Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Calling UK non-geographic numbers from abroad (Read 3,656 times)
billco

Calling UK non-geographic numbers from abroad
Apr 25th, 2013 at 7:01pm

Not sure if this entirely relevant to this particular forum but there seems to be a further consideration other than cost. I needed to contact Ryanair Customer Services from Spain on my land-line to try to resolve a reservation problem. Repeated tries to several NGN numbers given on their web site for contacting from Spain resulted every time in a Moviestar (The Spanish telecom equivalent of BT) saying "No such number exists". Eventually I called Moviestar's customer services and they said that international calls to NGN numbers were not permitted from Spain. I eventually got through to Ryanair only by tracing and calling their corporate head office in Ireland on a normal land-line number and they then connected me to their Customer Services via their own central switchboard (was still local NGN link though).

~ Edited by Dave: Thread title amended
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2013 at 7:18pm by Dave »  
vickybillco  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Calling UK non-geographic numbers from abroad
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2013 at 7:17pm

billco wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 7:01pm:
Not sure if this entirely relevant to this particular forum but there seems to be a further consideration other than cost. I needed to contact Ryanair Customer Services from Spain on my land-line to try to resolve a reservation problem. Repeated tries to several NGN numbers given on their web site for contacting from Spain resulted every time in a Moviestar (The Spanish telecom equivalent of BT) saying "No such number exists". Eventually I called Moviestar's customer services and they said that international calls to NGN numbers were not permitted from Spain. I eventually got through to Ryanair only by tracing and calling their corporate head office in Ireland on a normal land-line number and they then connected me to their Customer Services via their own central switchboard (was still local NGN link though).

Hello and welcome to SayNoTo0870.com. I've moved your posting to a new thread.

This is another issue to do with non-geographic numbers, and particularly ones that carry a service charge. Even if you had been able to connect to the number, you would have no doubt been charged a small packet for the call.

This is the nature of premium numbers to foreign destinations. I suppose that operators have to watch out in that where they do allow these numbers to be called they must charge more than it costs them to connect the calls (and certainly not less).

Perhaps the sheer number of foreign destinations makes any task to keep track of the costs of connecting these calls an impossible one. It could be for that reason that they choose not to allow them to be called.

Should they charge less than it costs them then they will make a loss. As a result, they may fall victim to Artificial Inflation of Traffic (AIT). Individuals may register a premium number in a foreign country for which they will be paid for calls. If the cost of calling the number is below the payout then in so doing a profit can be generated. Obviously it is the foreign operator that will cop it because it will have to pay the operator of the premium number at least as much as it hands over to its customer.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2013 at 7:19pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge