the telephone preference service still receive those unwelcome calls whether number withheld or not !

Usual stuff "something wrong with your computer" and believe it or not "what type of washing machine did I like" etc.

Being a normally quiet sort of person I put up with this for some months but eventually they 'broke me'.

I shouted down the phone- called them scammers and suggested that they get a real job etc etc
Now ?
Well I believe I am on their mechanical circular phone calls system (4 times each day)

I am with SKY and have just added protection from withheld numbers at a monthly cost of £4.00 which in principle really annoys me because calls from real friends from abroad will probably also be rejected.

Any advice ? Have I done the right thing ?
Will this work

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Unwelcome International Phone Calls
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2012 at 6:07pm

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) maintains a list of phone numbers of people who don't wish to receive marketing calls. Responsible and legitimate call centres then screen their list of numbers with those on the TPS. Thus, the TPS does not act to "prevent" any calls.

Scammers operate outside of the law and therefore aren't likely to ensue that there victims are only those not on the TPS list. This would be like have an "opt-out of being burgled" list. Do you suppose that burglars will obey it?

And so you knew that this was a scam which obviously means that the TPS has no relevance here. Asking them not to call isn't likely to work. Getting irate just tells them that you are getting annoyed by their antics which is hardly likely to make them go away. You will have to put it down to experience.

The more people bar withheld numbers the more scammers will find ways around such blocks. As well as ringing people on the TPS, faking CLIs (they are the numbers presented on caller displays) is also illegal. Scammers aren't likely to think twice if this is what they need to do to get through.

Furthermore, as you say, you cannot receive wanted calls from withheld numbers.

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 10:36am

Thanks for the response Dave.
Since posting this I have researched and found that there is a device called True Call (Call Blocker +) that cost about £100 which can protect one from (probably) all unwanted calls.
Am strongly considering investing ...

It CAN block International Calls etc etc

IP Logged

allegro

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:33pm

If it's worth £100 to you then I reckon it will do the job. Unfortuantely £100 is a lot of money for a pretty simple bit of consumer electronics. It's the sort of thing that could probably be made and sold for £20 if, and only if, it's made and sold in large quantities. At £100 not many will sell so it's a bit chicken and egg. I'd certainly buy one at £20 but not at £100.

I don't know of any phone provider that offers it, but I reckon this sort of service could be offered centrally, just like the 1571 answering service. Just another bit of software at the exchange. I wonder if any phone provider might think of offering a flexible call blocking service for a £ or 2 per month. Something where the customer can customise the blocking just as they can for the True Call device.

PS: If you've got the time and inclination you can engage these nuisance callers in some fun conversations. If they say "how are you?" that's the cue for whole sob story. "I'm so glad you asked, it's been a terrible week, I've got a bad foot, the dog's died....." You get the idea. You can offer to sell them services (adult ones if you wish, no details, this is a family forum).

The most dangerous of these callers are the ones who. sound like you. For example if you're middle class and speak RP a guy speaking RP at the other end of the phone is more likely to convince you. How do you think Bernie Madoff did his massive con tricks: he preyed on his own people.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012 at 5:39pm by allegro »  

IP Logged

grun

glasgow
Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:26am

There seems that they are still a lot of people not using "sayno"
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/hmrc-phonecalls-cost-callers-%C2%A3136m-2.
I am using virgin for the fast internet but unfortunately have to pay a premium for inflated phone prices so Dave and co carry on doing a fantastic job
All the best for Xmas and a premium "free" 2013 take care 1 and all

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:43am

lavillegour wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 10:36am:
Since posting this I have researched and found that there is a device called True Call (Call Blocker +) that cost about £100 which can protect one from (probably) all unwanted calls.

It works for telephone(s) plugged into its output socket.

If you have only one telephone or multiple cordless handsets that run from the same base station then you should locate it next to it and plug the phone/base station into the trueCall.

If you have more than one extension (that you use), then you will either need to decide:
  • which is most important to put your trueCall on (so as to only have trueCall operating in conjunction with one phone), or;

• adjust your wiring so that the extensions are fed from the trueCall rather than directly from the master socket (so that it operates with all phones).
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:44am by Dave »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2012 at 7:08pm

lavillegour wrote on Dec 17th, 2012 at 10:36am:

I have also looked into this for my parents who are plagued with "foreign" calls on a regular basis.. However the cost was off putting to say the least..

I just looked on-line and found another company who offer one at £49.99.  CPR Call Blocker.

Worth a look,  Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge