Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013 (Read 157,604 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Ofcom consultation: Simplifying NGNs — April 2013
Reply #90 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 9:39pm

loddon wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 8:45pm:
Dave wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 3:54pm:
I'm not sure where you sourced this list from, but the parentheses around the 0844 prefix indicates that it can be omitted for callers dialling from a phone line with the same code.

I hadn't noticed the parentheses Dave, so I have checked the source.   It is Yahoo Local

http://uk.local.yahoo.com/Calne/SN11/Wiltshire/Doctors/uk100006006-s-26788490.ht...

On that site all area codes are set in parentheses including the non-geo ones.   Are you sayng they are wrong to do so?

This is obviously off-topic, *ahem*.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

The purpose of the brackets is to indicate that the bit inside is optional for those calling from a phone line with the same code. Thus it is correct for geographic area codes, with a few exceptions due to local dialling having been closed, but it has never been available to 0844 non-geographic numbers, just as it has never been available with mobile numbers, for example.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2013 at 9:40pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #91 - Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:11pm

Coming back to the approach taken by Germany: is it in addition to the unbundled tariff approach?

Does it mean that companies will have to pay for the call during periods where the call is in a queue or on hold? If so this will reduce the benefit of or otherwise make it not worth the company's while to use a Special Service number.

There is, as pointed out in reply #75, the question of whether the receiving party is the one which determines when the call is being "handled" and when it is waiting to be handled or on hold. If so then it makes me wonder whether some might not signal to the network accordingly in order to avoid incoming call charges for the periods when the caller isn't paying (assuming that such charges will be made).

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #92 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 1:04am

Dave wrote on Jul 6th, 2013 at 10:11pm:
…Does it mean that companies will have to pay for the call during periods where the call is in a queue or on hold? If so this will reduce the benefit of or otherwise make it not worth the company's while to use a Special Service number.…

Although Father Christmas, as we know him, probably originated in Germany, he is unlikely to serve the telecoms market, so someone will have to be paying for the use of the line during the period when the caller is on hold - and someone will be paying for the technology and administrative cost of splitting the charge for the call.

Given that the use of a Special Service number is justified, this additional cost would have to be taken into account in choosing the charge band applicable to the number. A justified Service Charge meets the costs incurred in providing the service.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #93 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 12:44pm

Sorry if it's already been covered, but do any of the well-informed persons who post here know what level of "access" and "service" charges we are in practice likely to see?
I would guess that BT etc will continue with their policy of pushing everyone to monthly "all the calls you can eat" tariffs. Does this mean that they will increase their monthly charge, but include the "access" element of calls to 08* ? For calls outside the monthly "bundle", will the access charge be the standard (deliberately punitive?) 15p "connection" plus 7p (or whatever) per minute?
Will there be tables showing "service" charges for 08***** "ranges" ? Or will we have to rely on all "service" users advertising their individual "service" charge?
So a call to 0844 from a BT landline may increase from the present (anomalous, and BT would claim subsidised?) 15p plus 5p a  minute, to 15p + 7p a minute "access" plus, for example, 5p a minute "service" ?
And do I understand correctly that the "service" charge will have to be shown separately on itemised bills?
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2013 at 12:50pm by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #94 - Sep 12th, 2013 at 5:49pm

There's a long process to go through to re-organise and consolidate similar Service Charges, but the levels are likely to be a penny or two above and then rounded up from the present BT retail price.

e.g. call currently advertised by BT as 5.1p/min plus 15p connection fee (with no profit made by BT due to the "NTS Condition"), might become 7p/min Service Charge on the new system.

Don't forget that the Service Charge hasn't changed in all the time these numbers have been in use, and that they first came into service in 2000. There's several other possibilities for the levels that are set, as there are many issues to resolve.

I am sure the Service Charge list will be published somewhere so that people can look these up when they need to do so.

The Access Charge will be interesting. Providers will obviously compete in some way as it will be much easier to compare them. I would hope for around 0p to 5p/min from landlines and 0p to 10p/min from mobiles. I suspect mobiles will be substantially higher than that, but I doubt that Ofcom will tolerate the current 30p/min and above levels that are currently charged by some networks... especially as the levels currently embedded within the call price charged by Tesco Mobile for 0844 numbers are around the ~3p/min mark - less than the equivalent charged by Virgin Media on calls made from landlines.

Connection fees on calls (to 084, 087 and 09 numbers) made from landlines are to be scrapped, replaced by a per-minute rate Access Charge.

On a call that costs 5p/min plus 15p connection fee on BT, Virgin Media currently charges 12p/min plus 16p connection fee. The Service Charge is ~7p/min on both calls.

Virgin may decide to set a ~5p/min Access Charge. I suspect BT will be less, and as you say, they may choose to make the Access Charge "inclusive" in call plans. For those callers without an inclusive call plan, it's anyone's guess what the level of Access Charge will be.

Most people should be on inclusive call plans. That will become ever more obvious as the use of 03 numbers continues to rise. It doesn't take many minutes of 01/02/03 calls per week at 9p/min plus 15p connection to justify swapping to an inclusive callplan for well under a tenner per month.

In the same way that BT used to have two versions of Anytime, one with cheap calls to mobiles and one without, I suspect there will be one version with the Access Charge inclusive for 084, 087 and 09 numbers and one where the Access Charge is a small pence-per-minute rate within each call.

Disclaimer: All of the above is speculation.
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2013 at 6:28am by Ian G »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #95 - Sep 13th, 2013 at 2:01am

Ian G wrote on Sep 12th, 2013 at 5:49pm:

Connection fees on calls made from landlines are to be scrapped, replaced by a per-minute rate Access Charge.

Whilst being less ready to speculate on the levels of Access Charge that are likely, I can endorse all of the comments made in this posting.

With reference to the specific quoted comment, I must point out that this applies only to calls covered by the unbundled tariff. Ofcom is keen for connection charges to be replaced by minimum charges / durations, as it will demand for calls covered by the unbundled tariff. It is however having enough trouble with getting this through to make it worthwhile to consider further regulation covering other type of calls for the time being.

Non-inclusive calls to geographic rate and mobile numbers etc. will continue to be subject to call setup fees / connection charges.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #96 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 7:47am

OFCOM have at last published their long awaited Press Release incorporating a STATEMENT on NON-GEOGRAPHIC NUMBERS following the three consultations which began in 2010 !!!

Telephone call charges to be made simpler
December 12, 2013

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/12/12/telephone-call-charges/

The Statement starts with the following introduction :---
"
● Clearer pricing for all numbers starting 08, 09 and 118

● 080 to be free from mobiles as well as landlines

The cost of calling businesses and services will become clearer for consumers under major changes to telephone charging, Ofcom announced today.

"The measures are designed to tackle consumer confusion1 about how much it costs to call companies, public bodies and other organisations on numbers starting 08, 09 and 118. These ‘non-geographic’ service numbers have a range of uses, from finding out information to banking, directory enquiry and entertainment services."
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013 at 7:59am by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #97 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:20am

We ask if OFCOM are aware of what is going on in the industry they are supposed to be regulating.  Roll Eyes  The statement today seems woefully out of touch with what is actually going on at present.  Undecided

For example Ofcom state "Benefits to consumers

Ofcom (want to) .....  restore consumer confidence in non-geographic service numbers and increase their usage
...."

We must ask if OFCOM have noticed that the largest Government organisations have moved, or have declared they will move, away from non-geographic numbers, such as HMRC, DWP, NHS.   And the largest of the Banks have moved or have declared their policy to move away from non-geo numbers such as NatWest (moved to 03 number last month), RBS, Barclays, HSBC.   Transport for London have dropped their 0843 and moved to 03 !!!

Industry and public services are moving away from non-geo numbers and the general public is delighted this is happening --- so what planet are OFCOM living on ??? Shocked

Ofcom demonstrate their weakness and incoherence by lamely stating later in the statement---

"Ofcom is actively encouraging public and not-for-profit bodies to use 03 numbers."

What evidence do Ofcom offer to support this statement   ???

The lack of rational thought and analysis and the poor but predicted outcome from all the consultations is revealed by this quiet and insipid release.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:22am by loddon »  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #98 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:28am

The press release which I referred to in posting #96   above contains an OFCOM error.   The link in that release goes to a consultation document on the future of 0500 numbers  NOT to the Statement which is actually here:-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/consultations/non-geo-statement-final.pdf
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013 at 9:24am by loddon »  
IP Logged

kasg

West Sussex
Reply #99 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:41pm

loddon wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:20am:

Ofcom (want to) .....  restore consumer confidence in non-geographic service numbers and increase their usage
...."

We must ask if OFCOM have noticed that the largest Government organisations have moved, or have declared they will move, away from non-geographic numbers, such as HMRC, DWP, NHS.   And the largest of the Banks have moved or have declared their policy to move away from non-geo numbers such as NatWest (moved to 03 number last month), RBS, Barclays, HSBC.   Transport for London have dropped their 0843 and moved to 03 !!!

03 numbers are non-geographic numbers and are certainly included in my definition of them. They just happen to be charged the same way as geographic numbers.

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #100 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:43pm

kasg wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:41pm:
loddon wrote on Dec 12th, 2013 at 8:20am:

...."

03 numbers are non-geographic numbers and are certainly included in my definition of them. They just happen to be charged the same way as geographic numbers.

Indeed.. and I doubt the consumers have "no faith" in using them.. they just seriously disliked being bled dry by having to call them!

Regards,

CJT-80

Any comments made are my own and are not those of SayNoTo0870.com

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #101 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 1:49pm

Coming back to the NGN Consultation.. this bit interests me...

"1.23 In order to ensure these different charges are made transparent to consumers, we are setting rules about the structure of the access and service charges so that consumers can more readily understand and, where appropriate, remember them. These include:
one access charge per tariff package, for calls to all unbundled non-geographic number ranges, though the access charge may be included in a bundle of inclusive minutes for some or all non-geographic numbers;
the access charge to be set as a simple 'pence per minute' rate;

each individual 084, 087, 09 or 118 number to have a single service charge that applies to calls to that number from all fixed and mobile phones;

with the exception of 118, there will be caps on the maximum rate of the service charge, according to the unbundled non-geographic number range.

For example, the cap on the rate of the service charge for numbers in the 084 ranges will be 7p (inc. VAT) and the cap for numbers in the 087 range will be 13p (inc. VAT);"

The part highlighted in bold... does this mean:

I ring an 084 number and the maximum per minute rate for it will be 7p inc VAT.. or

I ring an 084 number and the maximum "call connection" fee will be 7p inc VAT?

You can I hope appreciate MY confusion...

Huh

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #102 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 2:10pm

The maximum Service Charge will be 7p/min for 084 numbers and 13p/min for 087 numbers. This is to the benefit of the called party. This will be either a per-minute or a per-call rate.

Each phone company will set a single Access Charge per tariff that covers all 084, 087 and 09 numbers. This will be a per-minute rate. The Access Charge is allowed to be 0p/min (i.e. "inclusive").

The call price is the sum of the Access Charge and the Service Charge.

Call connection fees will be scrapped on 084, 087 and 09 numbers.

Calls may be subject to a minimum charge, perhaps equivalent to a one minute call. The precise details are down to each network to decide.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:34pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

Ian G

Reply #103 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 3:54pm

It may be informative to look at a real example.

When you call a number beginning 0844 477 your phone company pays 7p/min to the phone company of who you are calling. Other 084 numbers have an amount that varies from 2p/min to 7p/min depending on the first six digits of the telephone number called. There is nowhere you can easily find that information.

The "NTS Condition" means BT are not allowed to make profit on call origination.

BT currently charges 5.1p/min plus a 15p connection fee for that call, and, on aggregate, retains none of it.

Virgin Media landlines charge the same call at 12.4p/min plus a 16p connection fee.

Tesco Mobile charge the same call at 8p/min.

Orange mobiles charge the same call at 35p/min.

Vodafone mobiles charge the same call at 36p/min.

Virgin Mobile charge the same call at 41p/min.

None of these call prices give any indication of the 7p/min that they pass on, nor of how much they retain.

Consumers, especially those using mobile phones, are further misled because users of these numbers merely quote "calls cost 5p/min from BT, other providers may vary".

The "unbundled tariff" exposes where the money goes, and how much it is.

In future, the number user will declare the 7p/min Service Charge and note that the caller's phone network will add their Access Charge.

If total call prices remain much the same as now, then each of the above networks will declare the following Access Charges:

BT landlines: 0p/min.

Virgin Media landlines: ~8p/min.

Tesco Mobile: 1p/min.

Orange mobiles: 28p/min.

Vodafone mobiles: 29p/min.

Virgin Mobile: 34p/min.

The above figures now make it very easy to compare providers.

With the Access Charge exposed, those with excessive levels are also blatantly obvious. There are two important things to bear in mind.

Firstly, Ofcom are unlikely to tolerate Access Charges over, perhaps, 10p/min from landlines and 25p/min from mobiles. In general, call prices from mobiles are set to fall. Ofcom will be able to intervene where call prices are excessive and it will be much clearer to see when that is the case.

Secondly, phone networks must set a single Access Charge per tariff covering all 084, 087 and 09 numbers. This will naturally reign in the extremes of pricing.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:35pm by Ian G »  

IP Logged

CJT-80
Global Moderator

Manchester
Reply #104 - Dec 12th, 2013 at 4:32pm

I have to be honest I am now EVEN more confused!

Shocked

Regards,

CJT-80

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge