Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC South East Today - NHS GPs 0844/0845 numbers (Read 12,991 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
BBC South East Today - NHS GPs 0844/0845 numbers
Feb 27th, 2013 at 12:27pm

BBC South East Today will be running pieces today on NHS GP practices with 0844/0845 phone numbers.

This is expected to be the lead story on the 13:30 programme and is also expected to feature on the evening one at 18:30.

If you have Freesat and BBC South East isn't your native region, you can view it on 983, or with Sky it is 963.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:43pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: BBC South East Today - NHS GPs 0844/0845 numbers
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 4:40pm

BBC Radio Surrey and Sussex will also be picking up on this news story with an item shortly after 5pm.

This is available to all to listen live and later.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:32pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21607607

South East GPs criticised for phone number charges

Dozens of GPs in the South East have been criticised for having 084 numbers, causing some patients to pay more to call their doctor.

Pressure group Fair Telecoms Campaign, said there were 28 surgeries in Sussex and 27 in Kent, with an 084 number.

The numbers can lead to callers paying more than an 01 number, despite government advice against this.

NHS Sussex said some GPs were tied into contracts for the numbers. However, NHS Kent and Medway supports a ban.

Ron Edwards, who was a full time carer to his wife Betty until she died over Christmas, used to ring his GP surgery frequently.

He said: "I was shocked when I saw my bill because this was something I thought should be free.

"The trouble is that very often you have to wait such a long time in a queue and that adds to the expense."

The Department of Health said it was "absolutely clear" that patients should not be charged more to contact their GP than they would to call a standard landline number.

A spokeswoman for NHS Sussex said no practice uses a premium rate number, but admitted that 084 numbers can cost more to call than other landlines.

She said many practices bought the 084 numbers to help with "directing callers to the right person".

She said: "Terminating 084 numbers before the end of the contract can incur heavy fees.

"In order to make the best use of public money some GP practices have taken actions such as offering an 01 number alongside the 084 number or calling patients back."

Dr James Thallon, medical director for NHS Kent and Medway, said the 084 numbers were not currently banned for GP practices but his trust would "strongly support" a total ban.

He added that the trust had encouraged GP practices to stop using the numbers.

"Patients should complain to their practice if they are concerned calls to their GP practice are costing more than a local rate call," he said.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013 at 7:37pm by sherbert »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:21pm

I can confirm that my GP and both practices of the GP my sister uses continue to use 0844 Numbers.  We are in East Sussex.

I did contact NHS Sussex and my MP who did absolutely nothing about it. Perhaps it's time to contact them again?

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:54pm

The coverage by BBC Radio Sussex is now available at http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/radio-player.html?85.

This concludes with a lengthy and interesting statement from NHS Sussex.

Brief coverage of the issue is planned to be a news story for Saturday morning on Arrow FM, Bright FM, Sovereign FM and Splash FM (commercial local radio stations across Sussex). Yet further major media coverage is being prepared.

From 1 April there will be a change in responsibility for GP contracts from PCTs to Local Area Teams of the NHS Commissioning Board - Surrey and Sussex will be one of these teams. There are other significant developments afoot.

All campaigners on this issue may consider themselves part of the fair telecoms campaign and feel comfortable in using any of its published material.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 7:48pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:54pm:
The coverage by BBC Radio Sussex is now available at http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/radio-player.html?85.

Brief coverage of the issue is planned to be a news story for Saturday morning on Arrow FM, Bright FM, Sovereign FM and Splash FM (commercial local radio stations across Sussex). Yet further major media coverage is being prepared.

All the listed radio stations are part of the same group. My nearest two are Arrow FM and Sovereign FM. I will try and find out when they are planning on running the story.

I would be happy to call in (they use 01 numbers) and make any comments regarding this ongoing situation.

Smiley

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 1:24pm

How can they continue to spout such nonsense? Are they stupid or do they actually know they are talking rubbish in the hope that we will go away?
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2013 at 1:25pm by kasg »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2013 at 4:51pm

kasg wrote on Mar 5th, 2013 at 1:24pm:

How can they continue to spout such nonsense? Are they stupid or do they actually know they are talking rubbish in the hope that we will go away?

The fair telecoms campaign is following up on this in a variety of ways, as it addresses the issue nationally. See also BBC Radio Berkshire: GPs and others - 084 to 034

We would be delighted to hear of an outraged Sussex or Surrey citizen (supporter of the campaign) who took them to task over this nonsense, and would be very happy to assist with such efforts. (N.B. NHS Sussex and Surrey are under common management.)

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:07pm

The statement from "NHS Sussex" read out on the BBC Surrey and Sussex item has also been published by the West Sussex County Times, as covered by this posting in another thread:

sherbert wrote on Mar 9th, 2013 at 11:31am:

The fair telecoms campaign has now published a response.

IP Logged

speedy

Dartford
Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:25pm

NHS Kent and Medway PCT Cluster (which includes Eastern Coastal) may say they would  'strongly Support a total ban' but doesnt that mean that they should have done something more than make the same claims for the last 2 years that Surrey and Sussex are making now. Kent and Medway are also recommending an alongside geo. line but that is not the answer and not Compliance.  Angry

If their efforts to date are a good example of Strong Support I dread to think what Not Supporting would have been.
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:30pm by speedy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge